• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

And therein lies the problem. Giving opponents a clear run and jump at a corner or free kick is NEVER a good idea.

That's an absolute statement that's just not supported by facts.

Yes, allowing opponents a clear run and jump is one of the downsides to a zonal marking system. But there are also downsides to a man marking system. For example since your biggest strongest players will be marking their biggest strongest players they will have to follow them around. That means that you can easily end up with some of your smaller weaker players marking in the most dangerous areas. For zonal marking your biggest strongest players will be in the most dangerous areas.

Point being that there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I don't think any of those disadvantages are big enough to warrant a statement like the one you make.

Did you see the stats I posted earlier in this thread?

As someone on here said, if that had been made about Rodgers, Pardew or even Alerdyce, we would have been rolling around calling their fans delusional.

but I don't give a fook about other fans reading this forum/thread and thinking I am delusional... nor do I search other fans forums with the intention of finding something which I think is delusional.......

At Anfield they have massive flags with Rodgers face on it..... Emirates Marketing Project had a song for Mancini............

If your worried about other fans taking the tinkle then its probably not a good idea supporting spurs.... considering the luck we get.

I am all for keeping the digs at srsenal under control but this song is harmless in my opinion.......I don't think its delusional to believe in your manager.

Yes, allowing opponents a clear run and jump is one of the downsides to a zonal marking system. But there are also downsides to a man marking system. For example since your biggest strongest players will be marking their biggest strongest players they will have to follow them around. That means that you can easily end up with some of your smaller weaker players marking in the most dangerous areas. For zonal marking your biggest strongest players will be in the most dangerous areas.

Point being that there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I don't think any of those disadvantages are big enough to warrant a statement like the one you make.

I think there is a simple argument as well where with man to man you are watching a player and not the ball!!!!!

we do need to work on defending corners though.

But you have just agreed with my "absolute statement" that it is never a good idea to give an opponent a clear running jump.

While Liverpool may have had limited success employing a zonal system, it really doesn't prove that this system is better than man to man marking. My personal view is that we would be mad to opt for zonal marking. What other top teams use it?

But you have just agreed with my "absolute statement" that it is never a good idea to give an opponent a clear running jump.

While Liverpool may have had limited success employing a zonal system, it really doesn't prove that this system is better than man to man marking. My personal view is that we would be mad to opt for zonal marking. What other top teams use it?

Can't we combine zonal and man-marking?

A man on each post, 2 strong players patrolling a zone at each end of the six yard box and everybody else picking up a man.

Or something like that...

"(I turned the offers down) because this is my first opportunity to start a second year in the same club," Villas-Boas said at the official Premier League launch at a south London school yesterday.

"I think that can give me an advantage and it is something I want to try.

"I have been very welcomed, I have an excellent group of players, and the conditions and structures we have at Tottenham are fantastic and the arrival of Franco takes us to another level so these are things I had to measure.

"I have great respect for the club and for (chairman) Daniel (Levy) and these are the reasons the couple of clubs that came knocking I told them that I wasn't interested."

No, I agreed that allowing opponents a clear run and jump is one of the downsides to a zonal marking system. If we can't agree that there are disadvantages and advantages to both systems and that allowing a clear run and jump is a pro for one and con for the other, but not on it's own a basis for making a decision then there's not much to discuss.

Limited success? That's how you would describe those stats?

Those stats on their own obviously can't prove that it's a better system to use and I haven't claimed that, but I think it at least presents a reasonable case that we should move past simplistic absolute statements describing why zonal marking is clearly and obviously inferior. If it really was a clearly inferior system then how do you explain those stats?

Zonal marking doesn't mean leaving players unmarked, you're supposed to pick up those that come into your zone, especially when close to goal. The fact that some end up ball watching isn't the system's fault, it's that player not doing his job correctly.

The main purpose of zonal marking is to avoid having defensive players pulled out of position, though you can get outnumbered in areas.

The proof will be in the way we play. If AVB opts for the zonal system, we will see how successful that is at the end of the season. For me, it will be a recipe for disaster, but lets judge it by results.

Can't we combine zonal and man-marking?

