• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ange’s system / formation

You have to admire @Jurgen the Germans commitment to bagging us out and comparing us to Liverpool for almost ten years

Is this not a football forum for discussing all things Spurs, including the manager?
Lots of comments like this recently that everyone just has to blindly support without discussing things.
I am not suggesting blindly support. I am suggesting that people calm the eff down and not throw the baby out with the bath water. It is too damn early to say Ange's tactics are not working.

Those quotes could be from just about any of our managers since at least ABV.

Sure, but the point isn’t that Ange isn’t going to go the same way as those managers. It is that it was too soon to judge Poch (and the rest) after 9 months and it’s too soon to judge Ange after that amount of time.

Last edited:
From Ally gold

Spurs were horrendous, but Postecoglou's painful growth comments hold. Tottenham have more points at this stage than in any season in the past 5 years and have scored more. They've conceded two less than last year despite the defeats at Saudi Sportswashing Machine & Fulham.

I am not suggesting blindly support. I am suggesting that people calm the eff down and not throw the baby out with the bath water. It is too damn early to say Ange's tactics are not working.
And maybe you need to calm the eff down with reacting to the criticism? From what I've seen nobody is looking for Ange to be sacked, just raising valid concerns about the goals we are leaking.

From Ally gold

Spurs were horrendous, but Postecoglou's painful growth comments hold. Tottenham have more points at this stage than in any season in the past 5 years and have scored more. They've conceded two less than last year despite the defeats at Saudi Sportswashing Machine & Fulham.
Last year is a low benchmark.

Though individually they have certain qualities I don’t think our midfield is good enough to control a game.
At this point it's undeniable and I really rate our midfield but it's just not as good as I thought it was. DM is the really obvious issue position but a DM doesn't allow us to suddenly control games. It's to do with the makeup of the other CMs and our forwards who are not possesion players or suited to a heavy possesion style.

At this point it's undeniable and I really rate our midfield but it's just not as good as I thought it was. DM is the really obvious issue position but a DM doesn't allow us to suddenly control games. It's to do with the makeup of the other CMs and our forwards who are not possesion players or suited to a heavy possesion style.
We cough the ball up too easily and get caught out with too many players forward. City get caught out similarly but it only happens a couple of times per game because they are so good in possession and get away with it. With us it happens repeatedly during the game.

Sure, but the point isn’t that Ange isn’t going to go the same way as those managers. It is that it was too soon to judge Poch (and the rest) after 9 months and it’s too soon to judge Ange after that amount of time.

I'm more inclined to think that it's not the manager it's something within the club.
Look at the narrative around werner and Darwin at Liverpool or jesus at arsenal.
Very similar scenarios, totally different narrative in the media.
Other clubs seem able to rise above it, we let it drag us down.
We are weak mentally.

Last 5 years points though
No just last year
The point Gold made about last year: "They've conceded two less than last year despite the defeats at Saudi Sportswashing Machine & Fulham."
That is the only point made about last year and what I'm referring to when I said last year is a low benchmark, nothing to do with the last 5 years.

My tolerance of any of our managers is much greater than that of Levy. I’ve long been an advocate of enduring cycles of feast and famine to benefit from lessons learned. We have had both in Postecoglu season one.

What we will get in season two is something to be excited about: Will Postecoglu find players better suited to his system or will he tweak that system, and how will he cope with more games?

Personally I think the big steps forward will come with new players - the system will stay the same.

I think it’s fine to criticise Ange but, for the arguments to hold up, they have to be consistent whether we win or lose IMO.

I don’t track poster’s history so this might be unfair but the overall tone of the message board seems to swing hard depending on the result. I don’t know if that’s because individuals are reacting differently based on results or whether people only come on to post to suit an agenda.

Naturally it’ll be a bit more negative when we lose and positive when we win but it does feel over reactionary at times.

And this place is the most sensible and balanced place to discuss Spurs on the internet IMO.

I keep seeing referenced some sort of over reaction, can someone point me to such posts? I've only seen people really criticise the defensive displays which have been shocking for some time and people say Ange will have to figure out a way to solve this. Has anyone suggested we get rid of Ange or something similar?Not at all.

For as long as we continue to be so ridiculously vulnerable at the back whilst not scoring a bucket load of goals at the other end it is open to both discussion and criticism. As a whole Ange has done great, but he is not a genius and is not beyond criticism and being questioned. This very much has the feel of Poch all over again, where the mention of anything negative would be shouted down by many as if the guy walked on water and you wasn't allowed to critique in any way unless it was positive. Questioning a certain aspect of a managers tactics or managerial performance does not mean you don't rate the guy.

The only real over reaction I've seen in regards to Ange was those talking about us challenging for the title based on a good start to the season. That really was something....

Back