• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I have been saying play him on the left for over a year now, but people on here keep telling me that is the best place to Eriksen. I would try Eriksen as a number 10 considering the current players we have

I have been saying play him on the left for over a year now, but people on here keep telling me that is the best place to Eriksen. I would try Eriksen as a number 10 considering the current players we have

I think it is unfair to judge Townsend while he is being played out of position, I would like to see him start six games playing on the left before making up my mind, I know that he works hard off the pitch and wants to succeed badly.

That's what you get with direct dribblers though, and its the same with Lamela. They take risks, and don't always come off but you need someone with that ability in your team to offer something different otherwise will just be a load of predictable passing most of the time. You also saw him dribble half the pitch at pace and create an opportunity - of course, you fail to mention that though....

Next time I will remember to cover the full 90 minutes. :rolleyes: And not a two minute section of the game that basically sums him up

I think it is unfair to judge Townsend while he is being played out of position, I would like to see him start six games playing on the left before making up my mind, I know that he works hard off the pitch and wants to succeed badly.

Townsend wants to play on the right.

I prefer being on the right side. The manager’s formation is new to me, but I’m learning. We’ve had some chats about how he wants me to play and I’m trying to implement that on the field. It’s going to take time, but I know I can fit into this formation.

http://www.squawka.com/news/tottenhams-andros-townsend-reveals-his-favourite-position/185470

Next time I will remember to cover the full 90 minutes. :rolleyes: And not a two minute section of the game that basically sums him up
What when you choose to take two words to talk about a quality goal against top opposition then have a nice long sentence about how he lost the ball once that led to a chance? But fail to mention his lung busting run for half the pitch creating a chance?

Just about sums up some fans on here 'support' for certain players....

His biggest problem will always be his pysch. He has the tools, he trains very very well, but he inexplicably doesn't always continue his strong work during the week on the pitch at weekends. Yes, the formation might be an issue for him in terms of favorite position, but it is his application of said-system/his role on a consistent basis that actually ends up counting against him far more. His designated role in Poch's system is one of the most important positions on the pitch, and we have seen what happens systemically when he is not 'on it' (the whole shape of the side fudges up)...

I would like to see him play a little 'calmer' and more 'in his own pocket' so-to-speak. Oftentimes, I look at him and feel he is edgy or nervous, wound-up a little too tight. I appreciate that this is a PERSONAL observation, and as such can be taken as poppyrooster or fact, but I feel firmly it's the latter.

I know for a stone-cold fact that he is considered an excellent trainer and has consistently given the coaching staff great hope, which has not been fulfilled consistently.

It was a lovely strike from him, how anyone could argue that I do not know. But I think if you spoke to managers and coaches, they'd like to see more assists, more variation and more consistency in his performances on either side of the ball.

As a side note, one thing few have mentioned is that the chance came about because Mason won a very important ball high up the pitch. I also thought Kane had a good game considering the absolute garbage he was playing with behind him in the first half...

But anyway, like everyone, I hope Andros can kick on and become what he has the potential to be. In fairness, when he had that last England explosion, he went on to become a very important member of AVB's side until he went into that pit behind the ads at the Park Lane end (something which I feel has left a lasting impression on him, if only posturally)...good luck to the lad, but time is running out.

What when you choose to take two words to talk about a quality goal against top opposition then have a nice long sentence about how he lost the ball once that led to a chance? But fail to mention his lung busting run for half the pitch creating a chance?

Just about sums up some fans on here 'support' for certain players....

No it doesn't, have you not heard or seen where two things that happen in a short space of time yet polar opposites which therefore sum up a situation before.

All your doing is trying to beat down what I said and trying to make me out as some farcical plastic because they don't see it how you see it.

My offer stands, lets go through the whole England game and see how many lung busting runs compared to losing it we can find.

It is my perception of Andros Townsend that he is trying to emulate Bale's breakout season by playing for himself and not for the team. Unfortunately for Andros Townsend, a lot of fans know this. This is something I hope Poch and coach out of him.

