• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Squad for friendlies announced

Full squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (West Ham), Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones (Emirates Marketing Project), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Alfie Mawson (Swansea)

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Adam Lallana, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (all Liverpool), Jack Wheelchair (Arsenal), Jake Livermore (West Brom)

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Emirates Marketing Project), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)
Gonna crash out in the group stages with a squad like that .

Some of the BBC live text is fun

The exclusion of Lascelles and Dunk is truly incredible. What games does Southgate go to?

Ken, Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Hart, why? Great to see Pope & Tarkowski recognised though.

Steve, Kent

Hart cannot even get a regular start for West Ham! Wheelchair ,Welbeck and Henderson are all injury prone and have had there day! Surely friendlies are the chance to blood new/fringe players?

Paul

Leaving out Lewis Dunk one of the best English defenders and bang in form sums up how useless Southgate is. And more proof picking Joe Hart bottom of keeper stats and now not even playing!

Greg Bishop

I cannot honestly believe Southgate thinks Jordan Henderson is worthy enough of an England shirt. Baffles me. Sideways, backwards, injured. Lascelles and Dunk for me should have been given the nod.

Tom G

The outrage over Henderson is bizarre. How many other English players have captained their side to the last eight of the Champions League?

Suhel, Leicester

Phil Bowers: Just seen the England squad. Wheelchair? Welbeck? Henderson? HART????? If this was truly a time to experiment in the run-up to a major tournament - this lot could've been avoided. Joe Hart still being within earshot of the England number one shirt is madness.

George Mcbride: I cannot believe there's no Shelvey as he is one of the most creative midfielders we have but Henderson gets picked....I give up.

Rezaa Sait: Why are people questioning the inclusion of Wheelchair? He's England's most creative midfielder and he's playing regularly and well for Arsenal.

Stephen Burfoot: Don't forget a squad is about chemistry as well as ability, Hart does have a lot of experience to pass on even if it is of the "what not to do" variety

Natalie Burnett: How is Danny Welbeck in the squad?!? Glenn Murray plays in one game and does more than Danny in a whole season.....He scores goals and Danny warms a bench?!?!?!

Adam: People moaning about England squad is laughable. You want new blood, you've got it in Pope, Tarkowski, Cook, Mawson all from "lesser" clubs. Hart's experienced, Henderson is captain of a top four side. Southgate can't win! This is most progressive England side in years.

Surely for two friendlies we can pick a squad of players who have game time this season in the PL why do we rely on players past their sell by date and injury prone!

Trevor, Clitheroe

I don't understand how the inclusion of Livermore hasn't been questioned more? He was a generous inclusion even before West Brom were dreadful. Other than Livermore & Hart I can't really complain too much

James, Suffolk

Matt Jarratt: No Ryan Sessegnon? The kid has gone and scored 14 goals this season and starts every week, instead we have four keepers and Jake Livermore. Same old ‘Scared to try something new England’

Sean Cole: If I wasn't a Burnley fan, that would be the most depressing England squad in a long time.

Taylor: Nice to see another England manager bottling yet another squad selection. Southgate is a yes man.

Not sure why everyone is so angry about the squad. The starting 11 virtually picks itself (apart from the keeper), everyone is arguing over the fringe players of the squad - the fourth centre back etc

Jake S
No hope for Russia now, Southgate clueless and being led from above, that midfield is simply too defensive, how are we going to score with defensive minded back passers Livermore ,Henderson,D ier, Wheelchair? Should have give Shelvey a go, just no creativity in the middle. And Joe Hart, really? Shambles.

Sean , berdeen
Only England. Simultaneously hopeful and hopeless. Inclusions of Mawson, Tarkowski and Pope show genuine forward thinking. Inclusions of Hart ,Livermore and Welbeck are, to anyone who's seen these three play in 2018 (and not many have seen Hart play let's face it), simply incredulous. Livermore is average in a woeful side.

Jeff, Maidenhead

On a whole it's not a bad squad but I would have taken Ben Mee instead of Joe Hart and just gone with three keepers, Jack Cork instead of Jake Livermore and Callum Wilson instead of Danny Welbeck

Will, Aldershot
The negativity surrounding the England squad amazes me! People are calling for in form players to be called like Murray and Dunk. International football isn't only about form it's about being able to play at that level too!

Mark, Andover

Glenn Murray has scored more than both Rashford and Welbeck combined this season. Shame he wasn't given a chance

Luke, Brighton

How people can criticise Wheelchair's incision is beyond me, he is the most talented, forward thinking midfielder available - he should be starting in Russia

Owen, Leicester
Can anybody other than their families and club supporters tell me how Henderson, Hart & Livermore are international quality?

Nigel, Cambridge

And my personal favourite:
I think people are being too harsh on Gareth Southgate, his only concern is they safety of the fans. If he takes a squad as bad as this to Russia they will only have to survive a week there.

Aon

Brighton striker, 34, late career hot streak at the minute.

Im not against the idea, as a 4th choice. I mean, Id certainly rather him than Welbeck (what the fudge ahs he done, ever?).

Im also pro meritocracy. Id like to see players in the squad because they earned it.

Given international football is all about tournaments Im not against an old pro in form being involved. In 2 years time the team should have changed anyway.

I’m not sure why there is some uproar over Murray not being in squad?

There's no reason a long time journeyman can't step it up for one tournament

CllZYDUWIAYQnHV.jpg

https://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/07/legend-of-calcio-salvatore-schillaci/

Yep! The reasons are well documented.

Our goalkeepers or lack there of is the best example of our plight.

It's CMs other than Dier that are my biggest concerns. We desperately need Winks fit and firing if we want to have any sort of possession

There's no depth, but

--------------------Butland

---Gomez--------Stones-------Maguire

Walker-----Dier---------Winks---------Rose

----------Alli----------------Lallana

--------------------Kane

isn't a bad 11. Stones and Lallana are the only two I'm not convinced by.

There's no depth, but

--------------------Kane

Lallana's lack of first team football and Winks likewise and no Shelvey(?) I have to and with great discomfort say Wheelchair :(

I will have a thunk about the rest!

Lallana is one of those what does he do players, but my impression is that over the last couple of years England have played better when he is in the team.

No Smalling or Cahill in the squad. :)

There's no depth, but

--------------------Kane

Shame Gibson dindt get a move.

Back