• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Away from home we play with no fear"

That's why, despite being an old **** I do as many if the 1882 games as possible.
I swerved yest as I knew it would be beyond **** but I actually can't wait to be in Block J on Wed.

Sing for the shirt.

Ps. Don't really care what AVB thinks about our support (good or bad) I will still be there a long time after he has been replaced.

I've actually been banging on about this point for a while. The weird thing is it really has only gone like this in the last few seasons.

I think the 2nd half collapses in Harry's last two seasons began the trend and ironically I think the fact that Spurs have a competitive side now and are challengers with expectations has led to an increase in nervousness around the place, but the home atmostphere noticeably dissintegrated during Harry's last season and I think it does contribute to our poor home performances.

All away sides are told to try and keep it tight and get the home fans on the teams back. It gives you confidence as an away player to hear groans and moans from the home fans. We are getting on top of the team and getting knarky with the team from the first whistle and we are very quiet until we are comfortably 1 or 2 goals up.

I think our atmosphere is particularly toxic for a club that is actually performing (currently having our best start to a PL season), but i'd say the atmosphere at the ground and on forums, twitter and message boards is more akin to a club that might be rooted to the bottom and getting thumped every week.

I've said for ages that you can visibly see the opposition gain confidence from the atmosphere at WHL and you can also see Spurs players get nervous, like when wingers get the ball they're visibly worried about making a mistake and are more likely to pass to a team-mate or check back than go at the full back or risk putting a cross or shot in.

The performances have not been half as bad as being made out.

If there isn't a difference in the score-lines then there is a definate difference in the away performances. You say for example that the Cardiff result was lucky as it was last-minute, but the reality is we did play with a freedom in that game and created an absolute tonne of chances. We actually played very good football in that game from start to finish and the goal that eventually won it was a beauty.

This season I have been at the Swansea, Norwich and Chelsea games. I've felt the crowd has been fine without being fantastic. Certainly wasn't toxic. It's the West Ham game that re-introduced that feeling of failure into the crowd again.

I don't get the two-way street arguement, that the football has to lift the supporters. When we were **** in the nineties we had good support. If you go to a game and shout abuse or boo, you're not supporting anybody, you're making them feel worse. The time the players need our support the most is when things are not going well. It's about getting behind your team.

If it was just an absence of singing. I don't think we'd hear much about it. It's the moans every time someone has a bad touch and people constantly ****ing off their least favorite players.

Redknapp called the fans "Stupid" in his "as good as it gets" rant, yet he never got the same level of abuse I'm seeing here and on other forums. AVB is only asking us to get behind the team, he's not ****ging us off or calling us bad things.

What? He received a huge amount of abuse for it!

Both of them had a valid underlying point, even if AVB did say it in a slightly nicer way.

Two games especially have stuck in my head in the past few years. A home game against Blackburn where the whole stadium was genuinely like a library. You could barely even hear abuse from the stands, everyone was just sitting there, arms folded, quiet. Admittedly, it was ****ing freezing and an abysmal performance but we really needed something more.

Another was during a match of Pav/ Crouch time. Some **** a few rows behind me spent the whole match shouting profanities at the tall blonde striker upfront for us. Unfortunately for him, it wasn't even the player he thought it was. Shouting all kinds of profanities about Crouch when it was Pav upfront.

Our atmosphere, just like the atmosphere of every club in the league, has gone down and down over the past 20-30 years. There are many reasons for that, there's no point going through them all again. There is a lot to be said though about the level we're at now. It was a lot easier for the masses to sing and generally provide a good atmosphere when the only thing riding on the match was whether we'd eventually finish 12th or 14th. Now all our games are tight and have a lot of meaning. In the last 7 seasons, there have been 3? in which we've been 2 points or less from achieving CL football. That's effectively a goal or two swing in one or two matches. So the tension has ratcheted up. And the complete inability to get through teams that sit back at home against us is starting to grate after 3-4 seasons of Redknapp and AVB trying to get past it.

Not necessarily the right thing but the thing that I think explains a lot of it.

Last edited:
Actually a 3rd time was Bentley a couple of seasons ago, in the EL I think. Comes over to take a corner and some ****s start shouting abuse at him (wasn't even that small a number either). Tried to sing some encouragement even though I thought he was dog**** but couldn't really make myself heard over the others. Seriously, what was the point of that? There can have been no positive to doing that to Bentley.

I don't like the moans and groans but they can be a bit of a reflex. Active;y shouting abuse however is not.

Redknapp called the fans "Stupid" in his "as good as it gets" rant, yet he never got the same level of abuse I'm seeing here and on other forums. AVB is only asking us to get behind the team, he's not ****ging us off or calling us bad things.

