• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I am hoping that now we have improved our squad with 3 very good players Eriksen will now stay and sign another contract.

My lad who is on another Spurs site and like me is a big fan of Eriksen has just sent me this from another member over there. IMO this is a great post.

I am pretty shocked by some of the negative comments on here about our most important player of recent years. Eriksen was run to the ground last season. So he pulls out of tackles which could injure him - bloody fantastic I say! If he didn't we would'nt be finishing top 4 or reaching a CL final - Kane, take note! It doesn't mean he doesn't work his arse off for the team or get very much stuck in.

Some people need to take a better look at what Eriksen does for this team. We all know that he is the number one assist maker in the PL over the last 5 years, even if he was only third last season with Hazard taking top spot. Hazard scores more goals, but Eriksen scores plenty and they tend to be bloody important ones too. But the bigger picture is that Hazard would struggle to play for Pochettino because he is only putting in a fraction of the effort Eriksen does, time and time again.

He may have the good sense to pull out of tackles which might seriously injure him, but it doesn't stop him making countless important tackles and interceptions because he reads the game so well and frankly runs his arse off. I exaggerate of course, you can count them - he made 41 successful tackles last season in the league, compared to Hazard's 14 (or Ozil's 20). He is always in the top percentile for distance covered and one of our most ardent pressers a la Poch. His total contribution to the team puts Hazard and Ozil to shame.

Since he joined us, if there was one player whose absence spelt trouble it was Christian. But sure let's want him out because he had the sheer audacity to suggest that after six seasons of brilliant service to the club he wants to try a new challenge and lifestyle abroad (besides new shiny players who haven't proved themselves in the PL are of course much better).

He has been the consummate professional throughout and he has never thrown his toys around or disrespected the club in any way, but let's get rid of the scoundrel now in case he jeopardises a new toy for us.

If a player chooses to refuse to sign a new contract and play a number of years earning a pittance compared to what he deserves, all to ensure that he keeps control of when he moves on, how can this be criticised? For me, if he signed better terms one year and then kicks up a fuss when we won't let him leave in the next window, that can and should be criticised. See Zaha last season. Eriksen, though, has been completely honest and respectful throughout.

If you want to compare european finals and how Hazard stepped up and Eriksen looked flat, perhaps you want to consider the work rate the two players showed over the season to get their teams there. Hazard is mercurial, I agree, but also a lazy bastard (does anyone think Christian would turn up at Madrid a stone overweight?). Eriksen had been forced to carry this team over a long gruelling season where he couldn't be rested but still out-ran and out-worked the vast majority of his team mates. He had run out of gas by the end, and it hurt him more than any of us.

Eriksen couldn't get a rest all season, by contrast Hazard regularly took them even during matches.

And of course Eriksen is bloody upset right now because he really deserves his dream move, and anyone who understands football and actually looks at his stats compared to Hazard and Ozil should appreciate that. I feel for him, I really do. But should he stay and actually finally be given some competition for his place (and more importantly a rest from time to time) everything this player has ever done, week in, week out, for years, suggests he will keep giving his all for this team. Whether he signs a new deal or not.

I will be delighted for every additional season we get from a player that is already deserving of legendary status, and frankly deserves a lot more respect and appreciation

I agree with the overuse and I agree with the fatigue. However, he played his hand terribly. Let's be honest, unless he was tapped up by Barca and then stitched up outright, he has projected a dream onto a club who didn't want him and gone public with that prior to the biggest game in our history. Strange behaviour. And when the second choice didn't want him either, it left him in the weird space he sits in right now. I would hope he would now sign a deal with a reasonable release clause (50-60 mill if the Spaniards come in for him again). I suspect we will absolutely try to move him on during these last couple of weeks, but what a disruption to the squad??!!!!! I also don't believe he will go anywhere. And if he does wait for a free next summer, unless he breaks his own word and goes to City, I don't see things changing much...unless RM change managers. Which is quite a gamble.

I hope he can find some commitment on paper personally.

I hope he stays. Ideally signing a new contract, of course. But even if he doesn’t, and leaves on a free next year, I would imagine he’ll still be fully motivated this year by the need to prove his ability ahead of his last big move and contract next summer. So we should still get a good year out of him, whilst Lo Celso gets up to speed. And given the cheap transfer fee and wages we’ll have had him on for 7 years, on balance I can stomach losing him on a free.

