• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB versus Martinez

KD and Affy, I suggest that you PM one of the admins with your complaints. I'm not prepared to put up with these inferred attacks on our integrity anymore.

KD and Affy, I suggest that you PM one of the admins with your complaints. I'm not prepared to put up with these inferred attacks on our integrity anymore.

Am not complaining though, I'm perfectly fine

really dont know what you mean by 'inferred attacks' either. i just advised against naming names cause that way could go to squabbling and he could be wrongly construed as being divisive and/ or disruptive...especially if its going over old ground again and again

best to not name names surely, just duck the situation

Am not complaining though, I'm perfectly fine

really dont know what you mean by 'inferred attacks' either. i just advised against naming names cause that way could go to squabbling and he could be wrongly construed as being divisive and/ or disruptive...especially if its going over old ground again and again

best to not name names surely, just duck the situation

If you've got something to say, you can back it up and you are not breaking the rules, say it. It makes for good conversation and a better board.

Not naming names is cowardly and suggests that you cannot back up your arguments or don't have the courage of your convictions.

If you've got something to say, you can back it up and you are not breaking the rules, say it. It makes for good conversation and a better board.

Not naming names is cowardly and suggests that you cannot back up your arguments or don't have the courage of your convictions.

Do you really expect people to trawl through 20 pages or even more sometimes to find names of posters who they disagree with?

Whilst we are on the subject of being cowardly, I for one find it a bit gutless if a poster refuses to say what they find to be an acceptable or unnacceptable season i.e. by league position, it strikes me as wanting to give the manager a bit more wiggle room if he doesn't achieve those targets.

EDIT: Also, what if you name a poster but make a mistake i.e. name the wrong poster? Ok you can always apologise but the damage has already been done at that point. I always try to respond directly by quoting posts, that way there can be no doubt as to who you are responding to.

Last edited:

cowardly??!! are you serious? LOL

you might not have realised and i know you probably didnt really mean it directed at him but in a round about way you probably offended jurgen

Okay okay, so if i name names as to what someone actually said i can pretty much talk about anything i want if i dont abuse anyone. did you know I've never actually done that to anyone aside from camden spur. i cant remember once insulting anyone on here

but anyway , this is good thanks

i'll be sure to do that. i wont interupt this thread anymore with this line of communication

please excuse the interruption

Last edited:
Sorry to take the thread off topic and I realise I am not a Mod so I don't have the priviliges to do this kind of thing, but can we please dial down the hostility? Because that is what it feels like to me and I'm sure it does to others.

I understand they are many posters who feel the manager deserves time, and by time I mean a minimum of 2-3 years before we can start to judge the manager. I don't agree but I accept the viewpoint. BUT there are some other posters who are at this point unconvinced about AVB and remain skeptical despite last season's points total/league position. Stop taking criticism towards the manager so personally as if we are personally attacking him. Of course there will be posts in match threads or other threads where people go too far, but for the most part I think it's no worse than you would find on 99% of the rest of football forums.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

Do you really expect people to trawl through 20 pages or even more sometimes to find names of posters who they disagree with?

Yes. If you're addressing someone's point or opinion, at least have the common courtesy to read their post and address it directly. There are no two posters with exactly the same opinions on this board (except TMK's schizophrenic ramblings, and even they vary from time to time) so it's both inaccurate and inconsiderate to respond as if that's the case.

If you're not replying to someone's post and you're not starting a topic then you're just saying stuff and not participating in a discussion. In which case, one has to question the validity of choosing a discussion forum as your medium of choice for just throwing words out in a one-way debate. You may as well grab a bottle of cider and bark those same words at the moon.

Edit:

Good post that got in before mine - that's far more like it.

Sorry to take the thread off topic and I realise I am not a Mod so I don't have the priviliges to do this kind of thing, but can we please dial down the hostility? Because that is what it feels like to me and I'm sure it does to others.

I understand they are many posters who feel the manager deserves time, and by time I mean a minimum of 2-3 years before we can start to judge the manager. I don't agree but I accept the viewpoint. BUT there are some other posters who are at this point unconvinced about AVB and remain skeptical despite last season's points total/league position. Stop taking criticism towards the manager so personally as if we are personally attacking him. Of course there will be posts in match threads or other threads where people go too far, but for the most part I think it's no worse than you would find on 99% of the rest of football forums.

good post Jurgen and just to add i think there are many of us that need to accept opinions at face value rather than go looking for angles and ulterior motives that most likely are not there. we had enough of that a couple of seasons a go.

we don't want to see a return of those days, im sure we're all in agreement on that.

good post Jurgen and just to add i think there are many of us that need to accept opinions at face value rather than go looking for angles and ulterior motives that most likely are not there. we had enough of that a couple of seasons a go.

we don't want to see a return of those days, im sure we're all in agreement on that.

