• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte

Yeah, you are right. It's close enough though ;)

I expect Chelsea along any day now to sign him up. They are bare bones in the attacking midfielder department at the moment.

I just don't think we'll sign him. I personally think anyone we sign this season (bar strikers) will be players we haven't been linked or out of the blue signing. Sergi Roberto for example, we WERE linked with him but then nothing has been heard for weeks, months. Something like that.

Brazilian website Lancenet reports today that Tottenham will send scouts to the Confederations Cup in Brazil to watch Atletico Mineiro’s Bernard.

The 20-year-old attacking midfielder has featured for Brazil in their recent friendlies against England and France. Bernard is rated as one of the hottest prospects in the Campeonato Brasileiro.

Lancenet suggest Andre Villas-Boas has personally sent scouts to all of Brazil’s games at the upcoming Confederations Cup to watch Bernard with a view to a summer purchase for Spurs.

It is thought that it is a two-horse race for Bernard’s signature between Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund. Spurs are understood to have offered 16 million euros with the German giants willing to pay 12 million euros.

Atletico Mineiro are holding out for a fee of 18 million euros for a player that has come through the ranks at Ronaldinho’s current club.

Besides a financial advantage, Lancenet add that Bernard would prefer to join Spurs, where he would join up with fellow Brazilian Sandro and AVB, who of course, speaks Portuguese.

Spurs have also been linked with wingers such as Ibrahim Afellay and Alex Kacaniklic during the early stages of the transfer window.

Any transfer for Bernard may have to wait for a few weeks though. The young trickster has publicly declared he will not leave Mineiro until after their Copa Libertadores campaign. They face a two-legged tie against Newell’s Old Boys in July.

Hope this happens.

We've offered €16 million for him, but we still need to scout him? I can't believe for one second we'll send scouts out there purely for watching Bernard to decide if we should buy him now.

Seleção Brasileira ‏@BrazilStats
3m
BREAKING - Kalil: "We told everyone if you pay €25M Bernard is yours. Porto sold Moutinho and J.Rodriguez. I believe they have money" [ESPN]

5m
BREAKING - Kalil: "The offer was deemed too low, therefor refused. FC Porto have now entered negotiations. Their president a good friend."

8m
BREAKING - Kalil: "We have received an offer of €18M from an 'English club' who wants to sign Bernard who is now with Brazil."

(Alexandre)Kalil is Atletico Mineiro's president. Whether he's actually said these things isn't clear but all we have to go on is this twitter dude.

(Alexandre)Kalil is Atletico Mineiro's president. Whether he's actually said these things isn't clear but all we have to go on is this twitter dude.

Not sure why they are quoting in Euros. South American clubs usually deal in USD IIRC.

In USD its £11.5m we've offered and £16m they apparently want.

25m USB and 18m euro are about the same thing (c.£15-16m).

Last edited:
Why would they use US Dollars when he's the subject of bids from European clubs?

Let's not play currency bingo again. I had enough of that with Modric where £33m would become €33m which then became £28m and then €28m. We keep playing until he's being sold for 0.

I don't think this one will go through. Every similar deal in the past few seasons like this one for an unproven Brazilian has gone the way of us not wanting to pay what they want then getting blown out the water by a club with more money or more willingness to spend. Ever since 2009 when Bentley and dos santos came in and flopped levy appears to be very wary of going £15m+ for the "next big thing" think this deal is too expensive versus risk for us

How about Modric?
yeah but he was the exception during that period:

Bent, Bentley, Dos Santos, Boateng, Kaboul (first time round), Pavlychenko, all large outlays for largely raw talents that failed to live up to the price-tag.

Boateng & Kaboul obviously just needed more time and have proven to be very good players but it took them a year or two to start shining and that was at a stage when we were not as far down the road as a club in terms of development. Ideally we need players who can impact straight away

Why would they use US Dollars when he's the subject of bids from European clubs?

Let's not play currency bingo again. I had enough of that with Modric where £33m would become €33m which then became £28m and then €28m. We keep playing until he's being sold for 0.

It's just the currency they seem to deal in. South American fees are always overstated because journalists convert them wrongly.

At the time we were reportedly paying £16-18m for Sandro because it was converted wrong (and we really paid £8m).

Agree this is a knightmare area to go into (due to a lot of poor journalism), but I don't think they really want/we are considering paying £23m for Bernard.

It's just the currency they seem to deal in. South American fees are always overstated because journalists convert them wrongly.

