• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ashley Phillips

Gone on loan to Plymouth.
Shows how little we all know about whether someone is ready or not.
Seems we have really planned for this window well.
I do wonder why he didn't just stay at Blackburn for a season. But maybe it wasn't a option. Or maybe we thought he'd be where Dorrington is, but then the injury happened

I do wonder why he didn't just stay at Blackburn for a season. But maybe it wasn't a option. Or maybe we thought he'd be where Dorrington is, but then the injury happened
My thoughts exactly. I guess there's quite a bit of egg-on-face-wiping going on right now? ;)

Wishful thinking does not equal inside knowlegde above and beyond the knowledge of the staff.

I hope this loan spell really comes off well for him, and that he comes back stronger and in a better position to continue development.

Where was Romano / the ITK on this outgoing? Seems a fairly important detail to miss in the context of a new CB incoming....
'What Lies Beneath' usually gets briefed on absolutely everything, but I'm guessing he didn't want to put this loan in jeopardy.

Often it depends who the coach is and their approach to the game. Over the years there have been those like Kenny Jackett who we've particularly trusted to do well for our players. So maybe Plymouth just have a more progressive manager than Blackburn at this point in time?

He must not have been playing well in training. He never even got a sniff of coming on.

I think Ange is ruthless, he knows what he wants and expects. If you aren't there ... you won't get a chance

I saw him play for the under 21's (I think), his ability to carry the ball out was terrible in that game, he also didn't impose himself on the game or look above the group (Veliz does when he plays)

The kid literally has had 10 senior games at Blackburn before coming here. He'd have to be some talent to get picked with that level of experience.
We currently have no fit centre backs ( Dier not included) but he didn't start a game.. It's just odd. Royal and Davies have done well. But it's still very odd to me.

If you are good enough you are old enough. You dont get better or in a team if you dont get a chance. Davies is a mid level reliable player, Royal the same. International does not mean what it used to mean. In my mind if you have a young promising Centre back ( dorrington or Phillips ) they would have got a chance. IMO anyway. Its worked out ok. But its what reserve and youth are there for in emergencies.
He's 18 years old. As is dorrington. They are still learning their trade. Having full internationals picked in front of yo is not odd.

If you are good enough you are old enough. You dont get better or in a team if you dont get a chance. Davies is a mid level reliable player, Royal the same. International does not mean what it used to mean. In my mind if you have a young promising Centre back ( dorrington or Phillips ) they would have got a chance. IMO anyway. Its worked out ok. But its what reserve and youth are there for in emergencies.

That is why we loan players out. So they get experience. They are not ready yet. Probably won't be for another couple of years.

Only 1 18 year old defender has got minutes in the prem this season. Rico Lewis at city.

Often it depends who the coach is and their approach to the game. Over the years there have been those like Kenny Jackett who we've particularly trusted to do well for our players. So maybe Plymouth just have a more progressive manager than Blackburn at this point in time?
Ian Foster - spend the last 4 years managing England, u18, u19, U20.
So I think he probably knows Philips 😁

Back