• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

he is so comfortable on the ball that he just looks that he could go anywhere with it, at his will. he also has this thing where he commits the player to him then rolls it back for someone with ample time to respond. something that Bale would relish, and now perhaps someone like Paulinho or Eriksen can capitalize on

I think he's going to be a real superstar. Think he's got an arrogance of he knows he's good. Next world record in the making :(

Got some lovely quick feet, I know we were bummed out after that Arsenal result, but I can only see good things for our club. I think we are being massively underestimated in the media and football public as we have a relatively unknown squad. I think what might actually help our large group of new acquisitions settle is the fact that there is not pressure on one single signing alone to deliver. They are in it together.

With Sandro the ring leader I hope he brings the whole squad together.

I'm just still bummed out we're in this league withan City and Chelsea. Imagine how exciting it would be without them. Don't begrudge **** their signing, at least they earned it.

I'm just still bummed out we're in this league withan City and Chelsea. Imagine how exciting it would be without them. Don't begrudge **** their signing, at least they earned it.

Excluding the financially doped clubs, we would have finished in third place for the past three years.
Quite an achievment given the size of our stadium and our wage policy.

[video=youtube;8ZI5AfLWgN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZI5AfLWgN0[/video]

A few glimpses of real talent and class.

1:06 - shame he didn't pick out Paulinho - would have had a good chance of a goal. Look at Defoe complaining that he didn't pass the ball back to him. Can just imagine defoe passing when there's a shot on

BTVMoRyIIAAlZw9.jpg:large

Not if the full backs can't cross...

This.

v ARSEnal: Walker hit 0 accurate crosses from 8 attempts, Rose hit 1 accurate cross from 5 attempts.
v Swansea: Walker hit 0 accurate crosses from 4 attempts, Rose hit 0 accurate crosses from 6 attempts.

Although at 5'10" Soldado isn't exactly the biggest target... hopefully Paulinho can get his 6'1" frame on the end of a few crosses as the season progresses though.

This.

v ARSEnal: Walker hit 0 accurate crosses from 8 attempts, Rose hit 1 accurate cross from 5 attempts.
v Swansea: Walker hit 0 accurate crosses from 4 attempts, Rose hit 0 accurate crosses from 6 attempts.

Although at 5'10" Soldado isn't exactly the biggest target... hopefully Paulinho can get his 6'1" frame on the end of a few crosses as the season progresses though.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a matter of them missing a small target. They were just crossing blindly in hopes that someone might be in the area, rather than looking up to see if anyone was about, delaying, cutting a pass back instead of across the goalmouth, etc. Even if Crouch was the target, those crosses would have been nowhere near him.

Did anyone see this video on youtube?

[video=youtube;ric0xTz5g2A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ric0xTz5g2A[/video]

Unfortunately, it wasn't a matter of them missing a small target. They were just crossing blindly in hopes that someone might be in the area, rather than looking up to see if anyone was about, delaying, cutting a pass back instead of across the goalmouth, etc. Even if Crouch was the target, those crosses would have been nowhere near him.

Walker picked a very nice cut pass style pass to Soldado.

Part of the problem was that our full backs didn't get into good enough positions/situations to cross. We need them to get in behind, or put in early crosses in between the opposing back 4 and the goalkeeper. Not crosses 25 yards from the line after the centre backs are in position. We don't have the strikers for that and our full backs don't have the crossing ability for that either, but very few full backs do.

This.

As Dr Rosenrosen has already pointed out, the problem isn't that they're getting to Soldado but he's getting outjumped, it is that they are often just hitting the first man or over hitting it and it clears anyone. They both need to practice crossing hard, because it is looking so far that a large part of how we play involves width from the fullbacks.

Still, getting bodies into the box (Chadli and Paulinho) will hopefully still help a bit in helping them reach anyone in a white top.

Ricky Villa: Lamela 'will improve dramatically' at Tottenham

Tottenham icon Ricky Villa believes Erik Lamela will "improve dramatically" at White Hart Lane.

Roma announced that it has agreed upon a deal worth 25.7 million pounds, plus 4.2 million in add-ons, with Spurs for Lamela on Wednesday afternoon.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas and new technical director Franco Baldini identified the 21-year-old Argentine as the club's top target to replace Real Madrid-bound Gareth Bale, and Villa believes it is the right choice.

"Lamela will improve dramatically as a player at Tottenham," Villa told Goal. "I think the arrival of Erik Lamela to Tottenham is fantastic. The manager is building up a super-competitive team.

"European football in general is lacking in footballers that are capable of creating, of inventing. English football is very dynamic, very quick, but it’s lacking in the volumen de juego [inventiveness, creativity] that players like Lamela can bring to the table."