You must be joking? I don't recall anyone calling AVB a saggy faced ginger ****. Some of the things said about him on here were appalling. Some fans views on him were myopic and blinkered it was as if Steve Kean or Ian Holloway could have got us to the Champions League. The abuse he got was 10 times worse than the "abuse" AVB is getting. I wouldn't even call it abuse. Even to this day it's pathetic that a small number who hated Redknapp so much are the same people that will never, ever criticise AVB for anything even when it's warranted.

And just to be clear, I didn't appreciate it when Redknapp had a pop at the fans either, even though most of what he said was true.

Very true. What we need is a clean slate, and a new stadium provides that opportunity. If this is not resolved then surely we'll just have an even bigger crowd tutting their way through games.

As for the existing ground, are season ticket holders spread out evenly around the ground, or are there any blocks that are relatively 'season ticket free'? And would season ticket holders be willing to move if it meant a better atmosphere?

We'd be bucking a trend if we could improve the atmosphere when we move grounds, so I definitely think that having a block or two for 1882 is worth considering.

I think that splitting up the season ticket holders in WHL would probably prove counter productive.

I've actually been banging on about this point for a while. The weird thing is it really has only gone like this in the last few seasons.

I think the 2nd half collapses in Harry's last two seasons began the trend and ironically I think the fact that Spurs have a competitive side now and are challengers with expectations has led to an increase in nervousness around the place, but the home atmostphere noticeably dissintegrated during Harry's last season and I think it does contribute to our poor home performances.

All away sides are told to try and keep it tight and get the home fans on the teams back. It gives you confidence as an away player to hear groans and moans from the home fans. We are getting on top of the team and getting knarky with the team from the first whistle and we are very quiet until we are comfortably 1 or 2 goals up.

I think our atmosphere is particularly toxic for a club that is actually performing (currently having our best start to a PL season), but i'd say the atmosphere at the ground and on forums, twitter and message boards is more akin to a club that might be rooted to the bottom and getting thumped every week.

I've said for ages that you can visibly see the opposition gain confidence from the atmosphere at WHL and you can also see Spurs players get nervous, like when wingers get the ball they're visibly worried about making a mistake and are more likely to pass to a team-mate or check back than go at the full back or risk putting a cross or shot in.

The performances have not been half as bad as being made out.

If there isn't a difference in the score-lines then there is a definate difference in the away performances. You say for example that the Cardiff result was lucky as it was last-minute, but the reality is we did play with a freedom in that game and created an absolute tonne of chances. We actually played very good football in that game from start to finish and the goal that eventually won it was a beauty.

Even though we've come a long way as a club in the last 10 years, we've still had some of the worse disappointments in the club's recent history, some even worse than the years 1992-2004 as a whole.

Losing out on the last day to Scum 3 times in 7 years, twice by just one point, the other time through sheer bad luck.
Finishing in the top 4 and but Chelsea win the CL.

We've had a couple of false dawns in recent years whilst as much as the team have improved and fans to go WHL expecting to win, when we don't score in the first half, fans get the sense of oh no Spurs are going to let us down again.

Last edited:
Actually a 3rd time was Bentley a couple of seasons ago, in the EL I think. Comes over to take a corner and some ****s start shouting abuse at him (wasn't even that small a number either). Tried to sing some encouragement even though I thought he was dog**** but couldn't really make myself heard over the others. Seriously, what was the point of that? There can have been no positive to doing that to Bentley.

I don't like the moans and groans but they can be a bit of a reflex. Active;y shouting abuse however is not.

I see people talk about getting value for their money, but why pay it if all you're gonna do is act like a ****? That's right up there with those that leave 10 minutes before the end.

I see people talk about getting value for their money, but why pay it if all you're gonna do is act like a ****? That's right up there with those that leave 10 minutes before the end.

Just so they can make it home in time for the highlights :lol:

I'll be honest, I've always loved WHL and watching Spurs but those 3 instances especially have put me off going a bit. I go less often these days (I have other commitments as well but still go less than I can). These aren't completely isolated incidents but they are the 3 that stick most in my head from the past few years. I don't want to spend £60 for a ticket where I'm surrounded by dingdongheads that are going to abuse the players, especially if what is also served up on the pitch isn't always that exciting either.

I'll be honest, I've always loved WHL and watching Spurs but those 3 instances especially have put me off going a bit. I go less often these days (I have other commitments as well but still go less than I can). These aren't completely isolated incidents but they are the 3 that stick most in my head from the past few years. I don't want to spend £60 for a ticket where I'm surrounded by dingdongheads that are going to abuse the players, especially if what is also served up on the pitch isn't always that exciting either.

You get all kinds in the stands. Some will spend the whole game shouting at our players to get the ball up the pitch. Afterwards they probably come on here complaining about us hoofing it.

From the Hull OMT!

How much do Spurs really mean to the fans..I get the feeling some fans dont get what it takes for their Team to win!

the fans are important and they should get behind the team more often.

