• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Another shooting in Murica

I lived in the US for six months (NYC and LA). I don't claim to know the national psyche or even care enough about what happens to them to be honest. I found them by and large some of rudest, most obnoxious people I've met in my years of travelling. I have zero interest in living there again. As mentioned above I can think of many countries in the world that I would describe as 'greater'. Including Mexico which is widely belittled in the US despite having more culture in Mexico City than the whole of the US combined.

Nowhere in the world are people so self consumed, materialistic, mentally damaged and ignorant.

Ban all nations from entering, build a wall and let them do what they want with their guns and constitution.

I've lived there for a bit and though I liked it I would never settle my family there. It wouldn't even be in my top 5 really.
Inte
There are guns (rifles and shotguns) in about half of households here in Norway, which is probably on par with the USA. Why then are there over 1000 times more gun crimes in the USA? I can tell you! Because of gun control, and the training you have to go through to be licensed to have a firearm. You are taught how to use the gun for hunting deer and birds, not as a weapon against other human beings!

I make you about right.

I lived in the US for six months (NYC and LA). I don't claim to know the national psyche or even care enough about what happens to them to be honest. I found them by and large some of rudest, most obnoxious people I've met in my years of travelling. I have zero interest in living there again. As mentioned above I can think of many countries in the world that I would describe as 'greater'. Including Mexico which is widely belittled in the US despite having more culture in Mexico City than the whole of the US combined.

Nowhere in the world are people so self consumed, materialistic, mentally damaged and ignorant.

Ban all nations from entering, build a wall and let them do what they want with their guns and constitution.

I guess it all comes down to ones personal experience. I love it here , I love Mexico as well. Different strokes and all that.

For what it's worth in Australia they clamped down on guns about 15 years ago after a couple of mass shootings (Hoddle Street and Port Arthur). The then Prime Minister John Howard to his credit changed the law and made it almost a gun free country. Hunters obviously still apply for licences but the level of licencing and control is unbelievable.

My girlfriends dad was given a criminal record for failing to have his gun in a locked cupboard. His house got burgled and they stole the gun which left him in a tricky situation because he had to admit to the police that it had been kept unlocked. Took him $15,000 and a couple of years to get the conviction quashed. Had he not reported it stolen/missing/unlocked and it was used in a crime he would have had huge problems.

It's also worth noting that IF i really needed a gun, I think it would be easier here in Australia than in the UK. I'm proud of the lack of guns in the UK and the fact the police by and large don't carry them.

There are guns (rifles and shotguns) in about half of households here in Norway, which is probably on par with the USA. Why then are there over 1000 times more gun crimes in the USA? I can tell you! Because of gun control, and the training you have to go through to be licensed to have a firearm. You are taught how to use the gun for hunting deer and birds, not as a weapon against other human beings!
That's part of the story, but only part of it.

The major culprit for gun crimes and gun deaths in the US is gang violence, primarily connected to drugs. The main reason for the disparity between the US and Norway is (imo) the utterly failed war on drugs.

Mass shootings... the self proclaimed greatest country on earth tops the statistics, but the difference is smaller than for overall gun crime and gun deaths.

I'd suggest that a strong emphasis on the responsibility of ownership, via controls, training, licensing etc, as opposed to it being considered an inalienable right, is a big part of this.

I'd suggest that a strong emphasis on the responsibility of ownership, via controls, training, licensing etc, as opposed to it being considered an inalienable right, is a big part of this.
Absolutely a part of it.

We have a home guard service in Norway. All have composure mandatory military service of around a year. A couple of decades back it was pretty much required for everyone to bring their rifle and ammunition home. Ready to fight the Soviets should they invade of course.

Now, these were all trained and licences gun owners. And very powerful automatic weapons. Old fashioned assault rifle type thingy, with a lot of punch behind it.

Unsurprisingly there were several incidents where these weapons were involved in shootings and killings. As a quick historical recap that wasn't because the Soviets invaded.

Rules changed as a result of several tragedies. First part of the firing mechanism was left at the military encampments. Later the entire weapon was left there. That worked, who would have guessed it...

Absolutely a part of it.

We have a home guard service in Norway. All have composure mandatory military service of around a year. A couple of decades back it was pretty much required for everyone to bring their rifle and ammunition home. Ready to fight the Soviets should they invade of course.

Now, these were all trained and licences gun owners. And very powerful automatic weapons. Old fashioned assault rifle type thingy, with a lot of punch behind it.

Unsurprisingly there were several incidents where these weapons were involved in shootings and killings. As a quick historical recap that wasn't because the Soviets invaded.

Rules changed as a result of several tragedies. First part of the firing mechanism was left at the military encampments. Later the entire weapon was left there. That worked, who would have guessed it...
This, and also the strict regulations on how guns should be stored at home. It's mandatory to store the gun(s) in a weapon safe, and firing pin/bolt has to be stored separately from the gun. That in combination with the totally different mentality to what use a gun is intended for, makes a massive difference. The whole mentality needs to change in 'murica, and that is probably almost impossible, or will take several generations to change. It's a massive challenge, but one that needs to be taken sooner rather than later.

if you do that how will you protect your family from the many rapists and murderers that break into your home.

NRA fund Republican 'party'. Tends to put the whole 'gun restriction' question down the crapper doesn't it?

if you do that how will you protect your family from the many rapists and murderers that break into your home.
If a criminal with a gun faces someone that also has a gun, there is a pretty high probability that someone is going to get shot. If however only 1 of them have a gun, there is no need to use the gun, and no one gets shot.

If a criminal with a gun faces someone that also has a gun, there is a pretty high probability that someone is going to get shot. If however only 1 of them have a gun, there is no need to use the gun, and no one gets shot.

Gun nuts are convinced every housebreaker wants to murder and rape their family and not just take their tv, with this in mind owning a gun and not locking it away seems quite sensible.

Gun nuts are convinced every housebreaker wants to murder and rape their family and not just take their tv, with this in mind owning a gun and not locking it away seems quite sensible.

The fear. It's all about the fear. Always fearing the worst, always suspicious about everyone else and their perceived evil motives. Shoot first, ask questions later. An irrational need for protection everywhere you go, because you always fear the person approaching is out to do you harm. And protection=guns, of course.

Home of the brave? I think not.

(broad generalisation, I know)

I don't see how anyone can logically defend gun control. Their best argument should be, we know it's bad, but it's who we are; we're not going to change it.

But by defending gun ownership, in a democratic country, you quite simple have some blood on your hands. You are perpetuating needless deaths of numerous people. Why would anyone want that?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The fear. It's all about the fear. Always fearing the worst, always suspicious about everyone else and their perceived evil motives. Shoot first, ask questions later. An irrational need for protection everywhere you go, because you always fear the person approaching is out to do you harm. And protection=guns, of course.

Home of the brave? I think not.

(broad generalisation, I know)

Also how they justify the OTT actions of their bad police - they fear for their lives... Its an unarmed teenage boy, they shouldn't be as scared as they are.

Back