• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I'm not going to brick on the bloke but yo your point about players attitude let's be honest here, alot of this team came in his time or under Nuno who as here 5 mins. The long term player issue is abit of a convenient excuse that can be trotted out to cover their own reputations IMO

I wish him well but his squad management was atrocious

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

I said so myself and that's why I think the club should take into account their targets' mentality when trying to sign them. Squad building in a difficult exercice of balance. It's undeniable we've renewed the squad since Mourinho left (said so myself) but squad dynamics and psychology in general have nothing to do with hard science. If you have one clown shoe who's been there for ten years and you sign two players with a competitive attitude, your squad won't become a competitive one all of a sudden. That's not how it works, I think. There's groups, cliques and influence in all human groups. On the other hand, you could have a player who's been around for ten years but who keeps to himself and has very little influence on the rest of the squad.

Players and managers are delusional about their own shortcomings. When Cruyff lost the CL final against Capello's AC Milan, he threw his players under the bus even though everyone could see Capello completely out-smarted him on the day. I can't think of a top manager or a top player saying 'I haven't been good enough'. Just look at Cristiano Ronaldo, who's widely considered as the ultimate winner in football. So, I'm sure neither Mourinho nor Conte would be willing to admit (at least publicly) they got some decisions wrong but it's never a black and white situation: they made some mistakes, that's for sure; on the other hand, claiming that squad would be challenging for the title if not for their incompetence seems... far-fetched to me.

Conte's role had become untenable IMO given the recent outburst and, somewhat separately, unrest amongst fans was at the point of spilling over - Spurs fans were either getting angry or disengaging and becoming apathetic about the club

I can understand the interim appointment. Struggle to see why anyone would want to come in now. Its lose/lose for them

Hopefully Stellini and Mason can rev the team up. They obviously lack the creative player(s) to play certain styles but will be interesting to see whether Richie gets more game time, what they do at LB/LWB etc. Will they go 4-4-2 with Kane/Richie up top and Kulu and Son out wide? Or a similar 4-3-3 to Liverpool with a workman-like midfield but Porro and TBC on the left playing almost like wingbacks? Or just stay the same formation but try to play on the front foot more?

Conte's role had become untenable IMO given the recent outburst and, somewhat separately, unrest amongst fans was at the point of spilling over - Spurs fans were either getting angry or disengaging and becoming apathetic about the club

I can understand the interim appointment. Struggle to see why anyone would want to come in now. Its lose/lose for them

Hopefully Stellini and Mason can rev the team up. They obviously lack the creative player(s) to play certain styles but will be interesting to see whether Richie gets more game time, what they do at LB/LWB etc. Will they go 4-4-2 with Kane/Richie up top and Kulu and Son out wide? Or a similar 4-3-3 to Liverpool with a workman-like midfield but Porro and TBC on the left playing almost like wingbacks? Or just stay the same formation but try to play on the front foot more?
I'd like to see more Sarr, more Danjuma, less rigidity and far less 10 man defending.

4 permanent managers in 4 years now
That trend needs to stop and stop with the next appointment

Nuno was clearly way down our list of targets though rather than someone we actively wanted

Jose and Conte were clearly mistakes. If I'm being kind, you could argue that Levy realised that the squad hadnt been invested in because of the stadium so needed a 'results now' type manager, and results at all costs (rather than style).

We've added some good players over recent windwos though - Porro, Romero, Richie, Kulu, Bentancur, Sarr, Udogie, Bisouma (Brighton version) - so with a good window in this summer, we have no need for a manager like Mourinho/Conte now and can go for someone who actually plays reasonable football

And play Kane as a #10 in behind him, until we can recruit a new couple in the summer

I know some on here play fantasy football with Kane as a no 10, but that position/role requires a lot more running than Kane puts in. He's also a big guy so doesnt necessarily fit with that workrate

Playing Kane alongside Richie looks more natural as a 4-4-2 with Kulu and Son dropping back that a 4-2-3-1 even if few teams play 4-4-2 nowadays

I know some on here play fantasy football with Kane as a no 10, but that position/role requires a lot more running than Kane puts in. He's also a big guy so doesnt necessarily fit with that workrate

Playing Kane alongside Richie looks more natural as a 4-4-2 with Kulu and Son dropping back that a 4-2-3-1 even if few teams play 4-4-2 nowadays
4-4-2 with Son in the 4? I guess you play fantasy football too.

4-4-2 with Son in the 4? I guess you play fantasy football too.

you could play him as a left winger, but its shoe-horning him in. Its in response to the above comment about trying to get Kane and Richalison in centrally - something has to give. Either they both can't play centrally, or you play Son LW or maybe drop Son and play Perisic and Kulu as wingers in a 4-4-2

Richie won't be playing for a while and we haven't got a left back to play a 4.

4 permanent managers in 4 years now
That trend needs to stop and stop with the next appointment

It’ll be 15 managers in 22 years once the new appointment is made, so it’s a pattern that’s gone on for a lot longer than 4 years. Take out Harry and Poch’s spells in charge and it’s around about a manager a year.

And play Kane as a #10 in behind him, until we can recruit a new couple in the summer

So, take the best player in the country in his position over the past 8 years or so and move him to a position for which he may not be suited?

Hmmm…

Hopefully it'll work out for all parties, for Conte, just aiming for top four again this season will no doubt have been a disappointed considering the run at the end of last season coupled with our out of character decisive summer transfers window, - No decent CB and namely Richy / Bissouma / Perisic being underwhelming, no RWB that Conte wanted until January and a brick load of deadwood out on loan hampered us.

Some people are acting as if Conte was some seriel abuser and the club his victim, I'd say he had a curse of actually having standards and also being passionate but not in a "happy clapper" way. Funny how it's commonplace to get punished for telling the truth ie Conte / Linaker etc

Going in to the season getting a promising RWB and being one injury / suspension from us relying on Sanchez means we'd already thrown away the chance of doing something proper this season.

Thanks for trying though Conte! Probably best you go to a club more suited, like a competitive one maybe.

This is why it isn't that simple

- Richy (£60M for a squad player), Perisic (a 33 year old on high wages) and Bissouma (a proven PL CM accustomed to playing in a 3 or 4) are 100% Conte signings, he prioritized those signings over a CB, RWB
- Porro is another questionable judgement call (and again 100% Conte). We had Emerson (in much improving form), Doherty (who could play both sides) and a promising youngster in Spence on RWB, and See/Perisic struggling on LWB and a CB setup that needs help, Conte's demand? a £40M+ RWB and punt the cover. In hindsight (and yes, that's unfair), spending that money on a CB, having cover for both sides with Doherty would probably have been smarter (and actually spending some time developing Spence)
- He never embraced the club, he never let anyone forget (to the last day) how much work/gap there was here. He did the whole "I'm dating down, and doing you a favor", that is abuse.
- He didn't try, he didn't adapt, he didn't play one youth/"club" signing
- And the biggest indictment of Conte is last season (without pre-season), without the new players, without time to onboard all of his tactics, using some of the left over counter attack style, the team played better.

To me, Conte did exactly the same as Jose (who got less backing and was unbelievably less toxic), they bought into their own hype. All I need to do is rock up, tell these boys how to be clams/winners and teach them how to play pragmatic football and it will work. Reality is they both got regularly done tactically/motivationally by managers/clubs/players that everyone on this board would scoff at even considering for Spurs.

Back