Lamela moved from River Plate to Italy in 2011 following the Argentine giants' relegation, and Villa believes his experience of playing in Serie A will stand him in good stead upon his arrival in England, despite the differences between the two cultures.

"I don’t think he’ll have any trouble adapting when it comes purely to football," Villa said. "It’s true that the Premier League is not the same as Serie A, but Erik already has the European footballer mentality.

"He’s got a different level of discipline, a different kind of training, of dealing with the press. He learned all that in his two years in Italy. Besides, the manager is from Portugal, and Portuguese people in general understand South American footballers better."

Villa moved to Tottenham, alongside Ossie Ardiles, from Racing Club in 1978, and does not foresee the same kind of culture shock for Lamela that he experienced 35 years ago.

"These days it is a lot easier to adapt," Villa said. "You’ve got social networks, internet, etc. With Osvaldo [Ardiles], we went into what was in effect a different world. We were disconnected, it was like an adventure for us. We had no contact whatsoever with Argentina. We were used to a completely different life. You had to walk for a while to find a telephone and make a call.

"The trouble for an Argentine that arrives to the Premier League is adapting to life in England, to the language, to the habits. But I don’t think that would be a big problem for Erik. There is a different level when it comes to the relationship between players and fans and vice versa. We (the Argentines) are more similar to the Italians. If we compare everything with Argentina, England is a step above."

------------------------------------------------------

Encouraging words from Villa about Lamela. Hope Lamela will have the same impact that Villa and Ardiles had at Spurs.

Think the problem is the build up is too slow its going to give teams to much time to get in behind the ball. Like last Sunday they always had plenty in the box by the time the cross was put in soldado had no chance. It's got to change yes we will control games easier but if there is no creative edge we will be in trouble I thought jeans was back out there Sunday it all went sideways !

Ossie's Lamela dream
Posted by Tottenham Hotspur on 4 September 2013 - 15:40

Ossie Ardiles admits to an increasing sense of excitement as he assesses the growing strength of the Spurs first team squad.

And, hardly surprisingly, it is the arrival of his fellow countryman Erik Lamela that’s put a big smile on his face.

Ardiles, our former player, manager and Argentina international, was the real pioneer when it comes to the import of overseas players when he joined Spurs with World Cup-winning partner Ricky Villa in July, 1978.

Ossie’s been following Lamela’s career since the Buenos Aires-born attacking midfielder made an early breakthrough at home town club River Plate. And he is convinced that the man known as Coco has found his spiritual home at White Hart Lane.

Ossie sums him up thus: “He’s a brilliant player. Of all the really top players Tottenham have bought for this season, he is the one that excites me the most.

“And not at all becomes he too comes from Argentina! It’s simply because of the way he plays. He’s a different type of player; to my mind a real Spurs player.

“These days you could describe a lot of players as manufactured. But not Lamela. He is a natural – and very talented. He is also extremely mature in his game for his age.

“He made his debut at a very young age at a big club like River Plate. And he coped very well with the obvious pressure in what was a traumatic season for the club as they were relegated under the format of the Argentina Primera that takes into account the form of each club over the past three seasons.

“Then the move to Roma – and we all know how difficult it is to play in Serie A. Despite his youth – and remember he’s only 21 now – he had a good record there. He showed his resolve and there is something extra about him as he approaches his football from a very different angle.

“He is never predictable in his play; he’s much more subtle than that. I would sum him up as very skilful at pace.

“In Argentina he was seen as a traditional number 10. And only the very special players achieve that acclaim. He can play in that crucial creative area behind the main striker; as an attacking midfielder or more to the left which he has done with success.

“All in all he is very talented. True, like all the new arrivals, he’ll need a bit of time to adjust to the pace of the Premier League. But he’ll do that and he’ll do it well. It’s great to have him here and I’m excited about the immediate future at Tottenham.”

-------------------------------------

Hope both Villa and Ardiles will help Lamela settle down at Spurs. But find it hard to understand why we didn't buy any Argentine players after the success of Villa and Ardiles, apart from the England-based Taricco.

Is there any chance of the Spurs fans adopting United's "Ar-gen-tina! Ar-gen-tina" chant? Would love to hear that for Erik.

Let's be honest, we're gonna sing there's only one Lamela and be happy we can do that ;)

Is there any chance of the Spurs fans adopting United's "Ar-gen-tina! Ar-gen-tina" chant? Would love to hear that for Erik.

Was it not us that sang that first when Villa and Ardiles were here? Seem to remember reading about us singing it during the Falklands in support of the players at the time.

Quite funny that we could be in a similar situation if things escalate over there in the coming years :D

With players like De Rossi, Pjanic and Lamela, how have Roma failed to qualify for any European football for the last 2 seasons? I do not follow Italian football so would be intrigued to read from someone who does like murmon? Should we worry that their so called star players are overrated?

Back