• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

results A :eek:

would give that a C myself - some very poor results, some fantastic results but overall more or less the same as the previous season

Players "B"
Press "A"
Club "A"
Results "C"
Style "C"

Overall B-/C+

One great result against Manure doesnt make up for the draws at home against the likes of WBA/Norwich and loss against Wigan. This is why I never understood peoples fascination with beating the sky four when id rather get an extra 7 points than 3 points against manure.

Players "B"
Press "A"
Club "A"
Results "C"
Style "C"

Overall B-/C+

One great result against Manure doesnt make up for the draws at home against the likes of WBA/Norwich and loss against Wigan. This is why I never understood peoples fascination with beating the sky four when id rather get an extra 7 points than 3 points against manure.

disagree.. after all those years of never getting anything there that win was important for the club. Normally I'd agree with you that it doesn't matter where you win and it's the points that matter but this one was special IMHO. Or as the Joker would say "Its not about the points... it's about sending a message"!

disagree.. after all those years of never getting anything there that win was important for the club. Normally I'd agree with you that it doesn't matter where you win and it's the points that matter but this one was special IMHO. Or as the Joker would say "Its not about the points... it's about sending a message"!

I dont think it sent any message. That result in the grand scheme of things has now been forgotten especially as we have dropped points against sides that one would expect us to beat at home.

7 points is better than 3 and 7 points would have had us comfortably in top four - thats a stronger message than any 3 points.

overall I would say A minus for club and AVB

We're an A minus club in terms of English football, (about 5th/6th in the country out of hundreds of professional and near professional clubs) and AVB has us performing at that level.

I dont think it sent any message. That result in the grand scheme of things has now been forgotten especially as we have dropped points against sides that one would expect us to beat at home.

7 points is better than 3 and 7 points would have had us comfortably in top four - thats a stronger message than any 3 points.

You have a good point ( see what i did there :)) but the result at O/T was major, it will enable players to believe that they can beat the best and will be a turning point ( pretty much the same as when we beat Chelski a couple of seasons back)

I haven't forgotten the Utd result, it was a massive, massive win, probably the best in our Prem history leaving aside the context of Crouch's winner at City, etc

You have a good point ( see what i did there :)) but the result at O/T was major, it will enable players to believe that they can beat the best and will be a turning point ( pretty much the same as when we beat Chelski a couple of seasons back)

Dont worry your point never gone unnoticed haha

But has it enabled the players to believe they could beat the best? Dont forget a lot of those players also played against the likes of inter or Milan and beaten those alongside the likes of Chelscum and Arse in the past.

My point was that there is no point in focussing on beating the best if you are still dropping significant points against the so called inferior teams (especially at home).

JP - forgotten in terms of the impact it has for future games. I dont think the players are currently thinking hey we beat Manure so we can beat anyone. Its out of our systems. Maybe its just me but I would rather have had those extra points and lost to Manure. Beating the sky four is a bonus for us but beating those inferior sides will have had us in top four quite comfortably.

Don't worry your point never gone unnoticed haha

But has it enabled the players to believe they could beat the best? Don't forget a lot of those players also played against the likes of inter or Milan and beaten those alongside the likes of Chelscum and Arse in the past.

My point was that there is no point in focussing on beating the best if you are still dropping significant points against the so called inferior teams (especially at home).

JP - forgotten in terms of the impact it has for future games. I don't think the players are currently thinking hey we beat Manure so we can beat anyone. Its out of our systems. Maybe its just me but I would rather have had those extra points and lost to Manure. Beating the sky four is a bonus for us but beating those inferior sides will have had us in top four quite comfortably.

There is a difference going out onto the field knowing that you can and have beaten the best, i honestly believe that for a while now that have been times when the players have felt they are going to lose at O/T even before they get there ( like a lot of fans have)

How many times have we collapsed against them from good positions because they have got back into the game( i except that it also has a lot to do with the mentality and strength of the Utd players), the win at Utd was massive and we will/are much better for it.

don't think it sent a message it was 1 lucky win in that respect the same as Blackburn did last season . Any side in the prem can win or lose to any other side on a given day the point is could we consistently expect to win those games I think the answer is the expectation of winning is no greater than before aside from the small psychological boost.

nice to break the duck though - look at how we went on to perform against Chelsea and Arsenal after beating them for the first time under Jol and Harry

i think these records do have an effect the longer they go on, getting that first win may not have much implication for the immediate future but going in to the same fixtures in the following seasons gives us more belief.

Chelsea away and United at home i believe are the only outstanding ones ?

Last edited:
don't think it sent a message it was 1 lucky win in that respect the same as Blackburn did last season . Any side in the prem can win or lose to any other side on a given day the point is could we consistently expect to win those games I think the answer is the expectation of winning is no greater than before aside from the small psychological boost.

i understand what you are getting at, however our first win in 20 odd years does send a message out ( especially to the players who have achieved that win)

FM gone wild again as is usual on this board.

So for the people who rate AVB's results a C (almost a failing grade), a real question.

- What did you realistically expect? what would have been a B+ result at this point?

So for the people who rate AVB's results a C (almost a failing grade), a real question.

- What did you realistically expect? what would have been a B+ result at this point?

looking purely at the results - we have had some great, some awful and some that are expected so overall the results have been about average.

that's not to say overall i think we are doing averagely, far from it - i think we have been doing well, all things considered but that doesn't mean the results have been fantastic

2 wins from Wigan, Stoke, Norwich and WBA would have got him a B+ from me.

2 wins from those 4 plus a draw vs Everton would have probably stretched it to a A-.

I dont play FM but i do know that those results against WBA, Norwich, Wigan were not good enough at all especially as they were at HOME. Two of them were from winning positions. Realistically - I would have expected what you would have expected at least an extra five points.

2 wins from Wigan, Stoke, Norwich and WBA would have got him a B+ from me.

2 wins from those 4 plus a draw vs Everton would have probably stretched it to a A-.

Scary to think we've not beaten Norwich, West Brom, Wigan or Stoke at home. However we are still joint 4th. Every side has been shocking this year.

Definitely need to improve, but we are remarkably well in the hunt for a place in the top4.

Anything is possible still. With regards to AVB, for a team who lost King, Modric and Van der Vaart (and Parker, Kaboul, Ekotto) we have understandably struggled to show the same swagger we displayed early last season. But by the same token we struggled with the last part of the season with those players.

I am still behind AVB and it is important we give him time and the season at least. Where he has impressed me is in his preparation. He has shown a lot of class off the field too, and I desperately would like him to be successful at Spurs. I want a manager who is meticulous in his approach and ultimately is justified in this approach through results. It does worry me that we haven't looked like beating the aforementioned clubs despite being at home. Yes he could have come across as more tactically astute at times but he isn't showing the same supposed stubbornness that he had allegedly at Chelsea. Also his patience with players and willingness to stick by the likes of Dempsey in the face of much persecution deserves praise.

Back