At the time we were reportedly paying £16-18m for Sandro because it was converted wrong (and we really paid £8m).

Agree this is a knightmare area to go into (due to a lot of poor journalism), but I don't think they really want/we are considering paying £23m for Bernard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cifrão

Further problems with our prospective Brazilian targets. seems Bernard favours Porto. If the third party rumours surrounding Paulinho are true, not a good day.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=410077

Bernard is living a dream. In two years, went from hope at Atletico Mineiro sure and then one of the leading figures of the club's most applauded Brazil at the time. Fulfilled the desire to partner with Ronaldinho. And now feel - and know - that is the way to Europe. And then with the chance of the door "a wonderful club like FC Porto» who knows nearly everything in the mouth of Hulk.

"When I speak of FC Porto, the first name that comes to mind is the Hulk, who triumphed, and that way there. I tried it here in concentration for me he tell me all about the club. He told me to be quiet, which is a club very well structured and great wonders just said 'BALL said after the Brazil-Mexico Confederations Cup.

But then the deal is on the line? Bernard, an attacker slight but speedy and skilled, this time recedes. "For now I do not know more than what the press has written in Brazil and Portugal. I know it may appear a proposal from FC Porto but I also know that whatever happens will be completed after the Confederations Cup ... »

Borussia Dortmund, who lost Gotze is one of the supposed competitors dragons. And Tottenham André Villas Boas also. And some more. "It's hard to say I have a preference for FC Porto, because of the language, customs and history of the club, at a time when the European market is going. The other clubs who speaks clubs are good too, so I prefer to say that I have no preference. Now FC Porto is a very good club, very structured, is always in the Champions League, I am proud to see my name being linked to a club well. "

Turn off instant translationAbout Google TranslateMobilePrivacyHelpSend feedback

So we could potentially sign

Bernard
Damiao
Paulinho

But will end up with

Barry
Downing
Bent

thats why if their are any 3rd party issues, we need to start negotiations asap and not leave deals too late for them to be completed. Plus if the 3rd party aspect is too complicated, we can then simply move onto other targets and have enough time to bring in those players

Further problems with our prospective Brazilian targets. seems Bernard favours Porto. If the third party rumours surrounding Paulinho are true, not a good day.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=410077

Bernard is living a dream. In two years, went from hope at Atletico Mineiro sure and then one of the leading figures of the club's most applauded Brazil at the time. Fulfilled the desire to partner with Ronaldinho. And now feel - and know - that is the way to Europe. And then with the chance of the door "a wonderful club like FC Porto» who knows nearly everything in the mouth of Hulk.

"When I speak of FC Porto, the first name that comes to mind is the Hulk, who triumphed, and that way there. I tried it here in concentration for me he tell me all about the club. He told me to be quiet, which is a club very well structured and great wonders just said 'BALL said after the Brazil-Mexico Confederations Cup.

But then the deal is on the line? Bernard, an attacker slight but speedy and skilled, this time recedes. "For now I do not know more than what the press has written in Brazil and Portugal. I know it may appear a proposal from FC Porto but I also know that whatever happens will be completed after the Confederations Cup ... »

Borussia Dortmund, who lost Gotze is one of the supposed competitors dragons. And Tottenham André Villas Boas also. And some more. "It's hard to say I have a preference for FC Porto, because of the language, customs and history of the club, at a time when the European market is going. The other clubs who speaks clubs are good too, so I prefer to say that I have no preference. Now FC Porto is a very good club, very structured, is always in the Champions League, I am proud to see my name being linked to a club well. "

Doesn't read like that to me. Also this deal has only gone quiet because Bernard says he's staying with Atletico until the Copa Libertadores is over.

Doesn't read like that to me. Also this deal has only gone quiet because Bernard says he's staying with Atletico until the Copa Libertadores is over.

Agreed, just vacant press speculations based on some comment from the player that can be interpreted in various ways.

We'll just have to be patient I suppose.

Yes his actual quotes (as always with player/manager/agent quotes) were in response to questions from A Bola, a Portuguese newspaper that asked specifically about Porto. He was as usual with players diplomatic saying he'd be flattered by Porto's interest as they're a great club, Hulk has told him great things, they're always in the CL and obviously language wouldn't be a problem. However he then went on to state that he doesn't actually have a preference and those factors wouldn't mean he'd pick that club over any other.

His agent says be only concrete interest is from us and we're the only club to have made a bid.

Flashy wingers: Huckerby, Bentley, GDS etc.

This guy could be one of those. Is he at the Confederation?

Back