• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Be honest....

I was pretty tinkled off after Everton, although now I've calmed down I realise that Everton was by no means a three point banker, and that we deserved something from the game. I guess it's the culmination of three tough games and defeats that brought out the kneejerk in me.

But now back to reality, how many of you would've expected us to be in this position at this stage of the season? And if someone showed you this exact table in August (especially after those two horror shows against the Manchester clubs), how many of you wouldn't have been delighted?!

There are 10 games to go. We are 3rd, a point clear of Arsenal and 4 points clear of a Chelsea side who have City next. For the first time since the very early 90's we are the neutral's favourite team again. We are about to play in the QF of the FA Cup, at home.

When you take the season as a whole, and don't negatively focus on the last couple of weeks in isolation.....it's not too shabby is it? Especially when even taken the last two bad results in isolation we didn't deserve defeat in either game.

Nope, I spoke to my mate before the start of the season and said I'm not expecting anything this season 5th/6th at best. And up to probably the Wigan game I'd have taken 4th (I started to believe we would get third after that and Geordie games). 4th will still be a right result. Probably why I'm not losing my brick like others.

why are we the neutral's favourite team?

i certainly dont think we have overacheived by any stretch. or direct opponents midfields are Arteta, Song & Ramsay or a choice of Ramieres, Obi Mikel, Meireles, Lampard or Essien.

Both Chelsea and Arsenal have had brick seasons, the former with their manager already sacked under the temporary guidance of a manager sacked by West Brom.

With our side, games like Everton, while not a garunteed three points, should see us being well on top trying to force the issue, looking to claim three points.

English teams are getting dingdonged in Europe because the top of the prem is at it's weakest for a decade, our playing staff is coincidentally the strongest it has ever been.

Losing the three games wasn't what hurt, it was the manner. Throwing the points away through stupid dumbrick formations that every man and his dog could see were a pile of brick. We haven't heeded the warning of the past 2-2 and a half months.

No, i'm not delighted for the season. At this point it's about par. We have a slender, slender margin and there's a fudging long way to go.

5 minutes ago we were 10 points clear with 'only' 15 games left. We won no prises for that achievement and wont win anything for being 4 points clear of 5th with 10 games to go either.

Like I say, it's just par now and we'll see how things are come the end of the season, but at the moment i'm not very optimistic with regards our chances. I do hope i'm wrong though.

It will all change with a win or two in the league. If we can beat Stoke and home and get something from Chelsea then we will be in a great position.

However, a draw to Stoke and a loss to Chelsea could easily see us drop out of the Top 4.

Personally I look at this team and see a group who are buckling under the pressure and the wheels are falling off. I'm not looking forward to Stoke, a team who will come out and play hard against us, I'm honestly not going in to that game with any confidence. Its exactly the kind of game which the old Tottenham would drop points in, and we look as much like the old tottenham lately as we have all season

I look at this team and see a group who are buckling under the pressure and the wheels are falling off.

If we lose against Stoke, that will be a fair call. But it is premature. The manager messing up the formation is the reason we lost at Everton.
I think we will see a reaction both in the Bolton game, and the Stoke game. Win both and confidence will be high again, especially if City beat Chelsea, which they should.

All this stuff about Spurs falling apart is a very insulated view on things. Perhaps we should give credit to our opponents. The past three games we've lost have been against Everton (first in the form table over the past six games), United (third) and Arsenal (fourth). And in those games we were very unlucky not to draw two of them.

A bit of perspective people. We still have Modric, Bale, Adebayor, Parker, Friedel etc. They're still here, still better than most of the other players in the league, and certainly better than the majority of the players we are going to be coming up against in the remaining games.

The only thing we've lost is momentum. And that starts again at 17:30pm on Saturday. COYS.

looking at the season as a whole atm - you most definitely would be mad to be anything other than delighted. however i think that come the end of the season should we finish outside of the top 4 then it has to be seen as a failure. i don't think in this instance (finishing 5th) it would be the right thing to do, to look at the season as a whole - we would benifit more by asking why we failed than saying "well we done what we expected at the start, so nothing to worry about"

but im confident we will get ourselves back on track

Last edited:
I agree completely. Ive mentioned a number of times that we were everyones outside bet for a top 4 finish and have so far proved the vast majority wrong. We are still 3rd in the league and given our run in there is no reason why we cannot secure champions league qualification. This was the target at the start of the season and we should be happy with it should we get it.

I thought we would be floating around 5th/6th for most of the year and have a strong push for 4th at the end of the season with us, Arsenal and at a push Liverpool pushing for the final spot. As it happens Chelsea have been dragged into the mix and now its really us Arsenal and Chelsea for 2 spots.

