• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Annus Horribilis 2011/2012 .............................

All I'll say is that one of the richer sides in world football not in next years competition? Oh no we can't have that.

Little ol Tottenham finishing above the scum? Oh no we can't have that go and do your stuff Martin fulop!

weird ain't it?

Some decent responses but as with every other thread we just keep going back to our bad luck and bad refereeing decisions.

Yes, we were down to 10 men against Villa and that was because we had no cover for our full backs and had to play a poor LW at LB. Hopelessly out of his depth in previous games against Blackburn and Bolton (i said he would definitely cost us after the Bolton game and got criticised for it by some) he should have been nowhere the starting line-up.
The appalling January window was the reason why he was playing. We loaned out good pros that could only have filled in at LB (three of the actually) and never replaced them like for like.We should have kept all our squad for the vital and very demanding run-in AND added to the squad, we did neither.
Harry must take responsibility for this.
We ran our players into the ground becuase of our lack of squad depth. Walker, Kaboul,Parker,Bale,Ekotto are all now injured and two and possibly three of those will now miss the Euros.
Chelsea with half a team missing and most of their defence out still managed to put out a team that looked strong on paper in the last few games. Ferreira and Bosingwa might not be great but they are very decent squad players for cover.

I could have made a thread only about our bad luck,it's all true, we got 'foyed' many times, we conceded more late goals than we scored (is that bad luck or bad play?). We had near misses, hit the woodwork often and keepers performed heroics. Is that bad luck or just bad finishing?

Ultimately we did have a lot of bad luck but some was self-induced.

Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea cleaned up, The goons got CL, So did Cheatski even though they finished 6th and became the first London club to win the CL, on top of all that they denied us a place.
QPR stayed up, i wanted them to get relegated.
West Ham and their inferiority complex are back in the PL via the play offs thanks to a last minute goal.
Even my second/ local team Southend missed out on promotion by one point. An abandoned game due to floodlight failure against Aldershot when leading comfortably mid-way through the second half ultimately cost Southend promotion as the when the game was replayed some months later,Aldershot by this time in red hot form won the game.
Southend then lost in the play-offs to Crewe , a team they had beaten twice in the league!

As the thread title said......a really horrible football year but i don't feel half as tinkled off about it all as i did a couple of days ago.

how did he blow it.........i was there........we were down to 10 men after 5 mins in the 2nd half.........we scored and adebayo had at least one clear chance to win it.........harry's fault was it.........lets change the record for feck sake......

If you were at that game you must have seen that Villa were hanging on, they were hanging on thanks to a scrappy deflected goal and were happy with the point. We were all over them and a win would have guaranteed us 3rd place, so Redknapp played safe and put on a DM instead of a guy who could have won us the game. Never mind about changing the record lets be honest and admit it was the wrong decision.

For what it is worth, here is what the footie writers of The Grauniad were predicting in terms of league positions ahead of the season (and ahead of the Scott Parker signing).

Back in August, when we asked our writers to predict what the final table would look like, then added everything up and divided by whatever in a process that seemed fairly mathematical at the time, this is what we came up with (actual positions in brackets):

1 Manchester Utd (2)

2 Emirates Marketing Project (1)

3 Chelsea (6)

4 Liverpool ( 8 )

5 Arsenal (3)

6 Tottenham (4)

7 Everton (7)

8 Sunderland (13)

9 Fulham (9)

10 Stoke (14)

11 Bolton ( 18 )

12 Aston Villa (16)

13 West Bromwich (10)

14 Saudi Sportswashing Machine (5)

15 Wolves (20)

16 Norwich (12)

17 QPR (17)

18 Wigan (15)

19 Blackburn (19)

20 Swansea (11)

- - -

I am not saying the Grauniad writers are faultless in their ability to prognosticate; I just thought it would be interesting to reflect on pre-season expectations from neutrals.

Well they got 3 out of 20 i spose. Was an odd season positions wise tho

If you were at that game you must have seen that Villa were hanging on, they were hanging on thanks to a scrappy deflected goal and were happy with the point. We were all over them and a win would have guaranteed us 3rd place, so Redknapp played safe and put on a DM instead of a guy who could have won us the game. Never mind about changing the record lets be honest and admit it was the wrong decision.

...and you COULD argue that if Defoe had legs the length of Crouch's he MIGHT have reached Bale's cross up at Emirates Marketing Project... but personally, I wouldn't swap Defoe for Crouch over a season...

yes, this was ONE game, and one decision that may have affected a game... but there were plenty of other moments (and players) who were picked (without any noise or dissent from us at the time) who failed to deliver at vital moments in the season... step forward Mr Modric!

I am not saying the Grauniad writers are faultless in their ability to prognosticate; I just thought it would be interesting to reflect on pre-season expectations from neutrals.

I predicted something very similar too, except I had us above Liverpool like most people.

That's not really relevant though as I've stated in a number of threads. Performance can only be judged in comparison to how everyone else performed. Had the entire first teams of Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal gone on strike for the whole season, anything other than winning the league would have been a complete disaster.

Equally, given how brick Chelsea and Arsenal were this season, 4th has to be considered less than good enough. Especially as it doesn't get us our one major goal of the season - qualification for the CL.

how did he blow it.........i was there........we were down to 10 men after 5 mins in the 2nd half.........we scored and adebayo had at least one clear chance to win it.........harrys fault was it.........lets change the record for feck sake......

We were on top, the only team that looked like scoring and with that substitution we lost our momentum. So yes it was a massive fudge up from Harry, and a decision totally out of line with our motto and ethos. Not saying get rid but am definitely saying that was a poor decision because it was!

...and you COULD argue that if Defoe had legs the length of Crouch's he MIGHT have reached Bale's cross up at Emirates Marketing Project... but personally, I wouldn't swap Defoe for Crouch over a season...

yes, this was ONE game, and one decision that may have affected a game... but there were plenty of other moments (and players) who were picked (without any noise or dissent from us at the time) who failed to deliver at vital moments in the season... step forward Mr Modric!
But according to some people Modric deserves to ge playing in the cl!](*,)](*,)](*,)

I predicted something very similar too, except I had us above Liverpool like most people.

That's not really relevant though as I've stated in a number of threads. Performance can only be judged in comparison to how everyone else performed. Had the entire first teams of Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal gone on strike for the whole season, anything other than winning the league would have been a complete disaster.

Equally, given how brick Chelsea and Arsenal were this season, 4th has to be considered less than good enough. Especially as it doesn't get us our one major goal of the season - qualification for the CL.

I'm tending to come round to this point of view now.

I think the drop off from the first part of the season compared to the second was completely unacceptable. Arsenal and Chelsea were utter brick this season and despite them having some good players we simply had better ones. We were gifted finishing above Chelsea and Arsenal were trying to gift that to us too. We're also lucky that Liverpool managed to absolutely waste as much money as they did.

Maybe we over-acheived a little in the first half of the season. But 15 points more than the second half? It's just too much. We threw it away. We were performing well, Harry had us going like that, and even in the second half we were dominating the ball, we just lacked the cutting edge IMO because confidence was sapped from all the speculation.

Absolutely head bangingly infuriating how everything seems to have conspired against us.

For every year we don't make it, it seems the only way you can do it is to get rich owners

Sad times
Even if we had a bankroller, other clubs will too, so there still won't be much in it.

I'm genuinely proud and am enjoying the position we're competing at, these past few years.

Back