I agree with the overuse and I agree with the fatigue. However, he played his hand terribly. Let's be honest, unless he was tapped up by Barca and then stitched up outright, he has projected a dream onto a club who didn't want him and gone public with that prior to the biggest game in our history. Strange behaviour. And when the second choice didn't want him either, it left him in the weird space he sits in right now. I would hope he would now sign a deal with a reasonable release clause (50-60 mill if the Spaniards come in for him again). I suspect we will absolutely try to move him on during these last couple of weeks, but what a disruption to the squad??!!!!! I also don't believe he will go anywhere. And if he does wait for a free next summer, unless he breaks his own word and goes to City, I don't see things changing much...unless RM change managers. Which is quite a gamble.

I hope he can find some commitment on paper personally.

I wouldn't doubt if Madrid tapped him up, think Perez would go for him, but he's not first choice for Zidane.

Listen, people don't get how this brick works in real life -> Rose, Dier, Toby all "almost" left in the last 2 seasons, they are professionals, they will get back to work and do their best.

I have no ill will against him.
He has handled his situation badly and he will probably suffer for that more than we will.
He wants to move on, we as a club and supporters need to as well.
But let's not paint him as irreplaceable, he's not, no one is.
I wish him well, except against us, and thank him for good times.

I have no ill will against him.
He has handled his situation badly and he will probably suffer for that more than we will.
He wants to move on, we as a club and supporters need to as well.
But let's not paint him as irreplaceable, he's not, no one is.
I wish him well, except against us, and thank him for good times.

He isn't gone just yet mate. Listen, we all need to accept

- Kane, Winks, Lloris, Son, Jan, Moura all seem to bleed for this club, either as homegrown or as players we gave opportunity to or who just grew into club (Jan). Wouldn't be suprised based on his welcome that Sessegnon will become one of those.

on the other hand

- Rose (& Walker), Toby, Dier, Eriksen have no real "connection" to the club, do they like it here = sure, have they given some of their best career years here = yes, will they be professional = yes, most of the time.

No resentment from me if Eriksen gets a Madrid/Barca move, if not, I expect him to put down his head and do his work.

True reflection will show Eriksen was a key player in our journey from "best of rest" to CL regulars, a real european prospect who took a chance on us and has delivered (stats not opions) amazingly for us.

He isn't gone just yet mate. Listen, we all need to accept

- Kane, Winks, Lloris, Son, Jan, Moura all seem to bleed for this club, either as homegrown or as players we gave opportunity to or who just grew into club (Jan). Wouldn't be suprised based on his welcome that Sessegnon will become one of those.

on the other hand

- Rose (& Walker), Toby, Dier, Eriksen have no real "connection" to the club, do they like it here = sure, have they given some of their best career years here = yes, will they be professional = yes, most of the time.

No resentment from me if Eriksen gets a Madrid/Barca move, if not, I expect him to put down his head and do his work.

True reflection will show Eriksen was a key player in our journey from "best of rest" to CL regulars, a real european prospect who took a chance on us and has delivered (stats not opions) amazingly for us.

Im fairness I think he 'bleeds' for us as well, just not as outwordly as others. He seems quite shy and introverted.
I can't blame him for wanting to move on, some people get stale and need a refresh every now and then, good luck to him if that's what he wants I genuinely hope it works out for him.
But I would question the wisdom of him staying here now, it's always going to be a second best option for him, even if that's only subconscious it will in my opinion affect his performance.
Make a clean break and get on with it with best wishes and no hard feelings. Sometimes it's just time to go, and it looks like this is his.

Im fairness I think he 'bleeds' for us as well, just not as outwordly as others. He seems quite shy and introverted.
I can't blame him for wanting to move on, some people get stale and need a refresh every now and then, good luck to him if that's what he wants I genuinely hope it works out for him.
But I would question the wisdom of him staying here now, it's always going to be a second best option for him, even if that's only subconscious it will in my opinion affect his performance.
Make a clean break and get on with it with best wishes and no hard feelings. Sometimes it's just time to go, and it looks like this is his.

By bleeds, let me clarify, no Kane like devotion to club (realize no one even talks about buying Kane, clear he has told agent for now, tell them fudge off). In no way do I believe Eriksen, Dier, Rose, Toby don't give everything for the club once they pull on the shirt.

