• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

It's quite typical that players hit the top form as soon as they have left Spurs. :rolleyes:

Has Lennon hit top form? I have only seen him a little bit for Everton, but he didn't particularly impress. 5 starts, 2 sub appearances, one goal, no assists.

On the other hand, what is typical is people overreacting to a single incident.

Has Lennon hit top form? I have only seen him a little bit for Everton, but he didn't particularly impress. 5 starts, 2 sub appearances, one goal, no assists.

This. He got a penalty against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and he scored against QPR. Woohoo!

He's gotten better with each game (as Lennon tends to do when coming off a layoff)

I don't think he's hit top form but last game he attacked through the middle, he scored the goal and was a workhorse defensively.

Like most people, Lennon to me is about as good a #2 RW as we are likely to get, right now cost us nothing and the two players in the spot can't even justify being selected. Really must be something I'm not seeing.

He's gotten better with each game (as Lennon tends to do when coming off a layoff)

I don't think he's hit top form but last game he attacked through the middle, he scored the goal and was a workhorse defensively.

Like most people, Lennon to me is about as good a #2 RW as we are likely to get, right now cost us nothing and the two players in the spot can't even justify being selected. Really must be something I'm not seeing.

Don't disagree with any of that. I continue to think that he didn't respond particularly well to Pochettino's demands and so was far away from the starting 11 and thus allowed to leave on a loan as a permanent deal couldn't be agreed. Seems to me the most likely explanation.

I think someone in this or another thread mentioned that Lennon had drink issues. Perhaps that coupled with his stagnation and apparently (according to ITK) disagreeing openly with Poch that the first Chelski goal at the bridge was down to him not tracking Hazard fully, is the reason he has left.

No doubt he also was biding his time for a nice testimonial as well.

Personally, Lennon had been flattering to deceive for a long time and is no big loss, even if Townsend and Lamela aren't exactly pulling up trees right now. Sometimes you have to think of the long game from a managerial point of view

I think someone in this or another thread mentioned that Lennon had drink issues. Perhaps that coupled with his stagnation and apparently (according to ITK) disagreeing openly with Poch that the first Chelski goal at the bridge was down to him not tracking Hazard fully, is the reason he has left.

Personally, Lennon had been flattering to deceive for a long time and is no big loss, even if Townsend and Lamela aren't exactly pulling up trees right now. Sometimes you have to think of the long game from a managerial point of view

Theory is fine ... and in theory the long game makes sense.

The real question is, would Lennon as alternative to Lamela/Townsend have gained us anything? 1 or 2 better results due to defensive work, or the odd goal/assist?

Trust in Poch, but really wonder if Lennon would have given us a short term gain, margins are so small, what will 3 points difference do at end of season

Theory is fine ... and in theory the long game makes sense.

The real question is, would Lennon as alternative to Lamela/Townsend have gained us anything? 1 or 2 better results due to defensive work, or the odd goal/assist?

Trust in Poch, but really wonder if Lennon would have given us a short term gain, margins are so small, what will 3 points difference do at end of season

But that's only looking at the potential upside of keeping him in the squad and using him...

If it's true that he didn't respond well to Pochettino the potential downsides to keeping and playing him somewhat regularly this season could be significantly greater than that.

Remember too that it's not like Pochettino hasn't given most of our players a fair chance. Kaboul, Capoue and Ade were kept in the starting 11 much longer than most fans wanted. Chiriches, Paulinho and even Adebayor have been given game time long after most fans thought their days were numbered. And that's just the more extreme and obvious players. He hasn't been like AVB who seemingly got into conflicts with players without even giving them a real chance both at Chelsea and for us. He's actually given players a chance to prove themselves, and often second and third chances to redeem themselves.

Assuming that Pochettino felt it was the right decision for the team to let Lennon leave on a loan deal in January I find it extremely difficult to see what convincing arguments that could be made against that from the outside.

Apparently once he was shown the video he agreed with Poch and was also happy with his methods once he got used to them.

I don't begrudge him a testimonial, been a good servant for us. Never slagged us off or anything, I know he likes to gangsta it up a little but don't see him mouthing off in the press or staggering out of clubs (or not that I've seen). More things like the cigar pic give him a certain image which he's been unable to shake off.

Apparently once he was shown the video he agreed with Poch and was also happy with his methods once he got used to them.

I don't begrudge him a testimonial, been a good servant for us. Never slagged us off or anything, I know he likes to gangsta it up a little but don't see him mouthing off in the press or staggering out of clubs (or not that I've seen). More things like the cigar pic give him a certain image which he's been unable to shake off.

Not going to name names but I talk to a famous Spurs player from the seventies quite regularly, he does hospitality now, he slagged off Lennons attitude in general about four years ago and has not stopped moaning about him since, there is more but he told me in confidence, jumped up "billy big gonad*s" is what he calls him, I personally am disappointed that he has not progressed much, I thought he was going to be a lot better.

Not going to name names but I talk to a famous Spurs player from the seventies quite regularly, he does hospitality now, he slagged off Lennons attitude in general about four years ago and has not stopped moaning about him since, there is more but he told me in confidence, jumped up "billy big cobblers" is what he calls him, I personally am disappointed that he has not progressed much, I thought he was going to be a lot better.

The last of our spice boys

The last of our spice boys

I thought he was going to turn out as one of our greats, he should be unplayable, also I know a guy that took training of the England squad and he reckoned Lennon would not train if he broke a fingernail,
On the plus side my son met him on holiday and he played beach football and came across as ok.

Not going to name names but I talk to a famous Spurs player from the seventies quite regularly, he does hospitality now, he slagged off Lennons attitude in general about four years ago and has not stopped moaning about him since, there is more but he told me in confidence, jumped up "billy big cobblers" is what he calls him, I personally am disappointed that he has not progressed much, I thought he was going to be a lot better.

Martin Peters? The man ahead of his time.

Twas not Peters, I know I am being a arse but don't want to say too much, there was an official complaint made about Lennons attitude so I will leave it there, my son and a group of friends met up with Lennon and a few lads on holiday and Lennon and his mates were fine, played beach football and keepie uppie, he came across as quiet and one of the lads.

PS
Peters was a fantastic player for us we let him leave far too early, one season he scored 22 goals from midfield, I always thought that he was the catalyst of the early seventies side.

Still cannot believe that tiny club allowed Peters to come to us in his pomp in part exchange for Greavsie, who was clearly finished. Still wonder at the stupidity of that decision by the Spammers.

Back