• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Greatest actor ever (living or dead)

Jurgen the German

Tommy Harmer
Lawrence Olivier has frequently been described as the greatest actor of all time, but I have not seen enough of his work so I cannot offer an objective opinion.

Robert De Niro and Al Pacino are often compared and regarded as two of the best actors of their generation. Personally I prefer De Niro. Pacino has made some fine films, but he can be a little OTT sometimes whereas De Niro is more understated. His peformance in Raging Bull is the greatest acting I have ever seen!

Marlon Brando has to be on the shortlist.

Leonardo Dicaprio is one of the best actors around today. I also think Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey are great actors.

Jack Nicholson and Clint Eastwood were also great in their day.

My favourite would be Robert De Niro.

I don't remember a film Di Caprio has made in the last 15 years that I haven't liked so he's my personal favourite, but I'm not sure I'm not really enough of a film buff to say who is the greatest

Last edited:
I think it's difficult to say. Some are very good at what they do and some are very good at being in many different types of films.

Jack Nicholson for example can be funny, scary, happy, sad, evil etc. He's been in some absolutely brilliant films too. de Niro and Pacino are very good at what they do. You also have guys like Denzel and Freeman who do pretty much the same stuff but are still believable good actors.

Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Steve Buscemi, Robert Downey jr.

Diversity in roles and the ability to really become their character.

Buscemi is a great great shout, I really like him.

Another one who doesn't get mentioned alot, mainly due to his death is John Cazale who I think is a brilliant actor. Couldn't really say he is the greatest actor ever though as he was in about 5 films

I think it's difficult to say. Some are very good at what they do and some are very good at being in many different types of films.

Jack Nicholson for example can be funny, scary, happy, sad, evil etc. He's been in some absolutely brilliant films too. de Niro and Pacino are very good at what they do. You also have guys like Denzel and Freeman who do pretty much the same stuff but are still believable good actors.

Yeah good point. De Niro has also proven that he is very adept at when it comes to comedy. Your right about Nicholson being very versatile, he's the polar opposite of Hugh Grant who always plays the same role in every film.

I wish Denzel Washington would play more villians. He was brilliant in Training Day.

When it comes to tv these days I think Michael C Hall from Dexter is a great actor. He really makes you root for him, even though he's a serial killer.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Paul Giamatti, Edward Norton, Jeff Daniels and one of my personal favourites: JT Walsh.

Buscemi's a good shout, I love him.

Gary Oldman is one of the best imo, crazy the amount of things he did (is doing), quality.

Back