• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I think the only way I could answer that properly mate, is to ask who's available? I would absolutely sign Leighton Baines if we had a half a chance. Dream signing remains Thomas Muller LOL…I did say 'dream'…I think he'd be an excellent buy for us.

In fact just to play dream team, how would this look February 1?

Lloris

Walker
Dawson
Verts
Baines

Sandro

Townsend
Paulinho
Lamela

Muller

Soldado

subs: Goalie, Capoue, Defoe, Sigurdsson, Chiriches, Lennon, Kaboul

When attacking, I would love to see those FBs sent rampaging forwards with Townsend and Lamela tucking in to supply/create space, Muller playing off Soldado could be frightening as he is exceptional at bursting through from deeper positions and I think he and Soldado would have a lot of fun playing together. The bench is pretty damn strong too (I suppose you could argue Eriksen for Lennon 'maybe') and I think this side would be both hard working and creative. Personally, if we were in with a shout of getting someone like Muller (again 'tis fantasy I know) then I would sell Dembele if anyone was interested as I think Paulinho (long-term) is a player far more suited to what we need. It's a shame with Moussa, but he's lost his way somewhat (not necessarily because of him, it's as much to do with what he's being asked to do) but I do think that these instructions have come about simply because he doesn't show enough offensively. He has a great shot on him but absolutely hardly ever uses it!!!! Very frustrating!

Anyway, back to the real world...

Muller is Bayern's best player in my eyes. Don't see him ever leaving Munich tbh, anyone who lives in Munich or who has been there will tell you just how adored they are in Bavaria, apart from the people who hate them of course.

Luke Shaw is a more realistic option than Baines.

Apart from a left back I actually thinking throwing more money at the situation isn't the solution. We've got a bigger squad than last season, just need the manager to figure out his best 11, stick with it and utliise the squad to the best of his ability. I'm not complaining about the money we've spent because we all like a moan when we don't spend don't we? But in future I think it would be wiser to make one or two top quality signings rather than 7 good or very good signings.

^ hopefully that should be how things pan out from now on - i think looking at last seasons midfield/attack minus Bale :

-------Sandro Dembele
Lennon Sigurdsson Dempsey
----------Adebayor

should go some way to highlight how much work needed doing - asides from the base pair of Sandro/Dembele we were very short of quality AND cover - so whilst it's quite disruptive to bring in so many new players in one hit i think you can definitely make a case for it being needed, not ideal but hopefully looking past this season we will have benefited from the increase in numbers and quality all in one hit. should just be a case of tweaking here and there as the windows go by (assuming the players prove to be as good as their reputations suggest and the manager too for that matter)

It was a bit of a weak exercise wasn't it? Time to trap the ball and wait for 2 seconds and pick your spot. That will never happen in a game.

Would be more useful to have a defender or two pushing off the line to try and close you down, much more like a game situation.

Just a post training fluff exercise for spurs tv really.

yeah i don't think the media get access to proper training sessions

Honestly I don't think there has much difference in Dembeles performances this year and last. It's just because we're not scoring he's been made a spacegoat with a lot of fans. We need someone to blame

No, I'm not looking to blame him at all Diego, I think that's a bit unfair mate. I've simply said that IF 'the dream' was on, he is the player I would sacrifice given what we need and who offers what…

Just to be clear, I am not mad enough to believe that Muller is remotely available...

It was a bit of a weak exercise wasn't it? Time to trap the ball and wait for 2 seconds and pick your spot. That will never happen in a game.

Would be more useful to have a defender or two pushing off the line to try and close you down, much more like a game situation.
I see what you mean, but on the other hand, you want to give the attackers the chance to score in training so that they may gain some confidence from that.

Putting on some difficult exercise where they score one in ten, might not be that helpful.

***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

there are very few managers that get exactly what they want.....Wenger lost a best player almost on a yearly basis but he just got on with it. Other managers never had the opportunity to spend 150 mill in two years. Others lose a top player due to injury for a significant part of the season

sh!t happens, its how you deal with it that counts. I like that AVB doesnt moan or use as an excuse the fact that Bale has gone, or Modric last summer. He gets on with it to his credit.

ok, he lost a couple of top players, but he has been given a fantastic opportunity to buy a shedload of quality and now its up to him to put the pieces together. Nothing to cry about at all.

Wenger has a system in place (one that took a while to build properly even from the far superior base he had) that allows for losing a player or two and continuing to play the same way.

It's what managers who are capable of thinking and using foresight do. I for one am incredibly glad we finally have a manger who can do and is doing that - it's like a breath of fresh air.

