• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I remember Stewart Downing bursting onto the scene at Middlesbrough, earning rave reviews and big moves... then we all decided he was terrible and he went to West Ham, where he is having a bit of a resurgence, but still he isn't on our wanted list.

Yet even at that time, people said forget Downing, there is this other guy called Adam Johnson who is even better, just you wait... he too got rave reviews and a big money move... and has now been dumped at Sunderland for years.

That is the kind of level Townsend aspires to... shows promise, scores some beautiful goals, everyone gets excited, England call up, play for a big club... but then dumped on the tarmac head first.

I remember Stewart Downing bursting onto the scene at Middlesbrough, earning rave reviews and big moves... then we all decided he was terrible and he went to West Ham, where he is having a bit of a resurgence, but still he isn't on our wanted list.

Yet even at that time, people said forget Downing, there is this other guy called Adam Johnson who is even better, just you wait... he too got rave reviews and a big money move... and has now been dumped at Sunderland for years.

That is the kind of level Townsend aspires to... shows promise, scores some beautiful goals, everyone gets excited, England call up, play for a big club... but then dumped on the tarmac head first.

Downing and Johnson are decent if not overly spectacular PL players and if that is Townsend's level then so be it. He'll be fine for a squad position at Spurs or a starter at a mid/lower table club I would suggest. But every player is develops at differnt speeds so who knows what Townsend's true level is. He may mature (in a playing sense) later than those others. With the England call-ups and the subsequent injury, and then his failed attempt to play himself back into the squad if would be fair to say that his last year has been fairly topsy-turvy.

He's one of our own so I'm willing to give him a little more time to find his feet, and work with the current coaches in the hope that they can get him playing his best. I would however pull him out of the first team now as that is not helping him at all. Probably the opposite.

Downing had learnt the biggest lesson any footballer can, GET YOUR HEAD UP AND LOOK FOR A PASS.

Downing had pace but not huge amounts and fair play to the lad, rather than continue to go down the head down and hope route (Gillespie and Etherington) he has adapted his game, head up, picks pass, good range of passing, creates and scores.

When a player like Townsend rely on pace or perception of pace, getting their head up and seeing whats on is near on impossible, they are trying to pass the player or get a shot off (often not looking at where they are shooting)

Downing had learnt the biggest lesson any footballer can, GET YOUR HEAD UP AND LOOK FOR A PASS.

Downing had pace but not huge amounts and fair play to the lad, rather than continue to go down the head down and hope route (Gillespie and Etherington) he has adapted his game, head up, picks pass, good range of passing, creates and scores.

When a player like Townsend rely on pace or perception of pace, getting their head up and seeing whats on is near on impossible, they are trying to pass the player or get a shot off (often not looking at where they are shooting)

Downing is still one of the fastest players in the Premier league...

I must say his interplay, run and pass for THAT Soldado miss against Burnley was a real eye-opener for me; he would not have done that last season and if Soldado hadn't missed that, it would have been one of our best ever breakaway goals ever imo, plus Townsend would have bagged an amazing assist.

He IS learning it seems.

Needs to be kept now imo

I must say his interplay, run and pass for THAT Soldado miss against Burnley was a real eye-opener for me; he would not have done that last season and if Soldado hadn't missed that, it would have been one of our best ever breakaway goals ever imo, plus Townsend would have bagged an amazing assist.

He IS learning it seems.

Needs to be kept now imo

In that move he showed he offered something Lamela can't provide - a quality deliver with his right foot. Lamela would have shifted it on to his left and the chance would have been gone.

He looked like he played really well against Burnley from what i saw of the 10 minute highlights on the OS - saw glimpses of some actual real potential for a change.

Hopefully we see more of the same.

Townsend always had real potential he just needed confidence and a bit of coaching. Look at his displays for England he's looked one of England's best players each time. Some commentators have debated who is better between him and Sterling yet some on here claim he is championship standard.

I don't think so, he's been close to the exit several times for Spurs over the years - actually being released at one point but refusing to leave! (Or so the story goes..) players like Kane, Mason have always been spoken up for good things, don't ever recall the same being the case for Townsend - happy to have a proper Spurs fan in the squad though and to prove himself capable.

Townsend always had real potential he just needed confidence and a bit of coaching. Look at his displays for England he's looked one of England's best players each time. Some commentators have debated who is better between him and Sterling yet some on here claim he is championship standard.

He's so frustrating, because he clearly has the ability. If he was just crap, then there'd be more ambivalence about him.

Personally I really like him. I love his attitude. If something goes wrong, he doesn't hide or take the easy option next time, he just keeps trying to be assertive. I was playing last night and nothing was working, so instead of withdrawing, I consciously said to myself 'be more Townsend', so I just kept demanding the ball and trying the more ambitious stuff. I think it's a really commendable quality.

He's so frustrating, because he clearly has the ability. If he was just crap, then there'd be more ambivalence about him.

Personally I really like him. I love his attitude. If something goes wrong, he doesn't hide or take the easy option next time, he just keeps trying to be assertive. I was playing last night and nothing was working, so instead of withdrawing, I consciously said to myself 'be more Townsend', so I just kept demanding the ball and trying the more ambitious stuff. I think it's a really commendable quality.

Even if you say so yourself.....

Townsend has potential and he is exactly the type of player that Poch developed at Soton. Yes he is frustrating but if he can combine his increased awareness and team play with more confidence then he would be ahead of Lamela IMO (not that this is saying much currently)

Even if you say so yourself.....

Townsend has potential and he is exactly the type of player that Poch developed at Soton. Yes he is frustrating but if he can combine his increased awareness and team play with more confidence then he would be ahead of Lamela IMO (not that this is saying much currently)

:)

I meant in him, because it was really hard to do

I'd still prefer Townsend on the left. A Townsend with awareness and passing ability playing on his stronger side would be key.

If he can continue putting in crosses with his right like he did against Burnley it shouldn't make much difference really

If he can continue putting in crosses with his right like he did against Burnley it shouldn't make much difference really

But he's stronger with his left. It's like how I always preferred Bale on the left. I think Townsend would actually score more on the left with drilled shots across goal rather then him cutting in and using his laces.

Back