None of this would be going on if we did what I decided months and months (perhaps years ago)... Royal Rumble - GG Edition. Trafalgar Square, Saturday, 8pm - we all get together and last survivor ****in wins.

well, in that case ....

a3bZx.gif

Good post. No arguments from me

He time and time again showed the ability of coming out of an impossible situation , bringing entertaining football along with him.

have you realised that you are talking about inconsistency with WIGAN? Did you expect that level of miracle? Cause if wigan were consistent then they would be top 6 team year in year out

its almost like saying that irrespective of how good you are...you are only as good as your teams results IRRESPECTIVE of the quality, depth and resources you have at your disposal

essentially if you have the fortune of managing a club with like 5 or 6 top class players and about 2 or 3 world class ones in a league that is bottom feeder **** then you could promote yourself as amazing with the great things you did

yeah i dont know, i kind of prefer looking beyond that

it does happen though in sport............ in boxing.

dont get me wrong though, you are right...he is unproven. but then i dont think AVB is proven either against REAL hardship

The impossible situations he found himself in, were his creation (as much as it's possible). When I mean inconsistent, I mean there were games (repeatedly) where Wigan simply looked dire (massively out of depth), where they would lose badly to equivalent opposition, then 2 months later beat United/Scum/someone at that level. What was the real level of the squad, don't know, just seemed very Jekyll and Hyde type performances which to me is never a good thing. A few more average performances against lower half teams would have meant they didn't need the impossible against big teams.

Again, I'm not anti Martinez, I like young managers who try to play entertaining football and generally carry themselves in a professional manner. However seems he is flavor of the month again with Spurs fans and I really don't think he has achieved enough to put him ahead of AVB (and yes, AVB himself has much to prove and has had better squads at his disposal)

The impossible situations he found himself in, were his creation (as much as it's possible). When I mean inconsistent, I mean there were games (repeatedly) where Wigan simply looked dire (massively out of depth), where they would lose badly to equivalent opposition, then 2 months later beat United/Scum/someone at that level. What was the real level of the squad, don't know, just seemed very Jekyll and Hyde type performances which to me is never a good thing. A few more average performances against lower half teams would have meant they didn't need the impossible against big teams.

Again, I'm not anti Martinez, I like young managers who try to play entertaining football and generally carry themselves in a professional manner. However seems he is flavor of the month again with Spurs fans and I really don't think he has achieved enough to put him ahead of AVB (and yes, AVB himself has much to prove and has had better squads at his disposal)

Not sure how you can be flavour of the month every year...the opinion of martinez has been high for about 2 or 3 years now straight if not more

once again , you are asking for consistency in the premiership from a bottom team. That is just too much to ask someone to do....wigan will get tonked and they will get battered yb anyone , its how you get your players to react to that that makes you what you are

I'm glad you put that tonking down to something that defines a manager, its clearer now how you see results...you see for me i see it differently...if you get battered but have shown a level of consistency and results at some point to do much better...then i am more likely to view that you have that ability in you than you dont....(not just talking about martinez here bro, but the players as well).

if you are not that good and you play in a small market club totally saturated in the feeling of inevitable doom and gloom without a culture of winning then the chance are that when you hit a slump your confidence and level of performance will drop considerably ...your form will suffer and then results will mimic this

how you get up after all that given that most factors contributing to your down fall are the same (and getting worse) is the measure of your mindset and what you are truly capable of

To do all this while dedicating yourself to a philosophy of football, unwavering, that has a high potential for disaster given all things considered........awesome. Having said that last bit it would be stupid to persist with that route of football at the complete demise of your club

by the end of every single year martinez has to take those group of players through some absolutely wood chipper like conditions and come out the other end

thats my level of consistency from a manager with a team that should have been relegated every year.

if you are a bottom team the only consistency i am looking for or expecting is for you to get beaten regularly and very often convincingly

i dont think AVB has shown he can do anything like that yet, and take away portugal, i dont know how people can be sure that AVB is ahead of martinez anyway

i cant remember martinez singling out and blaming his team, his players or the fans for results either...there always seems to be a "we" in there somewhere. he definitely takes responsibility for what goes on out there whe things go wrong and when they go right its "the players" ...as you said he is a very likeable guy and i would assume a good man manager

have to say that i am extremely impressed with how his team performed at arsenal. they deserved a point at least and they did it with real attacking intent

Back