• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Real issue is probably none of Winks, Dier, Sissoko should be first choice midfielders for us, do a job, fill a role, etc but not first choice for a team with ambition at top level.

Fact is most of us would swap Wolves midfield pair from yesterday for any of the above trio
Can but hope that Ndombele proves to be that progressive midfield link we’re lacking once he gets up to UK pace...

D934E4EF-2844-4A9B-9673-A0C8C28915F5.png 928981C4-B399-44EB-8F90-4CD2E63B409F.png

Thought he was very good yesterday, particularly positionally - he was basically where you want him to be at all times.

The partnership with Sissoko just doesnt work, and I think a lot of the backwards passing and inviting of pressure was because of that.

Put him with someone more press resistant and progressive and Wolves arent quite so bold in their pushing up IMO - and then Dier gets to play some passes too...

If he was so good positionally then how do you explain Jenas analysis last night? He pointed out loads of times he didn't move into space.

If he was so good positionally then how do you explain Jenas analysis last night? He pointed out loads of times he didn't move into space.
Jenas was solely talking about with the ball, he didn’t even touch on the defensive aspect of it (and also left out the times Dier did pass forward as highlighted by the stats board further up). I don’t think 1 single person has been championing his passing yesterday, but they have commented on his defensive positioning, tackles, headers won, etc.

So Doer has as many successful passes as Neves... wouldn’t have guessed that

Neves and Dier not actually that dissimilar.

So if Sissoko could play like Moutinho we would be laughing!

I was thinking primarily defensively, he was always in the right place to cover/support/intercept etc.

Though he was also in good positions to receive the ball a lot - I think Jenas' criticism was more the second phase aspect. IE - receive the pass, lay off, and then move to receive again.

Also, Dier could have EASILY intercepted Jiminez before their goal, if he'd only bothered to move his fat ass! He just casually strolled back, and only upped his pace a little bit when it was already too late. Shocking!
He remains the weakest link in our team, by miles, but is being played by default.
You saying he should have taken him out??
He'd have had to from that angle. Even if he gets the ball it would be a foul and probably a yellow.

Kandi is right, Dier and Aurier jogged, then ran, then sprinted when it was too late. They expected Sanchez et al to deal with it, but he felt vulnerable and backed off for a second, then Dier reacts too late. This is often the case with goals conceded though... "if only that player who was knackered from sprinting around for an hour had sprinted once more to make the tackle earlier, everything would have been fine"

Dier can not be an integral part of our midfield going forward, his immobility aside, he keeps giving the ball away, unless of course he is passing the ball backward.

....embarrassing these days now..sad to see...but symptomatic of our club and its inability to not shoot-itself-in-the-foot in terms of proper planning and active squad-building...

How can we get to a point where we have NO central midfielder who can act as a better defensive midfielder than either Dier or Wanyama? You'd think that position would be the easiest to get a player for...heck even that Colombian guy Barrios would look like prime Roy Keane for us right now in comparison..

Yeah he's done as a midfielder. Utterly fudging awful today. Looked like a third rate centre back playing in midfield.

First thing a midfielder has to do is look ahead of him and see if anything is on. Dier doesn't do that a lot of the time, he just plays pointless backwards passes.

I can't lie I just don't see it with Dier. Back in 2017 yeah I thought he was a decent player although some of my friends of rivals clubs always criticised him. When we brought in Wanyama I saw a very obvious improvement in quality, it wasn't debatable for my eyes. Now some years later he's back in the team and whatever quality he had at the time seems significantly diminished.

Playing him is better than the Sissoko/ Winks but that's just because he can just about do the basics. He does have reasonable positioning and he at least understands the demands of the role despite I'd argue lacking the mobility to do it well.

Where it fails is when paired with Sissoko. Its just bloody awful, they hide from the CBs passes, constantly pass back to the CBs and then point and tell them where to pass to [emoji58], are horrible under pressure and their passing range and execution is bloody laughable. Frankly it's a bottom half pairing.

I think we need a mobile DM and we need it quickly because I don't believe Jose trusts playing Ndombele with Dier due to the formers defensive lapses and lack of energy and Dier's lack of mobility.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I can't lie I just don't see it with Dier. Back in 2017 yeah I thought he was a decent player although some of my friends of rivals clubs always criticised him. When we bought in Wanyama I saw a very obvious improvement in quality, it wasn't debatable for my eyes. Now some years later he's back in the team and whatever quality he had at the time seems significantly diminished.

Playing him is better than the Sissoko/ Winks but that's just because he can just about do the basics. He does have reasonable positioning and he at least understands the demands of the role despite I'd argue lacking the mobility to do it well.

Where it fails is when paired with Sissoko. Its just bloody awful, they hide from the CBs passes, constantly pass back to the CBs and then point and tell them where to pass to [emoji58], are horrible under pressure and their passing range and execution is bloody laughable. Frankly it's a bottom half pairing.

I think we need a mobile DM and we need it quickly because I don't believe Jose trusts playing Ndombele with Dier due to the formers defensive lapses and lack of energy and Dier's lack of mobility.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Any decent side will close Sissoko and Dier down and force them to pass back to the defence. Neither can play on the turn and both are very limited in their passing.

I agree that Sissoko/Winks is a worse pairing and shouldn't be repeated and that we urgently need to sign someone to play alongside Ndombele.

Any decent side will close Sissoko and Dier down and force them to pass back to the defence. Neither can play on the turn and both are very limited in their passing.

I agree that Sissoko/Winks is a worse pairing and shouldn't be repeated and that we urgently need to sign someone to play alongside Ndombele.
I still think Dier and Ndombele or Dier and Winks has promise. We were desperate for more creativity and passing tempo in midfield yesterday, getting Eriksen in there as a desperation move is fine, but not a way to start games and he probably won't be around for long.

Some big decisions to be made, that imbalance needs fixing one way or another.

I still think Dier and Ndombele or Dier and Winks has promise. We were desperate for more creativity and passing tempo in midfield yesterday, getting Eriksen in there as a desperation move is fine, but not a way to start games and he probably won't be around for long.

Some big decisions to be made, that imbalance needs fixing one way or another.

I agree with you that they are the best options that we currently have and the lack of passing/creativity.

Dier is made to look worse when played alongside Sissoko because he plays deepest and his turning circle of an oil tanker is more of an issue. I've been doubtful of playing Ndombele there before because he would have less opportunity to get forward but some of his pirouettes yesterday had me rethinking that. Dier is a lot more comfortable patrolling the area in front of a deep playmaker.

Either way, a CM is a priority.

I agree with you that they are the best options that we currently have and the lack of passing/creativity.

Dier is made to look worse when played alongside Sissoko because he plays deepest and his turning circle of an oil tanker is more of an issue. I've been doubtful of playing Ndombele there before because he would have less opportunity to get forward but some of his pirouettes yesterday had me rethinking that. Dier is a lot more comfortable patrolling the area in front of a deep playmaker.

Either way, a CM is a priority.
Mourinho's spoken before about using a "disruptor" instead of a deeper "destroyer" - basically someone who chases further up the pitch, creating a press and forcing play wide. That then leaves his other midfielder in more space at the base of midfield where he has more time to orchestrate.

Mourinho's spoken before about using a "disruptor" instead of a deeper "destroyer" - basically someone who chases further up the pitch, creating a press and forcing play wide. That then leaves his other midfielder in more space at the base of midfield where he has more time to orchestrate.

I know. The problem is that Dier is forced into the orchestrator role when paired with Sissoko. He's not suited to it and Sissoko isn't suited to the disruptor role.

Back