• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ange’s system / formation

I don't think it's even that. The only thing this squad needs is time, and maybe 2 or 3 quality additions over the next 3/4 windows.
So you agree with me that we need different players for Ange's tactics and formation to work better?

Fair, I'm just comparing the free flowing start of the season to the stuttering last few weeks and months. I know there's going to be bumps but just trying to understand exactly why the players seem less secure in the plan. Like someone said in the OMT, even our dawdling on taking free kicks after being fouled. At the start of the season there was no hesitation, it was clear. The plan was clear. Now they all just seem a little unsure.

I'm sure it'll come good with time, but I'm just trying to say I think the onus at the moment lies more with the players than Ange.

I don't disagree, but that's on Ange too, and only time will fix it. For me, the players are not getting the rewards for their bravery that they got early in the season, and that makes them go into their shells even more. There's no one out there taking control of a game, everyone looking at the player next to them to do something. The speed from dead balls is a really important observation. It's a huge part of Ange's system, and to me says there's a real lack of confidence in the squad.

I think our biggest issue this season has been the lack of football. We need to be playing more.

Reactions: jrh
I don't disagree, but that's on Ange too, and only time will fix it. For me, the players are not getting the rewards for their bravery that they got early in the season, and that makes them go into their shells even more. There's no one out there taking control of a game, everyone looking at the player next to them to do something. The speed from dead balls is a really important observation. It's a huge part of Ange's system, and to me says there's a real lack of confidence in the squad.

I think our biggest issue this season has been the lack of football. We need to be playing more.

We've had a really disjointed calendar, the breaks between games have been nuts.

Here's Ange saying something similar:

“It ended up being a transition game, and a lot of that was self-inflicted by us. We weren’t brave on the ball, we’ve been really good this year at understanding that when we have the ball we can be a threat, certain players just shied away from that today. When you do that, you allow the game to be played on Saudi Sportswashing Machine’s terms.”

So which one is it? Ange has been sussed out or we just need more time?
At the moment, the tactics don't appear.to be working. I personally put that down to the players we have not performing to the required level.

Trust me, I totally buy into Ange.and what he is bringing to the club. I'm not jumping on him, I loved the way we played at the beginning of the season but something has changed. Quite clearly. That something is either the opposition figuring out ways to negate the tactics, or our players can't, for whatever reason, implement them as well as they did.

At the moment, the tactics don't appear.to be working. I personally put that down to the players we have not performing to the required level.

Trust me, I totally buy into Ange.and what he is bringing to the club. I'm not jumping on him, I loved the way we played at the beginning of the season but something has changed. Quite clearly. That something is either the opposition figuring out ways to negate the tactics, or our players can't, for whatever reason, implement them as well as they did.

But what are you actually saying? I'm not sitting here arguing that things are rosy and we're playing brilliantly. It's been brick. But it's just a case of riding it out. Because it will get better. And then it'll get really fudging good.

Maybe you're just venting after a really brick game and I understand and respect that, not trying to argue.

But what are you actually saying? I'm not sitting here arguing that things are rosy and we're playing brilliantly. It's been brick. But it's just a case of riding it out. Because it will get better. And then it'll get really fudging good.

Maybe you're just venting after a really brick game and I understand and respect that, not trying to argue.
This was in my original post...this is what I was asking.

'The question is, will those tactics be more effective with different players who are more suited to it? What would those kind of players look like in terms of skill'

'The question is, will those tactics be more effective with different players who are more suited to it? What would those kind of players look like in terms of skill'

And I'm saying, yes new players will help (like with literally every other team in the Premier League) but mostly the players we have at the moment need time.

All 3 starting midfielders have been taken off in the last 5 matches (since Villa 4-0 - Fulham, Luton, West Ham, Nottingham Forest, Saudi Sportswashing Machine). Says a lot for how we've struggled to keep the ball and dominate as Ange wants.

We're 5th. 8 months into a completely different style, a total rebuild. What the fudge did you expect? I'd say that's the problem, not Ange being 'sussed'
Bro what you need to understand is no matter what, no matter where we finish in the table many Spurs fans think we are the best no matter the results. So with the early season renaissance many didn't see that as the start of something new and place to build from but instead a return to where "we are supposed to be." So now that form has gone and the system has issues there is a disconnect because for them it was supposed to work because it seemed to earlier in the season.

Remember many thought this same team could and would win the league this very season. Losing to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and especially on the manner of today is inexcusable and not understandable if you already think we are by far the 4th best team in the country at least.

Last edited:

We need better and more suited players. I watch us play and systemically it's really not that different from many heavy possesion sides I've watched over the years. What I do see stand out for this team Vs those that won things is the technical quality of some of the players particularly in attack but honestly all over the pitch.

Truth to be told if Spurs were to win the league under Ange I would expect the starting 11 to look quite different to the one we see now. It will evolve over time but I do think an issue is deep down some of these guys aren't suited to doing what he's trying to achieve. Maybe that means he's being unrealistic and foolhardy and that's something we will determine with time but just look at the players City have and think to yourself that's what we are essentially trying to achieve.

We need better and more suited players. I watch us play and systemically it's really not that different from many heavy possesion sides I've watched over the years. What I do see stand out for this team Vs those that won things is the technical quality of some of the players particularly in attack but honestly all over the pitch.

Truth to be told if Spurs were to win the league under Ange I would expect the starting 11 to look quite different to the one we see now. It will evolve over time but I do think an issue is deep down some of these guys aren't suited to doing what he's trying to achieve. Maybe that means he's being unrealistic and foolhardy and that's something we will determine with time but just look at the players City have and think to yourself that's what we are essentially trying to achieve.
Thank you mate. Have answered my question, and voiced my own feelings much better than I did.

So we're just copying Pep mate? ;)

He could do with being a bit more flexible though, as players get used to the tactics and we sign better players or ones more suited to the system we'll improve but the current setup means we'll always let in lots of goals and when you do that it's going to be hard to win things.

We've had 6 clean sheets all season and 1 since Christmas which just isn't good enough at this level. Teams in this league are deadly, even the bottom teams have decent players now.

Definitely need a no 6 and proper striker to play this setup.

All 3 starting midfielders have been taken off in the last 5 matches (since Villa 4-0 - Fulham, Luton, West Ham, Nottingham Forest, Saudi Sportswashing Machine). Says a lot for how we've struggled to keep the ball and dominate as Ange wants.

maybe its just not possible with his system and the existing players.
its a dangerous situation for ange to pin blame on players without changing the gameplan.
previous coaches have tried and failed.

He could do with being a bit more flexible though, as players get used to the tactics and we sign better players or ones more suited to the system we'll improve but the current setup means we'll always let in lots of goals and when you do that it's going to be hard to win things.

We've had 6 clean sheets all season and 1 since Christmas which just isn't good enough at this level. Teams in this league are deadly, even the bottom teams have decent players now.

Definitely need a no 6 and proper striker to play this setup.
And he doesn’t have them currently
But what do you change?
I’d love to see a youth player step up for a chance but that’s never happening

Back