• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

He wont be IMO but thats also not a fair reflection on his performance today, he was targeted and stood up to the test. For the goal the untrained eye (not you BTW) would say he was to blame but he was massively let down in numbers, TBF Udogie would like not be in that position to engage him. For taking all that pressure and 2 goals being set plays he did well no?

Rewatched that goal and no wonder Postecoglou fuming, as Hojbjerg and Werner strolling back even though they could see Saka had acres of space to run into.

IMG_4189.jpeg

Davies spots the danger a second later but doesn’t have Udogie’s speed to catch Saka which gives the attacker time to get the ball under control and execute his signature finish; cannot fathom why VDV slows down almost to a halt when Havetz was about to pass the ball.

IMG_4191.jpeg

Decent but a big drop off in quality from udogie. With our poor injury/recovery rates we need to afford 20 outfield players who can compete for a starting position

Rewatched that goal and no wonder Postecoglou fuming, as Hojbjerg and Werner strolling back even though they could see Saka had acres of space to run into.

View attachment 17068

Davies spots the danger a second later but doesn’t have Udogie’s speed to catch Saka which gives the attacker time to get the ball under control and execute his signature finish; cannot fathom why VDV slows down almost to a halt when Havetz was about to pass the ball.

View attachment 17070
Laziness and lack of awareness from so many players. Poor, poor defending.

Decent but a big drop off in quality from udogie. With our poor injury/recovery rates we need to afford 20 outfield players who can compete for a starting position
100%
That’s why the next years windows are not the ones to go BIG on 2 players but ones to add depth and competition

View attachment 17068

View attachment 17070
The ref having more desire to get back

Would need to watch the goal back but I thought Davies did what I'd expect on it. He slowed Saka down. The fact he was left completely isolated against him and the fact we didn't get bodies there that would have stopped Saka getting the shot away isn't really Davies' fault.

Thought he did okay today and left a bit on Saka second half. Also knew when he went down that he was genuinely hurt coz he doesn't play act.

Good player and good pro.
The mistake was allowing Saka to come inside on his left foot, that is a big mistake when you consider that is the only thing that Saka can do.

View attachment 17068

View attachment 17070
Our midfielders job is really to pick up the opposition’s midfield. We have 4 defenders here to Arsenal’s two attackers. VDV has been sucked way too far across to the right here. Really poor defending that isn’t sending where the danger is.

Our midfielders job is really to pick up the opposition’s midfield. We have 4 defenders here to Arsenal’s two attackers. VDV has been sucked way too far across to the right here. Really poor defending that isn’t sending where the danger is.
That’s what I thought
The numbers are good
The action of dealing with him is poor

The mistake was allowing Saka to come inside on his left foot, that is a big mistake when you consider that is the only thing that Saka can do.
It was good play from saka to take a quick extra touch

What worries me…
This is going on a tangent…
We have a lot of players slipping…
Davies went the wrong way but earlier slipped over for the first corner that lead to their goal
Last week we had VDV
It’s regular and I do wonder what is going on with the boots that is making that happen to our players

I think that's very fair comment. Actually watched it back again and Davies makes the same mistake as VdV and gets focused on the ball to the extent that when he does get to Saka, he's had to travel so fast that he can't switch direction quickly and it makes it easier for Saka to come back inside. So Davies definitely does have some responsibility, VdV has some responsibility as so does PEH.

If you watch Saka's starting position, he's sprints past PEH and PEH watches him do it. I get your point on his job being to pick up their midfielders but I would expect more from him in that situation because he should see that danger early. You can also see that by the time Saka gets there, there's another Woolwich player arriving and PEH is strolling watching him too.

So an all round clusterfudge of defending really.

What worries me…
Davies went the wrong way but earlier slipped over for the first corner that lead to their goal
Last week we had VDV
It’s regular and I do wonder what is going on with the boots that is making that happen to our players
Been saying this for years.

That’s what I thought
The numbers are good
The action of dealing with him is poor

I thought vdV was worse, he had ample time to close that route off and no one else to mark.
This is classic example of recent times.

We have the numbers...but too many (or even all) doing the wrong thing.

With this counter Arsenal have given us the luxury of having no-one centrally to worry about.

From those freeze frames they are all ball watching.

VDV and Davies are both 5yds from each other centrally. The ball to Saka is an option because of this. It still requires to be a 50yd cross field ball. One, or even both players can originally track Saka if they wanted to because there is zero central danger. This is all easily containable before needing back up help from midfielders.

It's naive and lacking awareness. In addition the Saka cut in and curl it in the corner is literally his signature move ffs.

Similar to dealing with Neto for the Wolves goal.

Last edited:

What worries me…
Last week we had VDV
100% loads of them doing it of late

I don't think Davies did too much wrong, he kept Saka wide and stopped him getting a shot away with his right foot, which from that position is what most players would do.

If you make an opponent check back inside that should be job done, because there should be a teammate doubling up with you by then.

I don't think Davies did too much wrong, he kept Saka wide and stopped him getting a shot away with his right foot, which from that position is what most players would do.

If you make an opponent check back inside that should be job done, because there should be a teammate doubling up with you by then.

It was slightly passive. But sometimes your best bet as a defender is just to try and delay the attacker and hang on for reinforcements. I don't think it was too bad at all. As mentioned, maybe make him go on the outside was all he should have done differently.

Back