• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Or is everyone else early with THEIR subs?

Poch got it spectacularly right on Sunday but he does often get it wrong on subs by leaving them too late.

The biggest shock for me reading his book was the Pool game last season. I’m paraphrasing but he said “we were 2 down, not playing well and the game was over. What was the point in making a change? It would have done more damage than good.”

I get that perspective but think he’s wrong and it’s an insight into one of what I think are his very few failings. If he made changes at Anfield he was telling the players that what was happening wasn’t good enough and, as much value as he rightly puts on the player-manager relationship, sometimes it’s his job to do just that in my view.

Even to the point of refusing to accept video evidence that goes against their narrative that the officials and Spurs cheated them of 3 points. It's rather hilarious.
not to mention the lino's celebratory fist...:mad:

Running AND gurning. Poch has so much to learn.

4c0243c2-ed5e-4455-a4c0-49f60c786ab0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Poch got it spectacularly right on Sunday but he does often get it wrong on subs by leaving them too late.

The biggest shock for me reading his book was the Pool game last season. I’m paraphrasing but he said “we were 2 down, not playing well and the game was over. What was the point in making a change? It would have done more damage than good.”

I get that perspective but think he’s wrong and it’s an insight into one of what I think are his very few failings. If he made changes at Anfield he was telling the players that what was happening wasn’t good enough and, as much value as he rightly puts on the player-manager relationship, sometimes it’s his job to do just that in my view.

I agree from external appearance it often seems like we leave subs late, but I also think there are two scenarios to consider

1. Most common, we are a possession based side with a high level of fitness and movement. Often opposition will bum rush us, try to break our rhythm, double up on key players, retreat in numbers and make it hard for us to pass through them. This is either countered by early goal for us (which makes them come out more), or we grind them down, make them work too much and inevitably hurt them in 2nd half of game.

2. Least common, opposition plays a tactic that totally disrupts us, and puts us significantly on back foot (used to happen against long ball, pacey teams). We can counter that by switching formation within game (3 at back to 4, etc.) and/or by subs (and here early subs matter).

I'd argue that the vast majority of our games fall into category 1, and Poch really sees it as a patience game, and believing in the players he has. Hence the purpose of most of our subs is simply rotation, resting players for next game, vs. impact subs.

I agree from external appearance it often seems like we leave subs late, but I also think there are two scenarios to consider

1. Most common, we are a possession based side with a high level of fitness and movement. Often opposition will bum rush us, try to break our rhythm, double up on key players, retreat in numbers and make it hard for us to pass through them. This is either countered by early goal for us (which makes them come out more), or we grind them down, make them work too much and inevitably hurt them in 2nd half of game.

2. Least common, opposition plays a tactic that totally disrupts us, and puts us significantly on back foot (used to happen against long ball, pacey teams). We can counter that by switching formation within game (3 at back to 4, etc.) and/or by subs (and here early subs matter).

I'd argue that the vast majority of our games fall into category 1, and Poch really sees it as a patience game, and believing in the players he has. Hence the purpose of most of our subs is simply rotation, resting players for next game, vs. impact subs.

You may have a point but take the Arsenal game for example. They dingdonged us and he did nothing to change it. Winks for Dembele after 65 mins was almost like for like. The next changes on 75 mins, including the withdrawal of Kane (who admittedly wasn’t 100%) were too late and an admission of defeat.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...le-alli-diving-killing-the-game-a8197946.html

“Football is a creative sport,” he said, “in which you need the talent that grows in a very intelligent person, a very smart brain. And now we are so focused on minimal details. I am worried that in a few years, we are pushing the sport we love now - a passionate sport that people love to watch around the world - into a very rigid structure. With VAR, with focusing too much on small actions like this.

“Football is about trying to trick your opponent - yes or no? Tactics – what does ‘tactic’ mean? When you do tactics, it is to try to trick the opponent. You play on the right, but you finish on the left. Twenty years ago, thirty years ago, we all congratulated a player when he tricks the referee like this. That is the football that I was in love with when I was a child. Yes, in Argentina, but in England too. You believe that in England you were honest and always perfect?”

Finally, Pochettino argued that referees should simply be allowed to officiate and make errors unmolested by instant judgement and granular video analysis. “I am worried that maybe we are going to kill the game,” he said. “We love this game. Referees are humans too, and sometimes they are right, sometimes they are not right. In 10 months, over the whole season, sometimes it is against you, sometimes it is for you. For me, I like this type of football.