Im disappointed with recent results BUT i expected us to be in a worse position than we are currently. Either way it feels great to be in the position where we have had 3 losses on the trot, deserved or not, and still to be 3rd in the league.

Keep the faith

Now if these results were spread out over the season rather than in a row would there be this much chaos?

All this stuff about Spurs falling apart is a very insulated view on things. Perhaps we should give credit to our opponents. The past three games we've lost have been against Everton (first in the form table over the past six games), United (third) and Arsenal (fourth). And in those games we were very unlucky not to draw two of them.

A bit of perspective people. We still have Modric, Bale, Adebayor, Parker, Friedel etc. They're still here, still better than most of the other players in the league, and certainly better than the majority of the players we are going to be coming up against in the remaining games.

The only thing we've lost is momentum. And that starts again at 17:30pm on Saturday. COYS.

yep what did anyone realistically expect from the past 3 games ? we'd beaten arsenal away from first time 17 years, united we've haven't beaten since 2001 and everton are in their best form of the season. 4 points would have been a right result. personally wasn't counting more than about 2. of course it's been compounded by arsenal nicking injury time winners in the 2 games since.

the gap was always likely to close but instead of still being 6 or 7 it's down to 1 but we're still in front, have better players than arsenal and easier fixtures.

The problem as I see it is not the results per se (disappointing as they are). It is the manner of the performance. To completely bottle a two goal lead at h-t against the gooners when harry said we looked a beaten team at half time when it was still 2-2. Against manure there was a respectability about the first half but as soon as Utd got a goal the whole of the second half was awful. At Everton, instead of starting quickly we could have been 3 down at half time so timid was our display. So in the last three games we have competed for 30 mins against Arse, 44mins against Man U and 45 mins against Evernot. Why cant we play for 90 mins? Are the players leggy or tired or what. In the 94th min against Saudi Sportswashing Machine 6 Arse players ran at full tilt the whole length of the pitch including their centre half who eventually scored. Arse have scored injury time winners in at least three games iirc, maybe more. When was the last time we scored in the last couple of minutes to win the points?

bolton february last season ? just after news came through the filth had surrended a 4 goal lead at sid james's

I'd rather be poor in the first half of the season and brilliant in the second half of the season than the other way round, even if both routes leads to the same outcome / final position. A bit like how a draw thanks to a last minute equaliser feels so much more rewarding than a draw having conceded in the last minute.

Ultimately, it's only fair that the team is judged according to the expectations that we had of them prior to the start of the season. I predicted that we would finish 5th, so by that standard we are still doing very well. But help it or not, the expectations have risen. We're so close to our best season in decades. We're so close to being the top team in London. I am just terrified about throwing this opportunity away, even if we do 'okay' in the end.

Also, the NLD is not just another game for me, and they team has a LOT to do to make up for that abomination of a performance IMO.

It’s nonsense, all this relativism about how we'd be 'happy with such and such at the start of the season'. The reality is we were ten points ahead of Arsenal with a two goal lead at the Emirates. We threw away the lead, totally humiliating ourselves in the process and now they're one point behind us.

If they end up finishing ahead of us and if we finish outside of the top from the position we've held then I’m afraid the old clich?® of Spurs as 'bottlers' or ‘southern softies' will endure for some time to come.

I feel silly for thinking we can go on and win the league this season. Should have known better about Spurs. You shouldn't put too much trust in Spurs, even if we are leading the league by 100 points ! Spurs are masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of success !

Now if these results were spread out over the season rather than in a row would there be this much chaos?

Of course not, but when you lose the same amount of games in three weeks, that you did in 7 months, then people start to get a little agitated.

No.

Neither did I expect a team talking about the title as a possibility and the CL as a certainty to surrender 90% of a 10 point gap in three rounds of football.

The initial post as a premise, that it's ok to lose difficult games. It also has as a premise, that we have been doing fine lately and the negativity being down to the last 3 results. Both premises are wrong.

Firstly - It's not ok to lose 3 on the trot if you lose them your direct competitors and especially not, if those games performance wise are complete collapses - not if you talk of titles and CL football.

Second - the performances have been poor and the defeats have been well deserved. However, the poor performances go beyond these 3 games and we have been stuttering for some time now.

I don't CARE, what people "expected" at the start of the season. I care about us being given a golden opportunity to do something and then the team and the manager perhaps tinkled it all away like right bottlejobs. It's gut-wrenching.

Back