IIRC Townsend spent his development years as a left winger and didn't make the switch to playing on the right until his final loan season (or final two). I may be wrong here, but I don't think he's gonna be the wing/forward we want/need because he's not been trained to play that way until very recently. I can't claim to know much about his time prior to his loan spells, but did he ever play as a striker or #10??

A good comparison would be to look at someone like Pritchard. He's a right footer but has been playing on the left since before his loan spells, learning the positions he needs to take up to be most effective. His goal scoring record speaks for itself. He has been developed as a wide forward/inverted winger/wing forward and spent his loan spells developing further in that role.

Merson seems to be rising to Andros's bait from the other night:

Paul Merson challenged Andros Townsend to “win some medals” before calling him out after the Tottenham winger poked fun at the former Arsenal midfielder for questioning his England credentials.

Townsend scored a stunning 20-yard equaliser for England nine minutes after coming on against Italy at the Juventus Stadium to earn Roy Hodgson’s side a 1-1 friendly draw on Tuesday.

And within minutes of the final whistle he took to Twitter to address Merson, who had said the 23-year-old should be “nowhere near the [England] squad” after an inconsistent year at club level.

Townsend hit back by posting: “Not bad for a player that should be ‘nowhere near the squad’ ay @PaulMerse?”

Townsend’s father, Troy, got in on the act too, tweeting: “Oh ye of little faith £Merson Get in...........”

Merson was quiet on social media on Tuesday night but retorted in his Daily Star column. “I think he should concentrate on playing football, to be honest, and don’t worry about me,” he wrote.

“I’d also say win some medals first before you call it on. I have got no vendetta against him but I am not going to sit here and say he is top drawer.”

The 47-year-old insisted his comments had nothing to do with club rivalries. “He plays for England and I hope he does well,” Merson added. “Don’t think I sat there the other night and was upset for him when he scored. I was well pleased.

“But he’s just got back at Tottenham for the last seven or eight games. Where has he been all season?

And you can’t say I am anti-Tottenham. There is no bigger fan of Harry Kane than me. I think he is unbelievable. You can’t throw that Arsenal-Tottenham thing at me.”

Townsend had been waiting for a response from Merson. “I am eagerly awaiting it,” he said with a smile that did not disappear for one second during his round of post-match interviews.

“As soon as the squad was announced two weeks ago it has been going over in my head. He said it when the squad was announced – that I should be nowhere near the squad. “As soon as the goal went in, I was just desperate to get that tweet out.

“It didn’t really annoy me. It had kind of just given me the extra incentive to silence a few critics and hopefully I have done that as I always have done.”

What a twunt.

There's a grain of truth there though.. Townsend should focus on his football, his mentality is so fragile, forget about Merson and worry about scoring goals for Tottenham FFS.

Agreed. Remember he is only 23 and is facing a stern challenge of his mentality by getting slagged off from many sides. The positive in this is that he came on and scored a cracker (I know he also lost the ball and they nearly scored and most of his shots are off target and he's trying to be like Bale in his break-out season). Those who love to criticize might try and put themselves in his boots and guess how they might react at a (still) young age. After all, look how agitated many on here get when their opinions are challenged by others. And Merson should take pelters back when he gives them out. I didn't notice ANY OTHER England player scoring against Italy, just Townsend.

Merson is an idiot no doubt . Still think Townsend made a fool of himself though with his Twitter response, I mean he scored one goal in a friendly suddrnly he thinks he is Pele . Merson is right, Townsend shouldn't worry about Merson, he should buckle down an work on his game , if he has a good tournament or win something maybe then he could twitter sometginh like he did . I actually agree withMerson on this one, Townsend acted childish

Merson is an idiot no doubt . Still think Townsend made a fool of himself though with his Twitter response, I mean he scored one goal in a friendly suddrnly he thinks he is Pele . Merson is right, Townsend shouldn't worry about Merson, he should buckle down an work on his game , if he has a good tournament or win something maybe then he could twitter sometginh like he did . I actually agree with Merson on this one, Townsend acted childish

Not sure how what he said quite translates into that!

