• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

5 Best ... And 5 "Worst" ...in our current squad

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
I was thinking about the Southampton situation, and it got me mulling over who people think are the five best players and the five worst players in our squad. To define best and worst in this context, I would like to know others opinions of those they consider are indispensable and core to the team ....and those they would be least disappointed if they left the club and wouldn't mind being sold.

Given that I suspect Lloris would be on everyone's best list, I am only interested in people's views on outfield players. Here are my lists. I have to admit that I found both lists very difficult to compile - especially the Best list.

Best

Eriksen
Verts
Walker
Lamela
Dyer

Worst

Chiriches
Paulinho
Ade
Lennon
Dembele

Please don't just criticise my "teams" but put forward your own. I don't think you will find it that easy as so many are "much of a muchness". I would be delighted if we replaced those on the worst list with players better than those on the best list, then we really would have a decent squad unlike the mediocre one we have now. Especially if we bought players with real hunger and fighting spirit - a mental quality so lacking in the current squad - amply epitomised by how difficult it proved to be to select a captain, with so few obvious candidates in the team.

Onwards and upwards. Over to you.

Best:

Walker
Soldado
Eriksen
Chadli
Capoue

Worst:

Townsend
Chiriches
Dembele
Ade
Vertonghen

Don't understand why Ade is in your worst when he is our best striker? If you talk about hunger and work rate then he still is far better than soldado.

In terms of ability and importance to us doing well....

Best.

Walker
Eriksen
Vertonghen (when he isn't sulking)
Ade
Chadli

Worst.

Paulinho
Soldado
Chiriches
Lennon
Kaboul

Tbf we could sell all of our players and bar one or two I would not shed a tear over any of them. They come across as largely disinterested, arrogant so and so's.

Quicker we face up to the fact that 2013 was the final nail in our coffin for total mismanagement of a great 5 years the better. Have a radical clear out and start again with an emphasis on youth. That way I can take finishing 8th for a season while we look to build something. Why we play paulinho right wing in Europa baffles me, give a kid some sort of chance.

Good
Eriksen
Chadli
Vertonghen

Worst
Adebayor
Kaboul
Chriches
Lennon
Soldado

Frankly, I find most of the players in " worst" category and can't find many "best" players.

Score penalties.

It's unfortunate that he missed one in arguably his best game for the club.

I like Soldado, but what has he done to be one of the 5 best players at our club!

For me it's not about all time achievements, but who I consider MUST STARTS and who should be kept as far away from the team as possible.

Think Kane and Mason should be starting as well, but that's more about seeing what they can do.

Best

Walker
Eriksen
Verts
Lamela
Dier

Worst

Paulinho
Chiriches
Lennon
Soldado
Adebayor

The worst five I have picked because they are consistently playing far below what they are capable of, whilst players like Naughton don't have as high a ceiling and are more rotation backup.

Last edited:
My current 'faves' are Mason and Lloris. Mason has been a real positive breakthough this season.

I don't want to talk about 'worst' but I wouldn't play Vlad ATM, even v Brighton. I've lost all confidence in him.

Best

1) Lloris
2) Verts
3) Eriksen
4) Walker
5) Honourable mentions to Chadli, Capoue, Mason, Kane and Dier, but they need to perform at their current levels for longer

Worst

1) Dembele
2) Paulinho
3) Lennon
4) Chiriches
5) Kaboul

Best
Lloris
Eriksen

After that there's a large gap

Chadli
Vertonghen

:( coming to a stumbling block her shows the lack of our quality, we're living off reputation if we think that we 'deserve' a place in the top 4. To add a fifth, I would name either Soldado or Adebayor but both seem to struggle regularly finding the back of the net.

Worst

Townsend
Friedel - good as an ambassador but has no future in the playing side
Kaboul - he would be the first gone
Chiriches
Davies - might be worth persisting with but fear he is a Bentley in the making...

I have to admit that the negativity in this thread is incredible. Yes, we've had a patchy start to the season, but it's not been all bad.
We've played eight league games and won four. We've also played at Arsenal, at City, at home to Liverpool, and at home to high flying Southampton. Arsenal and City are two of the three hardest trips we'll make this year, and though we only picked up one point in those matches, I think we acquitted ourselves decently in both. The only real **** result was WBA, but that happens. Lest we forget, City lost at home to Stoke this year.

We have a new manager, a ton of new/young players, and a rebuilding squad. It's been quite some time since we've had a squad with this many exciting, homegrown-ish players in it, and for me, that's the best part. I love to watch people like Mason, Bentaleb, Rose, Kane, Walker, Dier, Townsend who didn't come for huge fees pull on the shirt. Then when you sprinkle in guys like Eriksen, Lamela, and Chadli who are young, exciting players, it's pretty great. We won't get top 4, but that's not why I follow Spurs. I'm really enjoying watching this team play and grow week on week.

But anyway, here's how I'd break the squad down, mostly leaving out the summer signings, as they bed in.

FIRST NAMES ON TEAM SHEET (SENIOR PROS):
Lloris
Vertonghen
Eriksen
Capoue
Chadli
Lamela
Walker (when fit)

THOSE WHO SHOULD BE LEFT OUT
Chiriches
Paulinho (which makes me sad, but I can't really defend him anymore)
Dembele
Lennon

YOUNGSTERS WHO SHOULD BE GETTING AS MANY GAMES AS POSSIBLE
Kane
Mason
Dier
Bentaleb
Rose
Davies
Townsend

Back