The Tottenham boss is concerned the game is being scrutinised to the point of death
“My worry is this: of course if you dive, and the referee saw you, you are punished. And he deserves it. But don’t go more crazy.”

These quotes from Harry Kane sum Poch up perfectly:

Obviously, when Mauricio Pochettino came in the following season, everything changed. Not just for me, but for the club. No one has had a bigger impact on my career than Mauricio, and that’s because he didn’t just bring a fantastic managerial philosophy to the club, he also brought us all very close together. He had an amazing career in his own right, but he almost never talks about it.

As a manager, it’s never about him — it’s always about helping the players, whether it’s the best player or a player who is struggling. Of course, if you don’t want to work hard and you’re lazy … then he’s ruthless. That’s it — you won’t be playing and the door won’t be open to talk to him, either. But if you give him respect, and you work hard for him? He’ll give you all the time in the world.

One of my fondest memories in football is when I scored a hattrick a few seasons ago and Mauricio called me into his office after the match. At the time, I’d say we were close, but not super close. I wasn’t sure what he wanted.

So I open the door … and he’s sitting there at his desk with a glass of red wine — probably a nice Malbec or something. Big smile on his face. And he waves me in and says, “Come on, let’s get a picture.”

So he’s got his arm around me, with his glass of wine in the other hand, and we’re taking a photo. It was brilliant. That was the first time I thought, Wow, this is a special person.

He’s a fantastic, fantastic man. I respect him as a manager and as a boss, of course — but he’s really my friend outside of football, as well. He’s the reason why our squad has become so close — we’re genuine mates, and I think that’s rare in football nowadays.

He’s a fantastic, fantastic man. I respect him as a manager and as a boss, of course — but he’s really my friend outside of football, as well. He’s the reason why our squad has become so close — we’re genuine mates, and I think that’s rare in football nowadays.

Wow. If Poch has that ability and at the same time being ruthless, particularly towards those who shall be shown to the door, he is really something special. To be able to combine these two abilities is very unique, not only in the world of football managers, but in the world of managers as such.

On top of which, what with injuries and stuff, our bench is not exactly heaving with high-impact players ready to offer more than the high-octane quality already on the park.

One of my fondest memories in football is when I scored a hattrick a few seasons ago and Mauricio called me into his office after the match. At the time, I’d say we were close, but not super close. I wasn’t sure what he wanted.

So I open the door … and he’s sitting there at his desk with a glass of red wine — probably a nice Malbec or something. Big smile on his face. And he waves me in and says, “Come on, let’s get a picture.”

So he’s got his arm around me, with his glass of wine in the other hand, and we’re taking a photo. It was brilliant. That was the first time I thought, Wow, this is a special person.

This is a bit of an odd anecdote. Was he really that impressed with having his photo taken?

Here's Llorente weighing in on the great man:

“Tottenham is Pochettino. Kane is phenomenal, but he needs his teammates. Our Coach, however, had a decisive role for the growth of the club. Now we are among the big sides and there is a harmonious atmosphere, it feels like a family.

For example, I’m not playing very much, but I am happy and I have fun here. I am aware that I am second in the pecking order, but I also know that 11 players are not enough to win a title. We need everyone and I work to ensure I am ready when called upon.

Mauricio is not just a Coach, but also a manager, and his greatest strength is intelligence. If he asks me about Juventus, I’ll be able to tell him a few things, as I know the club and most of the players. Mind you, Pochettino focuses more on our own style than that of our opponents."

https://www.football-italia.net/117028/llorente-tottenham-pochettino

You can't knock the guy, everyone seems to love him.

Here's Llorente weighing in on the great man:

“Tottenham is Pochettino. Kane is phenomenal, but he needs his teammates. Our Coach, however, had a decisive role for the growth of the club. Now we are among the big sides and there is a harmonious atmosphere, it feels like a family.

For example, I’m not playing very much, but I am happy and I have fun here. I am aware that I am second in the pecking order, but I also know that 11 players are not enough to win a title. We need everyone and I work to ensure I am ready when called upon.

Mauricio is not just a Coach, but also a manager, and his greatest strength is intelligence. If he asks me about Juventus, I’ll be able to tell him a few things, as I know the club and most of the players. Mind you, Pochettino focuses more on our own style than that of our opponents."

https://www.football-italia.net/117028/llorente-tottenham-pochettino

You can't knock the guy, everyone seems to love him.
Most keepers who’ve faced him as a spurs player seem to love him too.

Back