A man on each post, 2 strong players patrolling a zone at each end of the six yard box and everybody else picking up a man.

Or something like that...

You would think that AVB would have something like that the way he seems to prepare for each individual match with different, specific tactics. Looking at their most dangerous player at receiving set pieces and targeting them for man marking whilst keeping a core of zonal.

Or are you just encouraging confusion and collisions? :-k

You would think that AVB would have something like that the way he seems to prepare for each individual match with different, specific tactics. Looking at their most dangerous player at receiving set pieces and targeting them for man marking whilst keeping a core of zonal.

Or are you just encouraging confusion and collisions? :-k

Or.........we could say that we are likely to have lots of height in the team, so perhaps we should just go man-to-man marking since it doesn't matter who gets pulled out of whatever zone, the players we have in the box will all be pretty strong in the air and able to head the ball away.

I have faith in AVB and the coaches to sort it, as they did with the late goal situation last season.

nice article from the mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-future-confident-andre-villas-boas-2172446

“So our idea is to build a team that has two players, three in the goalkeeper’s case, per position. That allows us to keep the same quality without the squad dropping too many levels in terms of consistency for the whole season.

“This is why we have been very, very active. This is why the team we are trying to put together already looks very, very strong.

“If we manage to complete all the things we have in mind – our objective is to get into the Champions League and to establish ourselves in the top four.

“Regarding the league, we won’t change our ambitions and our speech. But if we can make all of the deals that we have planned for the remaining weeks, hopefully we can threaten, not in the league but in the other trophies.”

Tottenham missed out on the Champions League on the final day of last season, but Villas-Boas has clearly moved on from that disappointment.

It is an ambitious approach, and shows that finishing outside the top four does not mean you cannot attract big players.

Villas-Boas added: “I feel refreshed to start. There are still a couple of things to do regarding the team, so we are not the finished product yet.

“It will probably take us to the last day of the transfer window to complete everything we want to achieve for the season.

me too, Andre, me too.

André Villas-Boas says he rejected offers to manage elsewhere this season as he was committed to his project at Tottenham Hotspur and determined to enjoy a degree of longevity at a club for the first time.

The Portuguese did not enter a second season at Academica, Porto or Chelsea, his previous managerial postings, and, when Paris Saint-Germain made a play for him in June, he had the opportunity to move yet again. He had been linked to Real Madrid earlier in the year but, having arrived at White Hart Lane last summer, he was eager to build on his early work at the club.

Villas-Boas is delighted with the appointment of Franco Baldini as Tottenham's new technical director and he is working with him and the chairman, Daniel Levy, to improve a squad that finished fifth last season, with a club record Premier League points tally.

"I stayed because it's my first opportunity to start a second year in the same club," Villas-Boas said. "I think that can give me an advantage and is something I want to try. I have been welcomed, I have an excellent group of players and the conditions and structures we have at Tottenham are fantastic.

"The arrival of Franco takes us to another level so these are things I had to measure. I have great respect for the club and for Daniel, and these are the reasons I told the couple of clubs that came knocking that I wasn't interested. How close did I get with them? There was a decision to be made."

Villas-Boas told Levy shortly after his appointment that he wanted a technical director to make the club slicker operators on the transfer market. Tottenham have gained a reputation for leaving their business late and it is clear that Villas-Boas has wanted deals to happen much earlier. The club have spent £59.5m on Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Nacer Chadli and Etienne Capoue but there remains the probability that they will be active until the final day of the window.

"Franco's addition to Tottenham will be a major, major step forward and I think we've been seeing the impact of that already," Villas-Boas said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/16/andre-villas-boas-tottenham

wonder why Levy hasnt offered AVB an extension to his contract

also shows that those rumours about job offers from other clubs during the summer were true

wonder why Levy hasnt offered AVB an extension to his contract

also shows that those rumours about job offers from other clubs during the summer were true

the manager shortlist - well is pretty short to begin with. say a club like real madrid. the obvious suspects will always come to mind, and mind you AVB's done well in only his first season us, to prove the doubters wrong, and to get into the frame.

Lets have a stab at the attendance today

PA Announcer - 60,010

Reality - 55,000

Back