• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anthony Martial

A simple question. Straight choice, Martial or Zaha?

Martial every damn day. Besides being three years younger, Martial offers us the positional versatility that we need from any new attacking signing. He can (and seems to want) to play as a central striker, and I think he's much more natural in that role than Zaha (even though he played there some with CP this year). He's already proven he can be a super effective wide forward that can come in and compete with Sonny, Dele, and Lucas right away.

Martial's numbers were better than Zaha's all across the board, which is even more impressive considering he was forced in and out of the team by Jose, whereas Wilf had the whole team built around him. His per-90 minute expected goals and assists were the best in the Prem for all outside forwards besides Salah and Sterling.

I'm a little dubious about whether we need another AM, but it seems that Poch thinks we do. In that case, Martial would be the ideal fit to replace the Llorente/Janssen minutes as Kane backup, while adding more depth to our front 4 and having the potential to be a world class attacker.

Sign. Him. Up. Daniel.

Martial every damn day. Besides being three years younger, Martial offers us the positional versatility that we need from any new attacking signing. He can (and seems to want) to play as a central striker, and I think he's much more natural in that role than Zaha (even though he played there some with CP this year). He's already proven he can be a super effective wide forward that can come in and compete with Sonny, Dele, and Lucas right away.

Martial's numbers were better than Zaha's all across the board, which is even more impressive considering he was forced in and out of the team by Jose, whereas Wilf had the whole team built around him. His per-90 minute expected goals and assists were the best in the Prem for all outside forwards besides Salah and Sterling.

I'm a little dubious about whether we need another AM, but it seems that Poch thinks we do. In that case, Martial would be the ideal fit to replace the Llorente/Janssen minutes as Kane backup, while adding more depth to our front 4 and having the potential to be a world class attacker.

Sign. Him. Up. Daniel.
What he said.

Martial can be coached to be world class I’m sure of it. It would be great if things could potentially move quickly with Chelski seemingly in a state of paralysis.

But then the maverick that is Zaha...surely he would want to extricate from a comfort zone pond and showcase his talent in the ucl....

He would undoubtedly frustrate but my GHod it would be like having a hedgehog superglued to our seats as he would excite the pants of us.

I would like both please Daniel....

Nah screw that....

WANT WANT WANT

Don't get excited, Levy will haggle and Cheastki will buy him, just when you thought they wouldn't splash the cash

I just don't know with Zaha. Martial also has question marks surrounding him, but I think you get more with him, especially from a goal scoring aspect. Martial, Son and Kane for 3 positions is a great set (LWF and #9) to have.

I’d take Lookman over Martial
Got very similar attributes but isn’t anwyhere near as well known. Looked great in Germany and has a generally great record for his age
Rapid and knows where the goal is too...

I'd go for them both, now that would be a good window offensively imo

I like martial and believe he would be a great signing but is a known quantity so there is an instant pressure

Lookman is relatively unknown and has been wasted at Everton

I like martial and believe he would be a great signing but is a known quantity so there is an instant pressure

Lookman is relatively unknown and has been wasted at Everton

I was quite surprised that Everton went for him, he doesn't really fit with what they normally go for. Once they were in and ahead of anyone else he was always going to go there but I am sure if someone else more renowned for buying younger players had come in then he would have preferred a move there instead of Everton.

Personally, I would still go for Martial above him with no hesitation because I think we need that buzz of a top quality player coming in rather than potential that has shown some talent but if Lookman was available for a decent fee, maybe around the £20m mark I would love us to go for him, I think we had monitored him at Charlton and probably should've pulled the trigger given how Alli had settled in that first season, think it was the January of 2016?

I think we had monitored him at Charlton and probably should've pulled the trigger
Ha ha, you think?
In the Quick Draw Wild West of player signings, we almost never pull the trigger. We discuss the size of gun, think about the trigger, talk about which finger to use, assess whether other guns are available, then... nope, too slow

Have to wonder why Jose brick on him really. The man is a mystery...

Gets regularly criticised for not developing players. Has a young player putting up fantastic stat. Bombs him out for an over priced buy...

I think Martial would be great, but I do worry about this, does Jose not trust him because he won’t do the required defensive work or isn’t smart enough to play to scheme?

I think Martial would be great, but I do worry about this, does Jose not trust him because he won’t do the required defensive work or isn’t smart enough to play to scheme?

I’d argue that Jose trusts certain players more than others because their more “robotic” and do their job

Lukaku is trusted as he does a certain role, Matic too. Neither IMO are anywhere near as good as their rated but they are effective in his system

Players like martial and rashford are attacking players who do lose the ball, do make mistakes and sometimes waste chances... but their work rate is ver6 good whenever I’ve seen them. Maybe it’s just that they don’t stick to a rigid plan

I’d argue that Jose trusts certain players more than others because their more “robotic” and do their job

Lukaku is trusted as he does a certain role, Matic too. Neither IMO are anywhere near as good as their rated but they are effective in his system

Players like martial and rashford are attacking players who do lose the ball, do make mistakes and sometimes waste chances... but their work rate is ver6 good whenever I’ve seen them. Maybe it’s just that they don’t stick to a rigid plan

Indeed, but is that not equally important to our system?

Back