• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

My thoughts are that Bartley is a bit of a gamble. He has huge talent but applies it a bit inconsistently. Pochettino could turn him into an incredible player, but it certainly isnt guaranteed. If we can get him for only 5 or 10 million too more than we can sell Sissoko for then it would be worth the gamble IMO. We would instantly be improved with the potential of a very high up side.

Last edited:
Well, Everton fans on GOT are making the point that Burnley are asking for 25m for Keane and *rse are asking for 35m for Oxlade-Chamberlain, both on the last years of their respective contracts - thus, they should at least be getting 30m-odd for Barkley.

I don't think he'll come for 20m, definitely not. Maybe 25m, but that's still half of their publicly stated price. Might well be more. Thus, I'm not sure if that's the route worth going down - spending 25m+ on someone who won't necessarily be a starter straight away. Not to mention wages - Barkley will presumably want 100k a week or thereabouts, which I'm not sure he necessarily deserves yet.

Yeah, but other Everton fans (again, on GOT) are making the point that Barkley outdoes Siggy quite comfortably on several indicators -

View attachment 3331

(Courtesy GOT - https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ross-barkley.77981/page-1603#post-5481061 )
Don't those 'tards know how to use per90 stats?

Still makes Barkley come out better than Sig, but makes him seem far less impressive against the likes of Coutinho.

Those stats seem a strange set of choices too - smells a bit of cherry picking to me.

At the every least he improves our squad which as far as I am concerned means he improves "us". Bearing in mind he is English and his age I could see him costing approx £20m. Anymore I would tell them to jog on. As he only has a year left on his contract Levy will bring his "A" game to the negotiating table :D
If Levy's going to buy a young, English player from another PL club for £20m he'll need to bring a firearm to the negotiations, not just his A game.

In a world where Levy gets stiffed £30m for Sissoko, then the English tax on Barkley will make him something stupid like £40m.

Don't those 'tards know how to use per90 stats?

Still makes Barkley come out better than Sig, but makes him seem far less impressive against the likes of Coutinho.

Those stats seem a strange set of choices too - smells a bit of cherry picking to me.

Some folks who live for stats do that quite a bit. :D

It's an amateur mistake.

I doubt those who have an understanding of stats would do so.

You would be surprised, most are agenda driven and those who do not have agenda think they are perfect, those who are neither ( sadly the minority) think they are a tool no more no less.

You would be surprised, most are agenda driven and those who do not have agenda think they are perfect, those who are neither ( sadly the minority) think they are a tool no more no less.

But the good thing is that it is easy to see when people make a mistake in presenting them and you can argue on a comparative basis.

People who constantly complain about stats and only want to use observation are frequently oblivious to their inherent biases.

My thoughts are that Bartley is a bit of a gamble. He has huge talent but applies it a bit inconsistently. Pochettino could turn him into an incredible player, but it certainly isnt guaranteed. If we can get him for only 5 or 10 million too more than we can sell Sissons for thenow it would be worth the gamble IMO. We would instantly be improved with the potential of a very high up side.

I haven't seen that much of Barkely (really only when he plays against Spurs) but I understand he is considered to have the potential to be a really good player. I do wonder what his mentality is like. Poch has worked wonders with players, but I think we need to bring in players who understand that they are being bought to train not to play and have the desire and strength of will to compete for their place.

That said, I do think he would be worth the risk - if only to play against lower half teams so Spurs can rest starters- if we could get him for the sort of figure you mentioned.

Mahrez is the one missing piece of our jigsaw - a playmaker with spark. A dribbler who can create chances and score with very limited space.

In someways I think he can be a bit different from our mould, because he's that x-factor player for the times nothing else is working. This team's van der Vaart.

Re money - if his motivation is his career, he'll join us.

Again - our considerations tend to be biased towards a player's attitude first, as opposed to his skill. Judging by our past transfer windows, this is how we operate under Poch.

The brutal facts are that Mahrez has had half a good season in the Premier League. He has sulked, he has struggled, he has been far from convincing this year. And he's on 100k a week on top of it - it's correspondingly hard to see him taking a wage cut to come to us.

Then there are the physical considerations. We are moving to Wembley, and if we lose Walker, we will be badly in need of physicality and pace elsewhere in the side (to make up for the loss of these attributes in Walker - Trippier's neither fast nor particularly strong/big). Both are key to our system in particular, and succeeding at Wembley more broadly (due to the extra space we'll need to cover on a regular basis). Okay, most attacking midfielders aren't blessed with both attributes. But Mahrez is neither quick nor strong.

Overall, there are a lot of potential problems with the idea of signing Mahrez. Better to go for a more suitable player, imo.

Overall, there are a lot of potential problems with the idea of signing Mahrez. Better to go for a more suitable player, imo.

So let me get this right, you think Mahrez is not a suitable signing but in the Sissoko thread you have been defending his contribution this season? I find that hard to rationalise

Would prefer Mahrez to Barkley. IMHO he is far better. I don't know much about attitude issues but on the pitch, the Algerian takes it.

Who would you want us to sign realistically?

I don't think a player like Barkley is needed if we have Eriksen Alli, Son and Lanela to sit behind the striker. A deep lying midfielder who can fit in for Dembele is key imo and Kovacic would be ideal and gives us a different dimension.

Back