• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Also a massive positive I've never seen the flat so clean, the Mrs has over the past 2 days had a massive clear out and tidy up, makes a fudging change

Don't think I am belittling this virus. The way it spreads, and the way it likely persists in humans even when they are not suffering severe symptoms allowing them to pass it on, makes it a highly dangerous virus. But I wouldn't be surprised if the mortality rate in reality is close to typical flu viruses. What is different is how easily Corona spreads as outlined. Even a small percentage of say half the population is a huge number of people.

While the government has to scare people to get action, the media seems so death focused its almost turned into a cult!

"Social distancing" is not a great term and must affect people's mental health, as must any form of news. 'Physical distancing' would be a better term. Using digital media we can be social, supportive, connected. We need physical distancing.

Was the stat, 90% of people over 80 who get Coronavirus recover? Is that correct?

Don't think I am belittling this virus. The way it spreads, and the way it likely persists in humans even when they are not suffering severe symptoms allowing them to pass it on, makes it a highly dangerous virus. But I wouldn't be surprised if the mortality rate in reality is close to typical flu viruses. What is different is how easily Corona spreads as outlined. Even a small percentage of say half the population is a huge number of people.

While the government has to scare people to get action, the media seems so death focused its almost turned into a cult!

"Social distancing" is not a great term and must affect people's mental health, as must any form of news. 'Physical distancing' would be a better term. Using digital media we can be social, supportive, connected. We need physical distancing.

Was the stat, 90% of people over 80 who get Coronavirus recover? Is that correct?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-rate-puzzles-experts?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Looks interesting.

Looking at the number of people on here with symptoms and number of people around who have a cough or similar symptoms, it seem like it is widespread. Which is good news in terms of the mortality figure - it is likely a lot lower. But bad news if trying to contain it.

However, what is happening with health care workers? Science doesn't understand it, but it seems like more exposure to the virus, makes it more deadly? Or are they working themselves hard and therefore experience a higher rate of complications?

I find the news media OTT. I know they have to report it. But the focus is always on the sensational stories - the nurse crying because the supermarket shelves are empty - then telling everyone not to panic buy! It's like having rolling supermarket advertising. Who would want to be caught short? Panic buying is a media creation, and they don't seem to get that the more they bang on, the more people stock up.

Looks interesting.

Looking at the number of people on here with symptoms and number of people around who have a cough or similar symptoms, it seem like it is widespread. Which is good news in terms of the mortality figure - it is likely a lot lower. But bad news if trying to contain it.

However, what is happening with health care workers? Science doesn't understand it, but it seems like more exposure to the virus, makes it more deadly? Or are they working themselves hard and therefore experience a higher rate of complications?

I find the news media OTT. I know they have to report it. But the focus is always on the sensational stories - the nurse crying because the supermarket shelves are empty - then telling everyone not to panic buy! It's like having rolling supermarket advertising. Who would want to be caught short? Panic buying is a media creation, and they don't seem to get that the more they bang on, the more people stock up.
Having to work double shifts must be diminishing their immune systems plus there’s evidence that the virus can be transmitted as an aerosol from the flushing of faeces in patient toilets plus the staff are being exposed in the rooms where they remove their protective gear.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces/

This week, in another preprint, researchers based in Wuhan published data on aerosols gathered from hospitals and areas around the region. For the most part, the air was clear; places like the hospital intensive care unit they tested were essentially virus-free. But in some areas, they found higher concentrations: in a staff area for example, for example, where doctors and nurses were frequently removing protective gear, and in a mobile toilet for patients.

They point to findings in Singapore from a group of researchers at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases, in which a small study involving Covid-19 patients in a hospital there found significant viral shedding in patients’ fecal samples. While that study didn’t find an airborne virus, the Wuhan researchers argue it’s plausible that in the Chinese hospital, toilet flushes could have sent particles into the air.

everyone is starting to shut down now. Won't be long until we are on lock down (well i will probably still have to go to work.). The government have been light with people and allowing them to have a certain amount of freedom in return for using some common sense but we can't even do that, so now we have fudged it up and will be forced to stay at home. I hope they hand out big punishments for people who do not abide by the rules otherwise this will never work. The UK is full of ignorant people and i think this virus has shown the good side of people but has also shown that there are a lot of selfish clams in this country.

Back