I say bravo Andros, now do the same for Tottenham.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England hero Andros Townsend has proved me wrong, says Paul Merson

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...townsend-has-proved-me-wrong-says-paul-merson

Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson has held his hands up and admitted he was wrong to question Andros Townsend’s place in Roy Hodgson’s England squad.

The Tottenham winger came off the bench to equalise with a thunderous strike in England’s 1-1 draw with Italy on Tuesday.

In his Sky Sports column, Merson had said “If Andros Townsend can get in then it opens it up for anybody” following Hodgson’s squad announcement last month.

"I’m genuinely pleased for him and fair play to him – it was a great goal.”
Paul Merson

However, the former Arsenal man says he’s pleased for Townsend, and admits he’s been proven wrong by the 23-year-old.

Merson told Sky Sports: “It’s just a matter of opinion, and my opinion was that he got pulled off after half an hour at Manchester United in front of Roy Hodgson, so he shouldn’t have been in the squad.

“But fair play to him, I only give my opinion, and sometimes I’m wrong, other times I’m right.

“When I’m wrong, I hold my hands up. I don’t have a problem with doing that - I’ll always be the first to admit when I’m wrong.

“It’s not as though I was watching hoping he wouldn’t score for England, I’m genuinely pleased for him and fair play to him – it was a great goal.

“But I don’t feel as though I need to defend myself – it’s my job to give my opinion – and I’m just glad people actually take notice of what I’m saying!”

Not sure how what he said quite translates into that!

I say bravo Andros, now do the same for Tottenham.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England hero Andros Townsend has proved me wrong, says Paul Merson

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...townsend-has-proved-me-wrong-says-paul-merson

Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson has held his hands up and admitted he was wrong to question Andros Townsend’s place in Roy Hodgson’s England squad.

The Tottenham winger came off the bench to equalise with a thunderous strike in England’s 1-1 draw with Italy on Tuesday.

In his Sky Sports column, Merson had said “If Andros Townsend can get in then it opens it up for anybody” following Hodgson’s squad announcement last month.

"I’m genuinely pleased for him and fair play to him – it was a great goal.”
Paul Merson

However, the former Arsenal man says he’s pleased for Townsend, and admits he’s been proven wrong by the 23-year-old.

Merson told Sky Sports: “It’s just a matter of opinion, and my opinion was that he got pulled off after half an hour at Manchester United in front of Roy Hodgson, so he shouldn’t have been in the squad.

“But fair play to him, I only give my opinion, and sometimes I’m wrong, other times I’m right.

“When I’m wrong, I hold my hands up. I don’t have a problem with doing that - I’ll always be the first to admit when I’m wrong.

“It’s not as though I was watching hoping he wouldn’t score for England, I’m genuinely pleased for him and fair play to him – it was a great goal.

“But I don’t feel as though I need to defend myself – it’s my job to give my opinion – and I’m just glad people actually take notice of what I’m saying!”

Fair play to Merse for this (if true). Ok, so he can be a bit of a twunt on Soccer Saturday, but he is entertaining and preferable to bloody Phil Pinocchio Thomson!
Merse is right, it's just about opinions. He made his, was proved wrong (in this game only it's worth adding. Townsend has a long way to go!!), and it's easy for Andros to retort. But now is the time time buckle down and show us you can do something against Burnley. Too many times he's just about scraped through on a decent performance in every 6 or 7 games. He needs to up his game.

Personally i would still prefer Lamela in there.

Excellent goal from Townsend. Much more like it compared to some of his shooting for us. One touch to create some space, then a well struck shot in balance. Kane would have been proud of that one.

Again fair play to Townsend, he's had his critics, at least some of the criticism has been fair, but he keeps working hard and he keeps trying. Still fairly young and learning...

Back