• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A Case For The Defence

NaijaSpurs

Rafael Van Der Vaart
I just love clean sheets :)

Five league matches just one goal conceded. Also yet to concede in 3 European matches, long may it continue

Absolutely brilliant that we have conceded so few. Today we were lucky, but all teams need luck. I felt the back 4 and the keeper had a clanger in them at any moment today.

Brilliant achievement still

Yeh, was about to mention what diego just said. We looked shaky today, and relied on some glaring misses by Gunnarsson and Odemwingie to escape unscathed. Lloris seems to be having a bit of a mini-wobble, and Naughton doesn't look comfortable at left-back.

Still, we're all allowed occasional wobbles, and the same should be true of Premier League players. We got away with it today, so no harm done.

For as good as the scoresheet shows they have been I haven't felt nearly as confident while watching them.

I don't think any of our defenders have been that great individually this season but as a team (not just the defenders) we allow for very little chances to be created against us. That's down to the system we play.

So much for that then.
There was a similar thread last season praising our defence stats and we started conceding straight after it.

I don't think any of our defenders have been that great individually this season but as a team (not just the defenders) we allow for very little chances to be created against us. That's down to the system we play.

Yep. Think there was a stat before this weekend saying we have the most shots in the league and conceded the fewest. I feel like our midfield simply choke and monopolise possession in every game so far. Brilliant start to the season.

We have got quite good at scrambling possession back before an opponent can advance far enough towards our goal to cause a problem, but on the other side of the coin, we have tended to necessitate that by conceding possession too cheaply too often with a slack pass. My fond hope is that we can improve on the latter, but still retain the ability to do the former.

Since Steven Nzonzi scored for Stoke City on 12th May, Spurs have only conceded one goal in 897 minutes of competitive football.

Yeh, was about to mention what diego just said. We looked shaky today, and relied on some glaring misses by Gunnarsson and Odemwingie to escape unscathed. Lloris seems to be having a bit of a mini-wobble, and Naughton doesn't look comfortable at left-back.

Still, we're all allowed occasional wobbles, and the same should be true of Premier League players. We got away with it today, so no harm done.

IIRC (not sure I do, I wasn't exactly mentally stable during the game) almost all the chances Cardiff had we presented to them in one way or another. Most clearly by giving the ball away, poor clearances etc.

Naughton (or 2nd or 3rd choice left back, partly playing out of position) was mainly to blame. But there were a couple of other mistakes too. Overall, when actually defending though I thought we looked very solid. Our central midfield was dominant. For long periods we just kept winning the ball back again and again.

We didn't rely on being lucky nearly as much as they relied on being lucky for the final score to be "just" 0-1.

Chiriches must be wondering if he'll get a chance...

He will almost certainly get his chance against Villa, then he will get more games in the EL.

He's come from a much smaller league into a very good side in a position where we have several very good players including our captain and a player that got into team of the season last year.

I'm quite sure he knows he'll have to be a bit patient, he shouldn't be surprised.

I remember Harry saying something along the lines of that tactics are a minor part of football and the majority of a game is won by who has the best players on the pitch. I tend to agree with him to an extent, because while I do see value in having a "system", you need the right players to play it. No matter what Brendan Rodgers or AVB at Chelsea and the start of last season may have thought, a "system" won't get results on its own, it can actually be detrimental to your chances of success.

Last season, we implemented the high line and the high pressing game. Bizarrely, AVB tried playing these tactics with Friedel and Gallas in the side and we conceded a lot of poor goals in the early part of the season. Once we'd brought in Lloris and Dawson, things improved massively until Sandro's injury. Sandro was great at not only the pressing aspect, but also getting back and covering when we were being hit on a counter attack. They say attack is the best form of defence, and by using these tactics we were able to force the play into the opposition half and away from our goal.

Now, I feel we have the players to effectively employ these kinds of tactics. Sandro is coming back to fitness, but we also have replaced Parker and Huddlestone with Paulinho and Capoue, meaning we have a faster, more physical presence in the middle of the pitch to hassle the opposition off the ball and press them back into their own half. We can physically dominate most teams and make it difficult for them to get near our goal. The improved physical presence has also meant we are conceding less from set-pieces, which became a big problem particularly in the final third of last season.

But crucially, I think another major improvement to our defence has been that we retain possession far better now. Parker could do that swivel and pass sideways/backwards thing, and Huddlestone could spray long passes out, but having the likes of Eriksen and Paulinho involved has meant we are far greater at moving the ball around quickly and effectively. Here is our possession % in the last few games:

Cardiff - 63%
Tromso - 59%
Norwich - 68%
Arsenal - 57%
Tiblisi (H) - 64%
Tiblisi (A) - 56%
Crystal Palace - 53%

Only in one game, against Swansea, the team who play arguably the most patient and possession based football in the league, did we have less possession than the opposition, even then it was 49%. It's quite simple, if the opposition can't get the ball off you, they can't score!

And on that last point, the good news is, as we implement Chiriches/Kaboul back into the side and cut out Dawson's hoofs, we are going to get even better at that.

So we have a defence that has conceded one goal all season, and you want to change it?

Has it been the same set of players playing the whole time? Could have sworn Kaboul has been involved in four of those clean sheets.

Dawson also lost Giroud for the only goal we have conceded this season. When he's fully fit I don't think anyone would argue that Kaboul shouldn't be starting, no?

Strongly think our midfield has contributed as SUIYHA wrote above. Back 5 hasn't changed much in terms of personnel

Strongly think our midfield has contributed as SUIYHA wrote above. Back 5 hasn't changed much in terms of personnel

Well it's an old cliche but true nevertheless that the best form of defence is attack, and no team in the Premier League has done more attacking this season than Spurs.

Then you have our tigerish midfield, who have fought hard for the ball when we're not in possession.

After that, you have our defenders who have acquitted themselves very well so far this season.

And once you've got past all those hurdles, you still have to face Hugo Lloris who is not only arguably the best goalkeeper in the Premier League but plays as an extra sweeper too.

Not really surprising that we've only conceded just once this season.

Last edited:
Back