• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A Case For The Defence

Gordon Strachan made a very valid and interesting comment about out system this season. We attack as a unit which means if be lose it we still have players there to "mop up"

Whereas as the counter attaching game is one we played in the last that f we didn't take the chance we were left with more space behind our attackers for the opposition to capitalise on

It's certainly more of a team thing now and about the system which is great and leaves a longer term effect when players are injured

Gordon Strachan made a very valid and interesting comment about out system this season. We attack as a unit which means if be lose it we still have players there to "mop up"

Whereas as the counter attaching game is one we played in the last that f we didn't take the chance we were left with more space behind our attackers for the opposition to capitalise on

It's certainly more of a team thing now and about the system which is great and leaves a longer term effect when players are injured

Yes, I almost fell off my sofa as Strachan said something interesting!

We used to stretch the game with Bale and Lennon and leave ourselves way more exposed. Nowadays we build more methodically and we also push up from the back with a highline, compressing the game, with Lloris sweeping. Also Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho are in a different class to Parker, Thudd, Livermore etc.

Hmmmm...but does this mean in some cases a quick cute directed ball over the top or into space leaves us exposed if the opposition has good runners? I'm thinking of the game against Arsenal in particular...

Hmmmm...but does this mean in some cases a quick cute directed ball over the top or into space leaves us exposed if the opposition has good runners? I'm thinking of the game against Arsenal in particular...

of course, but with the pace of Walker and Rose as well as Lloris, we deal with it well.

Yes, we could also see that today against Anzhi in the first half.

Part of the cost of the high pressing and trying to win the ball back quickly when we lose it.

of course, but with the pace of Walker and Rose as well as Lloris, we deal with it well.

I fear that the way Chelski and Torres in particular targeted Dawson through the centre will be picked up by other teams. I wonder if we could be devastated by Emirates Marketing Project in the same way Manure were...

Chelsea tried that a lot in the first half and they have better players than most to ankle that pass. You need a bloody fast froward and a quarter back style player to make it work with Lloris coming off his line for everything.

Arsenal cut through us y playing fast passes and turning our defence around a lot. Bug again that from wouldn't have been there if they hadn't taken the lead as we wouldn't have committed and we did play the wrong formation in that game.

I fear that the way Chelski and Torres in particular targeted Dawson through the centre will be picked up by other teams. I wonder if we could be devastated by Emirates Marketing Project in the same way Manure were...

Dawson does appear to be the weak link in the system as he is not blessed with great pace and is the least competent passer (or dribbler for that matter) out of our current set of CBs which is something the top teams might be able to exploit. Gutting that Kaboul picked up yet another injury today, hopefully Chiriches will prove to be as good as Vertonghen once he's settled.

Chelsea tried that a lot in the first half and they have better players than most to ankle that pass. You need a bloody fast froward and a quarter back style player to make it work with Lloris coming off his line for everything.

Arsenal cut through us y playing fast passes and turning our defence around a lot. Bug again that from wouldn't have been there if they hadn't taken the lead as we wouldn't have committed and we did play the wrong formation in that game.

That's the gist of it for me. The teams that have created a significant amount of chances against us have been very good sides. Very good sides will for the most part create some good chances in their games. We haven't sat back Mourinho at Trafford style in those games so regardless of our approach there was always going to be some chances.

What a difference a week makes... :-k

Twitter / experimental361: Latest Premier League defence graphic: @SouthamptonFC the most resilient, @MCFC allow the fewest shots at their goal
BWjIud3CUAIO1sr.png:large

The goalless draw at Goodison Park on Sunday represented a seventh clean sheet in our opening 10 matches in the Premier League – the first time we’ve achieved that feat in the club’s history.

It was also the 13th clean sheet in 17 matches in all competitions so far this term.

“The team is bonding well defensively, we've very organised and do not allow a lot of chances to be created against us,” said Andre. “That is very good for us.

“We also want to be a bit more deadly in situations where we can create a goal.

“We’ve played at Cardiff, Everton, Villa, all difficult away games, and we keep getting points from these fixtures.

"It was a good point in the end. We could have gone second but, considering Everton's aspirations, it was important to get a point.

“It was also important for us to stay in touch with the group at the top."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/praise-for-defence-051113/

Back