• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Away from home we play with no fear"

Super spurs, not sure what religion or ethnicity really have to do with the support of the club?

I'm not sure I'd say the kind of people who live in Chelsea are the kind of people who would be at Stamford Bridge on a regular basis chanting. London is over 50% non white British. Contrary to all the hysteria about immigration, this is a huge part of the reason this city is one of the most interesting places in the world, as well as keeping this country relevant and with a half decent economy. Unsurprisingly, not all of those 55% or so non White British have come to live in Tottenham.

Holloway and West Ham (as you admitted) are both incredibly multi-ethnic areas (the former also has a large student population who don't give a **** about Arsenal) and this hasn't stopped Blacks, Jews, Asians, Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims etc etc from also following those clubs.

As an aside, the **** shouting abuse at the wrong striker and the majority of the idiots abusing Bentley were white. Not really sure what relevance colour or religion has to the debate about our atmosphere though so didn't mention it.

You clearly dont understand.
I have been s Spurs fan for yonks....I have seen Tottenham change radically. Yes some ethnic fans do go to football allthough if you look at the crowd 95% are white English.
Tottenham has more ethnics than any coutry on the Planet!

Therefore Tottenham has changed out of all recognition over the years and do not have any real local support. Go around Tottenham and ask the people..if they
can understand English!......if they are interested or support Spurs. You will be lucky to find one in a hundred. Years ago when Spurs last had a really great side the atmosphere

at White hart Lane was Magic..and we had The Angels.........LOL...shame its all gone now...not an once of Local support exists anymore!

I've actually been banging on about this point for a while. The weird thing is it really has only gone like this in the last few seasons.

I think the 2nd half collapses in Harry's last two seasons began the trend and ironically I think the fact that Spurs have a competitive side now and are challengers with expectations has led to an increase in nervousness around the place, but the home atmostphere noticeably dissintegrated during Harry's last season and I think it does contribute to our poor home performances.

All away sides are told to try and keep it tight and get the home fans on the teams back. It gives you confidence as an away player to hear groans and moans from the home fans. We are getting on top of the team and getting knarky with the team from the first whistle and we are very quiet until we are comfortably 1 or 2 goals up.

I think our atmosphere is particularly toxic for a club that is actually performing (currently having our best start to a PL season), but i'd say the atmosphere at the ground and on forums, twitter and message boards is more akin to a club that might be rooted to the bottom and getting thumped every week.

I've said for ages that you can visibly see the opposition gain confidence from the atmosphere at WHL and you can also see Spurs players get nervous, like when wingers get the ball they're visibly worried about making a mistake and are more likely to pass to a team-mate or check back than go at the full back or risk putting a cross or shot in.

The performances have not been half as bad as being made out.

If there isn't a difference in the score-lines then there is a definate difference in the away performances. You say for example that the Cardiff result was lucky as it was last-minute, but the reality is we did play with a freedom in that game and created an absolute tonne of chances. We actually played very good football in that game from start to finish and the goal that eventually won it was a beauty.

The first Half of the villa game was the exact same as the West Ham. Identical performance. I just dont buy AVBs argument that we play better away because of the crowd.
Nowrich at home we played great.
I think we play pretty much the same home and away (ignoring nonsence european and league cup games).

I think the issue away is the opposition don't sit back as often (Cardiff definitely didnt) and if performances are down to anything they are down to that not the ****ing crowd.

If its really a huge issue AVB should send the players out with their ears blocked up so they cant hear **** instead of whining about paying fans to SKY and MOTD.

I have been s Spurs fan for yonks....I have seen Tottenham change radically. Yes some ethnic fans do go to football allthough if you look at the crowd 95% are white English.

Therefore Tottenham has changed out of all recognition over the years and do not have any real local support. Go around Tottenham and ask the people..if they
can understand English!......if they are interested or support Spurs. You will be lucky to find one in a hundred. Years ago when Spurs last had a really great side the atmosphere

at White hart Lane was Magic..and we had The Angels.........LOL...shame its all gone now...not an once of Local support exists anymore!

Perhaps it's people like you who spout nonsense that make the news and scare off these fans who are visibly not Caucasion?

