• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ashley Phillips

Often it depends who the coach is and their approach to the game. Over the years there have been those like Kenny Jackett who we've particularly trusted to do well for our players. So maybe Plymouth just have a more progressive manager than Blackburn at this point in time?
Foster has only just been appointed, plus Plymouth have had some January loan recalls....so have a new boss and require new faces, both positives for a new player arriving. Opportunity and a clean slate for all the squad, old and new.

If you are good enough you are old enough. You dont get better or in a team if you dont get a chance. Davies is a mid level reliable player, Royal the same. International does not mean what it used to mean. In my mind if you have a young promising Centre back ( dorrington or Phillips ) they would have got a chance. IMO anyway. Its worked out ok. But its what reserve and youth are there for in emergencies.
May misunderstand you, but just to point out what you may very well agree with... Them not being seen as ready, or as good as Davies and Royal now doesn't mean that they're not promising. Just that they're not yet ready.

Centreback is the foundation of your defence, you can't afford to gamble with an inexperienced youngster unless you have the right partner for him. King and Campbell both got their debuts playing in midfield and fullback. The age level football young players are playing in rarely tests them physically and their opponents are as inexperienced as them. Loans are the only way to toughen them up and there aren't many managers about to gamble their jobs on a kid from an other club.

Centreback is the foundation of your defence, you can't afford to gamble with an inexperienced youngster unless you have the right partner for him. King and Campbell both got their debuts playing in midfield and fullback. The age level football young players are playing in rarely tests them physically and their opponents are as inexperienced as them. Loans are the only way to toughen them up and there aren't many managers about to gamble their jobs on a kid from an other club.
Someone on twitter (I think) made the point that almost no centre backs at top clubs break through without first being on loan, and most of them are signed well after being teenagers of course. There are exceptions, but they're really rare.

VdV is still a rather young CB at 22 with potential to develop further. He's also very good already of course.

Would he have gotten games ahead of Royal and Davies in this system at 18 if he was 18 and here during the last couple of months. I don't know, but I'm definitely not certain he would have.

Someone on twitter (I think) made the point that almost no centre backs at top clubs break through without first being on loan, and most of them are signed well after being teenagers of course. There are exceptions, but they're really rare.

VdV is still a rather young CB at 22 with potential to develop further. He's also very good already of course.

Would he have gotten games ahead of Royal and Davies in this system at 18 if he was 18 and here during the last couple of months. I don't know, but I'm definitely not certain he would have.

I made the point only 1 defender in the prem has got minutes this season at 18. Rico williams at city.

Usually as an inverted fullback or midfield and in a team where few if any opponents attack them.

Yep. In our high risk defence it would be irresponsible to put an inexperienced cb in. They'd make mistakes, which would be natural at that age. Which would cost us goals and points. Then a certain section of fans will be slaughtering them.

Give them time to develop. Gain experience.

Alan McInally on Sky is reporting from the Plymouth game today. Has just made a point of mentioning Phillips at the end of his report: “This boy’s going to be a superstar. Remember the name.”

It was great to hear. Lets hope we have a gem on our hands

Ashley Phillips vs Huddersfield:

-90 minutes played
-6 clearances
-1 blocked shot
-2 interceptions
-0 times dribbled past
-24/30 accurate passes
-4/6 accurate long balls
-2/4 ground duels won
-1/1 aerial duels won
-1 foul won

If you are good enough you are old enough. You dont get better or in a team if you dont get a chance. Davies is a mid level reliable player, Royal the same. International does not mean what it used to mean. In my mind if you have a young promising Centre back ( dorrington or Phillips ) they would have got a chance. IMO anyway. Its worked out ok. But its what reserve and youth are there for in emergencies.
My guess is that Ange has seen more of him than you, so I figure he is being sent out on loan because Ange does not feel that the 18 year old is not ready to start for us. Based on Ange's track record I am going to roll with that.

Looks lovely but green must make it more difficult to pick out a pass.

I know green 2nd and 3rd kits are now banned in Italy due to clashing with the grass. Was for TV viewers rather than players, but I would guess it would be the same for players

I know green 2nd and 3rd kits are now banned in Italy due to clashing with the grass. Was for TV viewers rather than players, but I would guess it would be the same for players

Was watching espn. Steve nicol was saying how an ex manager of his banned the gks from wearing bright coloured tops. The reason wss that he'd played in a game where it was misty and the only way he knew where the opposition goal was because of the keepers bright jumper.

Looks lovely but green must make it more difficult to pick out a pass.

Maybe its been Plymouth's issue since they started wearing that colour in 1897?

It did us ok in the CL though. I still think we'd've won it if we'd kept it for the final

It's always been grey that have been the controversial ones - Man U and England players all hated theirs in the 90s for blending against the crowd.

Back