Wenger has a system in place (one that took a while to build properly even from the far superior base he had) that allows for losing a player or two and continuing to play the same way.

It's what managers who are capable of thinking and using foresight do. I for one am incredibly glad we finally have a manger who can do and is doing that - it's like a breath of fresh air.
Graham had a system in place, too. It was very successful.

Can he really do that? We lose Lloris and we have Friedel who whilst still a good keeper, is old and slow and our game requires a quick keeper to enforce the high line we play.

We lose Soldado and we have to play Defoe?

Ok maybe he is building towards it, but at the moment I don't see this major step up in tactics and prepartation that so many claim we've got now. He may become a top manager one day, but I think we need to dial down the bigging up of AVB. Put it this way, if he's as great as many think he is, top 4 should be the requirement for this season.

Can he really do that? We lose Lloris and we have Friedel who whilst still a good keeper, is old and slow and our game requires a quick keeper to enforce the high line we play.

We lose Soldado and we have to play Defoe?

Ok maybe he is building towards it, but at the moment I don't see this major step up in tactics and prepartation that so many claim we've got now. He may become a top manager one day, but I think we need to dial down the bigging up of AVB. Put it this way, if he's as great as many think he is, top 4 should be the requirement for this season.

If he's as great as I think he is, challenging for the title should be the requirement when he's finished building.

It would be retarded and entirely obstructive of me to set arbitrary, irrelevant and sometimes unrealistic goals before the process is complete.

If he's as great as I think he is, challenging for the title should be the requirement when he's finished building.

It would be retarded and entirely obstructive of me to set arbitrary, irrelevant and sometimes unrealistic goals before the process is complete.

By the same token, how do we know when the process is nearing completion/completed? Isn't that a bit of an open ended ticket?

there are very few managers that get exactly what they want.....Wenger lost a best player almost on a yearly basis but he just got on with it. Other managers never had the opportunity to spend 150 mill in two years. Others lose a top player due to injury for a significant part of the season

sh!t happens, its how you deal with it that counts. I like that AVB doesnt moan or use as an excuse the fact that Bale has gone, or Modric last summer. He gets on with it to his credit.

ok, he lost a couple of top players, but he has been given a fantastic opportunity to buy a shedload of quality and now its up to him to put the pieces together. Nothing to cry about at all.

Very true. Unless you're Mourinho or Pep Guardiola. Even Real Madrid missed out on Neymar this summer.

I have asked this question before but do you think AVB will get the sack if we miss out on top 4 this season? Say we finish 6th or 7th?

I have asked this question before but do you think AVB will get the sack if we miss out on top 4 this season? Say we finish 6th or 7th?

Depends. If we end the season playing a recognisable, clinical entertaining style, if we've managed to scrape a trophy (any trophy, be it the COC or the Europa League) and if AVB commits to staying for another couple of years beyond his current three year contract, then he won't be sacked even if we finish outside the top 6.

If we finish outside the top four without a trophy but having played towards the end with an entertaining, clinical style that looks like it can take us places next season (i.e, if we show we've actually developed a system as opposed to mindlessly shooting from outside the box and waiting for penalties), then he'll probably stay on for another year, because of the promise of better things to come, and because during this lean phase we're going through net spending-wise (because of the stadium) Levy will probably seek to minimise costly disruptions/changes of direction.

If we finish outside the top four playing the same turgid style we do now, without a trophy to show for it, then Levy will probably boot him out much like Abramovich did in 2012. We cannot afford that level of dismal failure given the extent to which we've backed him and the performances of his competitors (Rodgers and co.).

How long does he need? He's coming up to a season and a half, having spent around £165m on 15 players. It's not arbitrary, irrelevant or unrealistic to be expecting results. It's not working, nor is there any sign of it even starting to work.
Finishing 4th wasn't good enough for the last manager, despite doing that on a fraction of the budget and an inferior squad to what AVB has to work with.
CL qualification is a minimum requirement this season, if we don't achieve that AVB should be offering his resignation.

How long does he need? He's coming up to a season and a half, having spent around £165m on 15 players. It's not arbitrary, irrelevant or unrealistic to be expecting results. It's not working, nor is there any sign of it even starting to work.
Finishing 4th wasn't good enough for the last manager, despite doing that on a fraction of the budget and an inferior squad to what AVB has to work with.
CL qualification is a minimum requirement this season, if we don't achieve that AVB should be offering his resignation.

As long as it takes.

Back