And it is bull because I know a lot of the Turkish diaspora who have lived in the area since the early 70s who will go to games - they go to the mosque when necessary, it's not a dilemma on match days (oooh, must go to the mosque, but we have a game!!!!)

How about the Jewish people who prefer to go to the synagogue? Have you noticed them too or are they not brown enough for you to make the same analysis?

Face it; Spurs fans who lived in or around the area have moved out. A lot reside (like me) in Enfield, Essex or around that area. There are some who still live in Tottenham but it's likelier the population now have no affinity with the club - tis the way it is. Football is not the be all and end all anymore (let's face it, Sky have killed any sort of coherent local love for your local club).

Additionaly, the prices are sky-high. Tottenham residents are probably still living there for economic reasons - football is probably least of their priorities. Look at the goons - a lot of their fans travel in from Hertfordshire - and they're based in Islington FFS!!!

I grew up in Wood Green in the 70's and 80's and the fans of the club were so mixed you wouldn't believe it. It's a global game now - blame football and technology.

WTF is an ethnic?

One of the disadvantages of playing Sundays is the fact that the other teams have played already, more often than not, the top teams win which adds to the anxiety if 40-60 minutes goes by and we aren't winning. Puts even more pressure on the team.

That is an excellent point.

Out of interest, how many season tickets do we have at the Lane?

I went to 2 consecutive games last term using my mate's ST and did not see the same people around me at both games.

I went on my own and they were afternoon games and I was sober. TBH I felt a bit embarrased about singing. It felt a bit like being in church at a funeral and you don't want to be the loud voice when they ask you to sing the hymns.

In the old days you went with your mates and the signing was what it was all about.

Last edited:

81388-newb-seeks-bolt-lambo-door-kit-803anigif_not_sure_if_ser-gif

I went to 2 consecutive games last term using my mate's ST and did not see the same people around me at both games.

I went on my own and they were afternoon games and I was sober. TBH I felt a bit embarrased about singing. It felt a bit like being in church at a funeral and you don't want to be the loud voice when they ask you to sing the hymns.

In the old days you went with your mates and the signing was what it was all about.

This. Used to head over with a group of mates and get tanked up all afternoon ahead of a Saturday afternoon 3pm kick off and we'd be sat together then have a good sing along.

Nowadays it's a struggle to even a pair of seats together for most games and the cheapest pair of seats on StubHub for the Barcodes game currently are £130 each (+ 12% commission) which is still a heck of a lot cheaper than they were for the Chavski game.

Hopefully matters will improve when we finally move into that fabled 60,000 capacity ground up the road... [-o<

THST chairman discusses AVB’s attack and the atmosphere at White Hart Lane - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Journal
Andre Villas-Boas’ concerns over the atmosphere at White Hart Lane are shared by the club’s hierarchy, who are discussing various steps to improve the mood, says the joint chairman of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, Darren Alexander.

...“He’s representing the players, he’s representing the club,” he said. “I don’t think anyone can really argue with the fact that the atmosphere at White Hart Lane has been declining over the course of the last three, four or five years. We heard whispers around Christmas that the players had turned round to somebody and said they didn’t enjoy playing at White Hart Lane any more. I think, later on, Brad Friedel and Michael Dawson went on the record as saying something similar - and these aren’t the sort of players to make those comments on their own. They would be speaking on behalf of other people. If you remember, Clint Dempsey also said something similar.

“I think the problem is a whole combination of things – it’s ticket prices, games being moved from their original times for a multitude of reasons. All the season ticket-holders are getting older too - the average age of season ticket-holders at White Hart Lane is 42 or 43 now - and the youngsters are being priced out. For a family to be able to go to a league game you’re talking a minimum of £200, not including travel for a day out.

“But I think one of the greater reasons is the expectation on the players. In the 1990s when we had people like Gerry Francis, George Graham and Christian Gross, there was no expectation. We knew that if we were going to the football to have a good time then we would have to create that good time. Now, from the very first home game of the season - and it can be against Hull or Swansea or Norwich - you realise that one mistake in a game like that could be the difference, 38 games later, of qualifying for the Champions League and not qualifying. Ultimately that puts a lot of pressure on the players’ shoulders.

