• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker-Peters

Im not really defending him!

I dont rate him at all, I find him to be surprisingly limited.

That said, Pochettino really hasnt played him to his strengths either, which doesnt help Sissoko or us at all.

I don't think Trippier *can* fully replace Walker - too different in terms of playing style and physical attributes (reasonably quick but nothing special versus lightning fast - short and somewhat slight versus built like a brick outhouse, and so on). Ditto KWP. It will mean adapting our play to compensate, and whether that's wise is an open question given that the previous system saw us get 86 points and a runners-up place.

On the other hand, signing someone like Toljan (who can play on both flanks), or Pereira (who can play and actually prefers playing as a winger) could lessen the need to make that shift, and given their versatility, would still allow us to spread our talent evenly across the squad instead of being overloaded in one particular area.

Toljan has gone to Dortmund now for £5m, bargain these days.

Time to give him a game on the right.

Trippier can't go past a player. In recent games against teams sitting back he has been just playing the ball backwards instead of trying to beat a man and cross it in.

Aurier is completely unreliable. An absolute loose cannon on the pitch who could put in a 4 or an 8 performance. Not to mention he could get sent off at any moment and is always on the edge of a brainfart defensive decision.

Trippier can't go past a player. In recent games against teams sitting back he has been just playing the ball backwards instead of trying to beat a man and cross it in.

Aurier is completely unreliable. An absolute loose cannon on the pitch who could put in a 4 or an 8 performance. Not to mention he could get sent off at any moment and is always on the edge of a brainfart defensive decision.

Considering Aurier hasn't played regularly, the fact that he shows '8' level performances even when the whole team is off colour, should that tell that Aurier simply needs time to settle. For me he needs to play every week. Just has an X factor to him, considerable skill, and will settle in defence with steady games.

Interesting. I was thinking the same. KWP does seem a more sensible and safer option than Aurier

What message does that send to both Tripps AND Aurier if, during a bit of a slump, we bench one and shelve the other for a relatively untried youth player!!!?

I know we're all a bit upset, but i don't think the RB position is really our main problem is it. Let's look at our lack of creativity (i'm talking to you Christian) and getting the first choice midfield back first eh?

What message does that send to both Tripps AND Aurier if, during a bit of a slump, we bench one and shelve the other for a relatively untried youth player!!!?

I know we're all a bit upset, but i don't think the RB position is really our main problem is it. Let's look at our lack of creativity (i'm talking to you Christian) and getting the first choice midfield back first eh?
It could be argued that it is equally unfair on KWP to deny him his opportunity when the senior players are falling short - if that is indeed what is happening.

Also, on that basis we might never have brought Kane in for Soldado or Adebayor. Some of us feel Poch actually indulged those two for too far long.

At the end of the day, if Trips and Aurier are not performing over a sustained period, is that not their problem?

At the end of the day, if Trips and Aurier are not performing over a sustained period, is that not their problem?

And in there lies the rub. I don't believe that either of them have been performing badly for a sustained period.
They might not be setting the world alight, but neither have been appalling, esp given Aurier is presumably still settling to both Poch's style and the demands of the Prem.

I'm not sure what KWP offers in abundance right now that the other two don't/can't.

He's only played one match for us, and was man of the match that day. I don't think it would be out of order to play him just for that. Not that I'm particularly worried about either Aurier or trippier, but would love to see kwp play for us again soon.

He's only played one match for us, and was man of the match that day. I don't think it would be out of order to play him just for that. Not that I'm particularly worried about either Aurier or trippier, but would love to see kwp play for us again soon.

Eriksen was MotM that day, but the commentator decided to give it to the English youth player who was all over the field with challenges.

Back