• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

What exactly has Dier been bringing to the table? Him apparently being in the side that has performed well in certain games doesn’t indicate anymore than when Spurs couldn’t win a game for however long when Bale was in the team. Or how we had better results for a good period of time with Kane out of the team. Fact is he has been poor for sometime, and if people want to make excuses for goodness knows how long because he is recovering from injury then fine, but to suggest we are a better team when Dier is in it is laughable. If we can apparently easily upgrade on Sissoko we can certainly upgrade on Dier. This thread is beginning to remind me of the Poch one with blind faith no matter how bad performances are....

Has anyone said that they wouldn't want an upgrade on him? I think that most people on this site agree that central midfield is a priority area for signings, along with fullback.

What we should also be able to agree on, is that our better performances under Mourinho have tended to be where we have had Dier in midfield. The notable exception to that is the last hour against Olympiakos.

Has anyone said that they wouldn't want an upgrade on him? I think that most people on this site agree that central midfield is a priority area for signings, along with fullback.

What we should also be able to agree on, is that our better performances under Mourinho have tended to be where we have had Dier in midfield. The notable exception to that is the last hour against Olympiakos.

Our better performances have all been when he has played under Mou. The manager likes him playing CM and as a manager who has won more trophies on his own than the club has as a whole, I’ll take his judgement

if we can buy a better player then great, the team then gets better.

That made me lol. All due respect but your track record of hero worship isn’t great.... Huddlestone, AVB etc :D:D
Best midfielder we had at the time and the 2nd (probably now 3rd) best manager we've had in a couple of generations.

History has served their time here well.

Edit: That's 2nd best midfielder.

Last edited:
Best midfielder we had at the time and the 2nd (probably now 3rd) best manager we've had in a couple of generations.

History has served their time here well.

We played excellent football the season we had Huddlestone and Modric paired together in central midfield. It's one of the best midfield partnerships we've had in the modern era.

We played excellent football the season we had Huddlestone and Modric paired together in central midfield. It's one of the best midfield partnerships we've had in the modern era.

I know some are against having an overtly defensive midfielder in the pairing but Modric alongside Sandro (once he settled in to the swing of things and pre injury) was a joy to behold. You knew who was doing what and they executed their roles with aplomb.

As for Dier, JJ mentioned on the commentary of the Bayern Munich game, he just looks shattered any time you see him. A couple of times when the ball broke loose around the edge of our area Dier was unable to switch up his momentum quick enough to make a fairly standard interception and an opposing player picks up easy possession in a critical area. The current flaws in his game are bound to be highlighted against the likes of Thiago (one of my current favourite players to watch) and hopefully even if chastening, the minutes will have done him good.

Of course I'm still hoping that Eric will return to peak form, presumably with all the video analysis he is seeing enough of himself to know what improvements are needed but the concern is that he is aware and doing everything he can but his body / systems just won't enable him to compete at the top level.

You could say this for any of our players but I think we'll have a strong idea of where he is at after the splurge of christmas / new years fixtures we have. From the players perspective, I doubt time frames and threats to be thrown to the scrapheap aren't helpful when it comes to recovering from the conditions Dier had and I wouldn't want us to give up on players easily but it's hard to carry passengers for a club of our aspirations and think we'll see that more evidently as time progresses.

As for @scaramanga - Based on current form + situation, would you straight swap Dier for Henderson? Intrigued to hear your answer and hopefully a bit of context if you say what I think you will!

I know some are against having an overtly defensive midfielder in the pairing but Modric alongside Sandro (once he settled in to the swing of things and pre injury) was a joy to behold. You knew who was doing what and they executed their roles with aplomb.

As for Dier, JJ mentioned on the commentary of the Bayern Munich game, he just looks shattered any time you see him. A couple of times when the ball broke loose around the edge of our area Dier was unable to switch up his momentum quick enough to make a fairly standard interception and an opposing player picks up easy possession in a critical area. The current flaws in his game are bound to be highlighted against the likes of Thiago (one of my current favourite players to watch) and hopefully even if chastening, the minutes will have done him good.

Of course I'm still hoping that Eric will return to peak form, presumably with all the video analysis he is seeing enough of himself to know what improvements are needed but the concern is that he is aware and doing everything he can but his body / systems just won't enable him to compete at the top level.

You could say this for any of our players but I think we'll have a strong idea of where he is at after the splurge of christmas / new years fixtures we have. From the players perspective, I doubt time frames and threats to be thrown to the scrapheap aren't helpful when it comes to recovering from the conditions Dier had and I wouldn't want us to give up on players easily but it's hard to carry passengers for a club of our aspirations and think we'll see that more evidently as time progresses.

As for @scaramanga - Based on current form + situation, would you straight swap Dier for Henderson? Intrigued to hear your answer and hopefully a bit of context if you say what I think you will!

I'm not against a defensive midfielder but I think that being able to pass is a requirement.

I think that we all know that Dier is a long way short of his best but we look a more balanced side with him in it. I think that Mourinho is trying to play him back to fitness/form but we need at least one other option in his position.

As for Dier, JJ mentioned on the commentary of the Bayern Munich game, he just looks shattered any time you see him.

Yeah he's clearly a bit overweight and off the pace fitness wise. A lot of his problem against Bayern were that he just couldn't run any faster.

Presumably he's being played to get back to full fitness. Amazed if his legs don't still ache after Weds though :)

And if we get a result it’s in spite of him isn’t it???

I never said that but it’s also equally as absurd to claim the good results we have been getting are a cause of Dier being in the team. It’s much more likely a result of Jose keeping things simple and Alli and Son’s form.

I never said that but it’s also equally as absurd to claim the good results we have been getting are a cause of Dier being in the team. It’s much more likely a result of Jose keeping things simple and Alli and Son’s form.
Ok... but am i wrong in saying that Dier is the only change to the team under Mou?

I'm not against a defensive midfielder but I think that being able to pass is a requirement.

I think that we all know that Dier is a long way short of his best but we look a more balanced side with him in it. I think that Mourinho is trying to play him back to fitness/form but we need at least one other option in his position.

I'm with you on that, got to at least try to play him back in to top form

Ok... but am i wrong in saying that Dier is the only change to the team under Mou?

Personnel wise, Verts being at CB has meant that obviously there's 3 CBs on the pitch. Plus Moura seems a regular starter.

I'm with you on that, got to at least try to play him back in to top form

Personnel wise, Verts being at CB has meant that obviously there's 3 CBs on the pitch. Plus Moura seems a regular starter.
Well that started with Davies at LB who can also play CB so yeah that’s the wonky

and maybe Moura is a starter now... can’t quite work out if he is or isn’t

Back