• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

ouch

3C1F243600000578-0-image-a-14_1484430914043.jpg

so frustrating as it came from a nothing situation, with no pressure around him and we were pretty much cruising.
same thing for kane's ankle injury early in the season iirc.

"Pochettino, who fears Vertonghen has suffered ligament damage, said: “It looks very bad and we are very disappointed for him. We will have to wait a little bit to assess exactly what the problem is, but it looks bad. But we’ve got Ben Davies and Kevin Wimmer who can play at centre-back, so we don’t need to change our plans for January or go into the market.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-brom-premier-league-live-score-goal-updates/

Good news for Wimmer, who can use this opportunity to prove he's on a level with JV. He's probably thinking to himself that he can't do more than 2 years as a clear back up, and at his age needs to be playing. Here's his opportunity.

If we lost Toby for weeks it would be a disaster, because he brings everyone up a level. Jan is great, but Wimmer has never let us down when he's had a chance at centre back. That includes helping us win at Emirates Marketing Project last year. He's also good on the ball and as I said, needs to use this to show Poch he's on Jan's level. It would be hard to find a better left footed back up than KW so we need to give him some incentive that he has a career here.

I'm no medical expert but I don't think it will be that bad. A straight forward twisted ankle (like you or me might do on an uneven paving slab in the street).

I'm not sure if it is where the playing turf ends and join with whatever, that's caused it. BUT the good thing is it's not like a tackle where your ankle has uncontrolled force put through it (or trod on ) while being planted.

Six weeks I reckon....back for Everton at home.:cool::)

Good news for Wimmer, who can use this opportunity to prove he's on a level with JV. He's probably thinking to himself that he can't do more than 2 years as a clear back up, and at his age needs to be playing. Here's his opportunity.

If we lost Toby for weeks it would be a disaster, because he brings everyone up a level. Jan is great, but Wimmer has never let us down when he's had a chance at centre back. That includes helping us win at Emirates Marketing Project last year. He's also good on the ball and as I said, needs to use this to show Poch he's on Jan's level. It would be hard to find a better left footed back up than KW so we need to give him some incentive that he has a career here.

Do you not think Vertonghen will just walk back into the side regardless of how well Wimmer does?

Do you not think Vertonghen will just walk back into the side regardless of how well Wimmer does?

he shouldn't do if Wimmer plays well, however i imagine he would walk back in regardless.

our defensive record after Vertonghen returned from injury last season was worse than when he was out and Wimmer was covering iirc so in hindsight it may have been better to leave Wimmer in

Maybe, but starting next season Wimmer and Jan (if Wimmer performs well) should be on more of a level playing field, kind of like how Rose and Davies were when Davies first joined.

Otherwise, I fear we'd have to lose a great young centre back in Wimmer and struggle to get someone as good to come as back up.

Maybe, but starting next season Wimmer and Jan (if Wimmer performs well) should be on more of a level playing field, kind of like how Rose and Davies were when Davies first joined.

Otherwise, I fear we'd have to lose a great young centre back in Wimmer and struggle to get someone as good to come as back up.

I'm not sure that Wimmer has provne that he's a 'great' young centre back yet - he did well in the team last year when needed, but I dont think you can say more, yet, than he's PL quality. To call him 'great' or say good enough to be a regular starter in a top 4 team needs more proof over a longer period. Hopefully he'll get there

I'm not sure that Wimmer has provne that he's a 'great' young centre back yet - he did well in the team last year when needed, but I dont think you can say more, yet, than he's PL quality. To call him 'great' or say good enough to be a regular starter in a top 4 team needs more proof over a longer period. Hopefully he'll get there

Would agree with this, Wimmer may go on to be a very good/great CB for us but at this present time he is not in the same class as Jan.

he shouldn't do if Wimmer plays well, however i imagine he would walk back in regardless.

our defensive record after Vertonghen returned from injury last season was worse than when he was out and Wimmer was covering iirc so in hindsight it may have been better to leave Wimmer in
I think there's too much variance to look at defensive record over that number of games as all that informative.

Vertonghen is the better player.

And how long do we keep Vertonghen happy if he's Wimmer's backup?

I think there's too much variance to look at defensive record over that number of games as all that informative.

As I said, it should be more of a Rose/Davies situation when Davies first joined. I say it 'should' as if I know best, but it's clear to see some young players won't be happy being back ups forever. We either need to have another Wimmer in our scouting system or we need to give Wimmer more incentive that he can fulfill his potential here.

I dont dispute that Vertonghen is the better player at the moment, i was answering whether Vertonghen should walk back in to the team if Wimmer plays well in his absence.

I would have kept Wimmer in the team upon Ventonghens return last season and would again should he perform well in the coming weeks (or Davies should he get chosen instead)

As I said, it should be more of a Rose/Davies situation when Davies first joined. I say it 'should' as if I know best, but it's clear to see some young players won't be happy being back ups forever. We either need to have another Wimmer in our scouting system or we need to give Wimmer more incentive that he can fulfill his potential here.
But it's not that kind of situation. Rose was 23-24 and Davies 21 iirc. Neither had done enough to warrant being a clear first choice. Vertonghen is a clear first choice for us and Belgium. And at 29 he's at the age where he should be able to expect passing week in week out with his quality.

I'm all for player development. But not if it comes at the cost of not playing someone like Vertonghen.

I dont dispute that Vertonghen is the better player at the moment, i was answering whether Vertonghen should walk back in to the team if Wimmer plays well in his absence.

I would have kept Wimmer in the team upon Ventonghens return last season and would again should he perform well in the coming weeks (or Davies should he get chosen instead)
I think the value of getting a superior player back to match fitness and in the starting 11 is more important.

I think the value of getting a superior player back to match fitness and in the starting 11 is more important.

Yeah thats fair enough - Wimmer would have to match Vertonghens performance level in order to keep his place in the team (which i was i meant by playing well) which i felt he done last season when he had his run, so if he were to repeat that again this time around then there wouldnt be much of a trade off, in fact developing a young player capable of that level of performance would probably have its own benefits

Back