• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

4G

Orange did not win any auction. They applied to use some old spectrum they all ready owned. The auction in 2013 is for spectrum owned by the government.

The night is dark and full of terrors.

Ok so let them - they got the tools to provide a service to their customers so why not.

if O2 had the tools then they could provide the service too right?

I have no issue with it at all, very cleaver of the two companies to merge thus freeing up spectrum for 4g.

In fact im pleased!!
the bloody auction was first meant to happen 3 year's ago.

Yeah its just the way it goes.

Don't remember O2 complaining when they had the iPhone exclusively for 2 years that it was unfair.

I have noticed most smart phones in the USA (eg galaxy S3) have 4g capability. Two questions.

1. Is the USA 4g the same as what EE are installing, and also is 4gLTE any different
2. If a UK galaxy s3 isn't set-up for 4g is this a software/os update or are we talking a different piece of hardware required within the phone?

I have noticed most smart phones in the USA (eg galaxy S3) have 4g capability. Two questions.

1. Is the USA 4g the same as what EE are installing, and also is 4gLTE any different
2. If a UK galaxy s3 isn't set-up for 4g is this a software/os update or are we talking a different piece of hardware required within the phone?

The current SGS3s out aren't compatible with 4G. The LTE one is coming out soon. LTE is the name for the 4G that is being put in place here. The other option is WiMAX which I think is more of an Asian thing. LTE is used in the US

Yeah its just the way it goes.

Don't remember O2 complaining when they had the iPhone exclusively for 2 years that it was unfair.

Exclusivity to a manufacturer is hardly the same as exclusivity to an entire platform! Having said that, EE have played a blinder.

The yank versions are 4G

You could probably import one, or find one on eBay

I imagine all major phones released from now on, will be 4G compatible

The current SGS3s out aren't compatible with 4G. The LTE one is coming out soon. LTE is the name for the 4G that is being put in place here. The other option is WiMAX which I think is more of an Asian thing. LTE is used in the US

You were complaining in the other thread that the iphone 5 isn't much different, but it is 4G compatible which is a massive difference with the 4S given the extra speed 4G will bring. 4G should hopefully bring the major technology advances that you keep mentioning.

I know a few people who are involved in the current trial with 4G, will have to ask them how much difference it makes.

I'm sure I read the other day that the iphone5 is not tuned to the bands that O2 and Vodafone will end up with, so if you want 4G on an iPhone5 you have to go with EE.

Exclusivity to a manufacturer is hardly the same as exclusivity to an entire platform! Having said that, EE have played a blinder.

EE didnt really do anything other than say "we're ready now, why should the UK wait". Seems fair enough. EE will benefit massively if they deliver on time though, because I imagine a lot of people getting the new iPhone would rather use 4G so will switch over and then be tied into a 2 year contract.

You were complaining in the other thread that the iphone 5 isn't much different, but it is 4G compatible which is a massive difference with the 4S given the extra speed 4G will bring. 4G should hopefully bring the major technology advances that you keep mentioning.

I know a few people who are involved in the current trial with 4G, will have to ask them how much difference it makes.

Well that's because there is a 4G version coming out in the UK soon and it's been out in the US since the start. Just because it isn't out yet, doesn't mean we can't compare it. Everyone was comparing the iPhone 5 to other phones before that came out!

Back