“When we play away from home they seem to play with a lot of freedom. We create more chances, the away fans sing more and there seems like a greater togetherness between the players and the away fans. They run to us when they score.”

THST is involved in discussions with the club about the mood at home games, while an ‘atmosphere group’ consisting of fans, the club’s supporter liaison manager Jonathan Waite and representation from the Football Supporters’ Federation is also engaged in finding solutions. Various suggestions are being considered.

“The atmosphere at White Hart Lane is something that we’re working on with the club and with some of the other fans’ groups,” said Alexander. “At the moment we’re looking at banners and flags, and surfing flags to go over the Park Lane end. It’s little things.

"There are older fans who turn around and say ‘we don’t want flags and we don’t want song sheets’. First of all we’d never do song sheets, we would never do anything that organised, that forced. Everything that we would do has got to be done in such a way that it seems organic.

“We’re looking at pre-match music - something to build up to more of a crescendo. Some people have said ‘it would be great if we could sing Can’t Smile Without You before a game the way the Kop sing You’ll Never Walk Alone. I tend to agree with the club, that it’s not that much of an anthem - it’s a great song, but it’s not an anthem. But we’re saying to the club ‘let’s try these things’. We’ll try a couple of times and maybe we’ll say ‘this doesn’t work’. The key thing is that the club do agree with Andre, that the atmosphere has deteriorated - and they are prepared to work with us on it.

“In fact we’ve been asking about a surfer flag since we took over the trust in February. It wasn’t until we met with the club last Monday night that [Tottenham’s executive director] Donna Cullen mentioned how good the surfing flags looked in the home end at Aston Villa last Saturday. She remarked that it’s something Joe Lewis has expressed an interest in, because he feels for the foreign TV market you’ve got to have something visually expressive and visually stunning. Now if Joe Lewis is behind it, who are we to say ‘hold on a minute, no’? Ultimately he’s the man who owns the club. If he’s interested in the atmosphere and getting involved - not directly but through the club - I think that can only be a good thing.”

Everyone associated with Tottenham is now waiting to see how the home fans respond when they return to White Hart Lane on Wednesday night, with Spurs hosting Hull City for the second time in four days – this time in the Capital One Cup. One of the things that will help on Wednesday is that The Fighting **** and the 1882 movement have got their block – or blocks - so that’s going to help to a degree,” said Alexander. "The club also told us yesterday that there are going to be a lot of school kids in the ground - it’s half-term.

“Hopefully it will be a bit more of an open game. There will be changes to the team and hopefully the people who will come in like [Erik] Lamela and [Christian] Eriksen will try to take the opportunities that are given to them, and hopefully it will be a better game. I don’t think there will be a backlash against AVB - I hope there won’t.”

A good read. Nice to see that someone is trying to do something about it, at least. And why the hell can't we make "Can't Smile Without You?" an anthem? Just ****ing do it. It's a good song, works as an anthem, doesn't have a to be a 40 year old tradition for it to work. Let's start a tradition.

"One of the things that will help on Wednesday is that The Fighting (ock and the 1882 movement have got their block – or blocks - so that’s going to help to a degree,”

Block J. Sold out.
Anyone that hasn't done an 1882 game is missing out.
1882 will also be doing Anzhi - will let you all know what block asap.

"Joe Lewis has expressed an interest in, because he feels for the foreign TV market you’ve got to have something visually expressive"

It was going well up to that point.

A very positive and mature response to AVB's comments from the Trust. I thought AVB's remarks would get him in trouble, but I think most fans have actually taken them as fair comment and resolved to fix the problem rather than attack the manager. Whether those grumpy 45 year olds who go to games feel the same way I'm not so sure.

The thing I'd like to hear most at WHL is one of those mad Turkish style chants that are just basically organised shouting. They're fierce.

the best way to improve the atmosphere is to sell off a couple of our better players, that'll drop us down to mid table and the atmosphere will come back as the pressure will be off and not winning every game won't be the absolute ****ing season ending disaster that it is at the minute

we'll be able to enjoy the football rather than biting our nails and tearing our hair out whilst checking our phones for the nomads score

Back