I know we have been expecting more this season and its frustrating they are not playing in a more threatening manner considering the ammount of dosh
that has gone into the squad this season. It does make you wonder if the players bought are ever going to make it in the Prem when some really expensive
players are sitting out games!

I hardly go to games now owing to circumstances and sometimes I follow the OMC thread to try and get an idea whos playing well.

Yesterdays game was coming over pretty pathetic and I might have well been one of the fans having a moan if I had been there..

I have allways given good vocal support to the Team though.

Anyway ...lets hope this squad will gell. They should have done that by now anyway..... if the're any good at football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Local support is non existent in Tottenham itself. That is worrying for the club IMO. It does not give the club any Local importance or meaning!
now thats sad.
Years ago the crowd around Tottenham could just bowl in off the streets and see the game. These days even if they could they would'nt..as there probably
all in the Mosque!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most clubs have still got there communities in tact..and that gives a good feel factor that would feed in locally to the people who work at the club

and the players.

**** still has a good local support in Islington..Chelsea do in their part of London and allthough West Ham has a large ethnic community there are still parts
of that locality that still has ..dare I say it English ethnic support.

anyway...

getting a bit complex now...LOL...CoySpurs..............................

One of the disadvantages of playing Sundays is the fact that the other teams have played already, more often than not, the top teams win which adds to the anxiety if 40-60 minutes goes by and we aren't winning. Puts even more pressure on the team.

One of the disadvantages of playing Sundays is the fact that the other teams have played already, more often than not, the top teams win which adds to the anxiety if 40-60 minutes goes by and we aren't winning. Puts even more pressure on the team.

I think that less people having a skinful and therefore being less likely to sing is a really big factor.

I think that you get more tourists in for a Sunday game too, particularly against the smaller teams. Stubhub will have only accentuated this.

Super spurs, not sure what religion or ethnicity really have to do with the support of the club?

I'm not sure I'd say the kind of people who live in Chelsea are the kind of people who would be at Stamford Bridge on a regular basis chanting. London is over 50% non white British. Contrary to all the hysteria about immigration, this is a huge part of the reason this city is one of the most interesting places in the world, as well as keeping this country relevant and with a half decent economy. Unsurprisingly, not all of those 55% or so non White British have come to live in Tottenham.

Holloway and West Ham (as you admitted) are both incredibly multi-ethnic areas (the former also has a large student population who don't give a **** about Arsenal) and this hasn't stopped Blacks, Jews, Asians, Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims etc etc from also following those clubs.

As an aside, the **** shouting abuse at the wrong striker and the majority of the idiots abusing Bentley were white. Not really sure what relevance colour or religion has to the debate about our atmosphere though so didn't mention it.

Super spurs, not sure what religion or ethnicity really have to do with the support of the club?

I'm not sure I'd say the kind of people who live in Chelsea are the kind of people who would be at Stamford Bridge on a regular basis chanting. London is over 50% non white British. Contrary to all the hysteria about immigration, this is a huge part of the reason this city is one of the most interesting places in the world, as well as keeping this country relevant and with a half decent economy. Unsurprisingly, not all of those 55% or so non White British have come to live in Tottenham.

Holloway and West Ham (as you admitted) are both incredibly multi-ethnic areas (the former also has a large student population who don't give a **** about Arsenal) and this hasn't stopped Blacks, Jews, Asians, Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims etc etc from also following those clubs.

As an aside, the **** shouting abuse at the wrong striker and the majority of the idiots abusing Bentley were white. Not really sure what relevance colour or religion has to the debate about our atmosphere though so didn't mention it.

Spot on

From the Hull OMT!

How much do Spurs really mean to the fans..I get the feeling some fans dont get what it takes for their Team to win!

the fans are important and they should get behind the team more often.

I know we have been expecting more this season and its frustrating they are not playing in a more threatening manner considering the ammount of dosh
that has gone into the squad this season. It does make you wonder if the players bought are ever going to make it in the Prem when some really expensive
players are sitting out games!

I hardly go to games now owing to circumstances and sometimes I follow the OMC thread to try and get an idea whos playing well.

Yesterdays game was coming over pretty pathetic and I might have well been one of the fans having a moan if I had been there..

I have allways given good vocal support to the Team though.

Anyway ...lets hope this squad will gell. They should have done that by now anyway..... if the're any good at football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Local support is non existent in Tottenham itself. That is worrying for the club IMO. It does not give the club any Local importance or meaning!
now thats sad.
Years ago the crowd around Tottenham could just bowl in off the streets and see the game. These days even if they could they would'nt..as there probably
all in the Mosque!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most clubs have still got there communities in tact..and that gives a good feel factor that would feed in locally to the people who work at the club

and the players.

**** still has a good local support in Islington..Chelsea do in their part of London and allthough West Ham has a large ethnic community there are still parts
of that locality that still has ..dare I say it English ethnic support.

anyway...

getting a bit complex now...LOL...CoySpurs..............................

This isn't funny.....:-k

Back