• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

Isn't Gareth Bale the explanation for that? The idea that last season was otherwise so exceptional that it's the best we've ever done points-wise doesn't add up at all.

By all means say we were "good" or "solid" or whatever, but if you're looking for an explanation why we got record points, there's only one possible explanation for that which is the presence of a single truly world class player.

Ed: Indeed, this season under AVB was pretty much the exact same as last season only with Bale removed.

Can't remember the stats exactly, but I seem to remember that when AVB was sacked, we had about the same number of points this season as we had from the corresponding fixtures last season. Which must mean it wasn't all Bale?

The football was pretty dire under AVB, but you can't deny his results: 44 wins from 80 games in charge puts him third on our managers win percentage list. Result wise, AVB was a success, IMO. Even without Bale. Noone likes losing 0-5 or 0-6, but I'd take two wins and a heavy loss over three one goal losses at any time.

Can't remember the stats exactly, but I seem to remember that when AVB was sacked, we had about the same number of points this season as we had from the corresponding fixtures last season. Which must mean it wasn't all Bale?

The football was pretty dire under AVB, but you can't deny his results: 44 wins from 80 games in charge puts him third on our managers win percentage list. Result wise, AVB was a success, IMO. Even without Bale. Noone likes losing 0-5 or 0-6, but I'd take two wins and a heavy loss over three one goal losses at any time.

Three short I believe - although one of those sets of 3 dropped points was a vastly improved Liverpool who we recently would expect to take 3-4 points from in a season.

That was the first thing that came to my head when I read that they had a phone call between them discussing AVB taking the Zenit job. Indeed it would explain a lot as Benfica's manager whilst very passionate at the sidelines does not have a history of directly riling coaches and getting into the type of mind-games that people like Mourinho or even Pardew....

Feelings of injustice can be very VERY big motivations in football...I guess this means we are going to get ROYALLY dingdonged on Thursday...:(

But he does have a history of overstepping the mark

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-benfica-news/20261-jorge-jesus-at-risk-of-nine-month-ban

Whatever anyones feelings about AVB, surely everyone can see that we are worse off now!

I wish him well in Russia.

It's a choice of job that suggests he has decided to chase the cash rather than compete for major honours.

I still think getting rid of AVB was a huge mistake, so I wish him every success with his new appointment with Zenit.

I really did like him as a bloke, some times did show flashes of immaturity of being a bit fragile may be a better choice of words, but I still feel getting rid of him was the right call.

Still though, I wish him luck and I don't think it shows he's settling for the money, it's a team compeiting for the Russian title right now who can afford a few decent players every now and then and could well get to the quater final stage or so of the Champions League.

A stable steady job for him to grow as a manger is in my opinion exactly what he needs before he has another crack at managing one of the top 3/4 leagues.

I really did like him as a bloke, some times did show flashes of immaturity of being a bit fragile may be a better choice of words, but I still feel getting rid of him was the right call.

Still though, I wish him luck and I don't think it shows he's settling for the money, it's a team compeiting for the Russian title right now who can afford a few decent players every now and then and could well get to the quater final stage or so of the Champions League.

A stable steady job for him to grow as a manger is in my opinion exactly what he needs before he has another crack at managing one of the top 3/4 leagues.

I couldn't give a toss what happens to AVB in a professional sense. He was here so briefly and failed for the second time in the PL and his failure (whether his fault or Levy's) has lead to our beloved Tottenham Hotspur FC being in the shambles we are in today.

I couldn't give a toss what happens to AVB in a professional sense. He was here so briefly and failed for the second time in the PL and his failure (whether his fault or Levy's) has lead to our beloved Tottenham Hotspur FC being in the shambles we are in today.

I'm afraid I couldn't agree more. I'm sure the feeling is mutual too. I certainly don't get all this "good bloke" stuff , if the reports about his tantrums are even half true he sounded like a **** tbh. I find it funny such is the dislike for Tim a lot of fans are more annoyed about his reaction to Jorge Jesus' provocation than the ****ish and childish behaviour of AVB's mate.

2 year contract it seems......so he has gone from a 4 year deal at chels, to a 3 year deal at Spurs, and now a 2 year deal a Zenit

His success with Porto will always be a plus point for him. And the fact he brought the best out of Bale will be another plus point. Add to that, he is still very young at 37. I am convinced he will become a successful coach at a big club in the future.

Im sure he will come in with a bid for Paulinho in the summer :)

I don't think he had much involvement tonight, more of a watching brief I expect.

But yes, a moral victory and he can concentrate on getting the squad in his image before things kick off domestically again.

Back