• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Arsenal - match ratings

Lloris 8 - Not a greats deal to do but professional and solid.

Walker 7 - Poor for the goal.
Dier 8 - Very good.
Vertonghen 8 - Solid.
Rose 8 - Got away with a nasty one on Giroud but excellent going forward.

Mason 7 - Won the midfield battle.
Bentaleb 8 - See above.
Dembele 7 - Much improved.
Lamela 6 - Worked hard but still see a lack of end product. I'm willing to be patient but needs to do more to justify place in the side besides working hard.
Eriksen 6 - Quiet by his standards. Just Ok despite hard work as above for Lamela.

Kane 9 - What else is there to say?! Superb header and never stopped running.

What did Walker do wrong for the goal?

I would place most of the blame for the goal on Rose for losing his man and Vertonghen (maybe a little harshly) for getting dragged across. We were always going to be a man short after that.

I would place most of the blame for the goal on Rose for losing his man and Vertonghen (maybe a little harshly) for getting dragged across. We were always going to be a man short after that.

You mean for pushing up? IIRC Vertonghen pushes high up to try to win the ball, fails and then we're scrambling a bit.

Rose fails to anticipate the dink and run and gets done a bit too easy.

Dier comes across and out of his zone without actually getting close enough to stop the cross.

Meanwhile Mason (I think) doesn't manage to track Giroud through the middle.

That leaves Walker with two players in the box and a cross coming in. I can see spreading some blame across all of Verts, Rose, Dier and Mason. But I really struggle to see how Walker was to blame.

You mean for pushing up? IIRC Vertonghen pushes high up to try to win the ball, fails and then we're scrambling a bit.

Rose fails to anticipate the dink and run and gets done a bit too easy.

Dier comes across and out of his zone without actually getting close enough to stop the cross.

Meanwhile Mason (I think) doesn't manage to track Giroud through the middle.

That leaves Walker with two players in the box and a cross coming in. I can see spreading some blame across all of Verts, Rose, Dier and Mason. But I really struggle to see how Walker was to blame.

You are right and I agree.

The pressing game that we are playing is a high risk strategy. If we push players forward we will get caught on the break occasionally and it was Arsenal's game plan to do this.

Exactly this...

Mason was goalside of Giroud but didnt react as quickly as him. When he (Grioud) was a couple of foot in front, Mason started sprinting but it was too late. Walker notices Mason is not getting back, you can see him turn his head twice as Welbeck is going down the wing, Walker moves across to help with the immedaite danger (Giroud) leaving Ozil.

I was one of those who gave him a 6 on the Google forms thing. Watching it live (on BT), I thought his main contribution was as an annoyance to Arsenal when they had possession. I watched it again and noticed some positive contributions, like the corner (d'oh!), plus some lung busting runs to get back in defence when Arsenal were countering.

I think when evaluating Lamela we have to compare him, as you suggest, more to Willian than Hazard. Paying £25mln for a Trevor Hockey-type player (ask your grandfather) is a bit steep, and he obviously has the potential to be a lot better than just a hard-pressing midfielder; a few goals would certainly go a long way to override the biased opinion of him I seem to have developed.

So, definitely worth a 7 in my book (though the tempation was to give them all 11, in true Nigel Tufnell style)

I've re-watched the game now - I was at the match so always good to see it again from the TV perspective.

First not entirely related comment - HOW F***ING GOOD WERE WE??? Oh wow. I thought this obviously at the time but even more now I've seen it again. We absolutely dominated from start to finish, every aspect of our game was top drawer. And the noise from us Yids was incredible - a WALL OF SOUND. The Scum just melted away in the face of Poch's THFC and our support.

Back to Lamela. I think my 8.5/score for his 'on the ball' contributions, was maybe a bit high. He did get caught on it a few times too. Occasionally this was due to not seeing an option and Scum recovering to get him, occasionally it was due to Lamela's dawdling on it.

I think that, overall, his on the ball contribution was more of a 50-50 good/bad split than I thought while watching the game. But I was swayed towards a higher rating by the rest of what I saw: prodigious work rate and 3/4 excellent challenges/interceptions followed by good runs and one-two exchanges. He looked to me like a player utterly possessed in terms of his dedication. And as I say his fight on more than one occasion 'lifted' the crowd.

I understand what you're saying about the fee - but I'm just IGNORING his fee when I am assessing Erik Lamela. Again as you fairly say, if (and I believe it is 'when') he adds the goals to his game he will really take off. He is a dangerous player already - gets into good positions, just like he did on Sat - and he just has 'something' about him for me.

If I was rerating this match, I'd give Lamela an 8. I'd also give Mason a 9. (I gave him 8.5). Mason was all over the pitch. Covered every blade of grass and a complete, intelligent, committed CM performance. Loved Whinger's moaning about 'what he got away with' apparently. Shut up Whinger - you're just upset as Mason (& Bentaleb) bent your CMs over and gave them a good rogering.

COYS

How was he bad in the first half?
I thought Mason had a poor first 20/25 minutes too. his passing was off and his tackling was reckless. I commented in the OMT that maybe the occasion of the NLD seemed to be overwhelming him. He was also slow to react to cover Giroud when Arsnl broke away for their goal. Nothing wrong with his energy though and I am glad he settled down and performed much better thereafter to become one of our heroes.

Back