Modric was disappointed and stayed one extra year and was immense for us, Zaha I'm sure will do his part for Palace, if Eriksen stays, I have no concerns about him feeling he's stuck, 2nd choice, all that. I think it was more he felt this was his one opportunity, right age, likely reasonable cost due to contract running down, etc. He's a Dane, so Spanish clubs mean more, hence his direction.

Now, year from now, or if he renews .. to your point, good luck to him.

My lad who is on another Spurs site and like me is a big fan of Eriksen has just sent me this from another member over there. IMO this is a great post.

I am pretty shocked by some of the negative comments on here about a storm trooper mutiny pal of recent years. Eriksen was run to the ground last season. So he pulls out of tackles which could injure him - bloody fantastic I say! If he didn't we would'nt be finishing top 4 or reaching a CL final - Kane, take note! It doesn't mean he doesn't work his arse off for the team or get very much stuck in.

Some people need to take a better look at what Eriksen does for this team. We all know that he is the number one assist maker in the PL over the last 5 years, even if he was only third last season with Hazard taking top spot. Hazard scores more goals, but Eriksen scores plenty and they tend to be bloody important ones too. But the bigger picture is that Hazard would struggle to play for Pochettino because he is only putting in a fraction of the effort Eriksen does, time and time again.

He may have the good sense to pull out of tackles which might seriously injure him, but it doesn't stop him making countless important tackles and interceptions because he reads the game so well and frankly runs his arse off. I exaggerate of course, you can count them - he made 41 successful tackles last season in the league, compared to Hazard's 14 (or Ozil's 20). He is always in the top percentile for distance covered and one of our most ardent pressers a la Poch. His total contribution to the team puts Hazard and Ozil to shame.

Since he joined us, if there was one player whose absence spelt trouble it was Christian. But sure let's want him out because he had the sheer audacity to suggest that after six seasons of brilliant service to the club he wants to try a new challenge and lifestyle abroad (besides new shiny players who haven't proved themselves in the PL are of course much better).

He has been the consummate professional throughout and he has never thrown his toys around or disrespected the club in any way, but let's get rid of the scoundrel now in case he jeopardises a new toy for us.

If a player chooses to refuse to sign a new contract and play a number of years earning a pittance compared to what he deserves, all to ensure that he keeps control of when he moves on, how can this be criticised? For me, if he signed better terms one year and then kicks up a fuss when we won't let him leave in the next window, that can and should be criticised. See Zaha last season. Eriksen, though, has been completely honest and respectful throughout.

If you want to compare european finals and how Hazard stepped up and Eriksen looked flat, perhaps you want to consider the work rate the two players showed over the season to get their teams there. Hazard is mercurial, I agree, but also a lazy bastard (does anyone think Christian would turn up at Madrid a stone overweight?). Eriksen had been forced to carry this team over a long gruelling season where he couldn't be rested but still out-ran and out-worked the vast majority of his team mates. He had run out of gas by the end, and it hurt him more than any of us.

Eriksen couldn't get a rest all season, by contrast Hazard regularly took them even during matches.

And of course Eriksen is bloody upset right now because he really deserves his dream move, and anyone who understands football and actually looks at his stats compared to Hazard and Ozil should appreciate that. I feel for him, I really do. But should he stay and actually finally be given some competition for his place (and more importantly a rest from time to time) everything this player has ever done, week in, week out, for years, suggests he will keep giving his all for this team. Whether he signs a new deal or not.

I will be delighted for every additional season we get from a player that is already deserving of legendary status, and frankly deserves a lot more respect and appreciation

Yeah, I get all that but... but... he agitated for a move... so let's get rid. :confused:

By bleeds, let me clarify, no Kane like devotion to club (realize no one even talks about buying Kane, clear he has told agent for now, tell them fudge off). In no way do I believe Eriksen, Dier, Rose, Toby don't give everything for the club once they pull on the shirt.

Modric was disappointed and stayed one extra year and was immense for us, Zaha I'm sure will do his part for Palace, if Eriksen stays, I have no concerns about him feeling he's stuck, 2nd choice, all that. I think it was more he felt this was his one opportunity, right age, likely reasonable cost due to contract running down, etc. He's a Dane, so Spanish clubs mean more, hence his direction.

Now, year from now, or if he renews .. to your point, good luck to him.

What I think makes his case different is that it's a trait he has, he's not moving like Modric to better things, or zaha to improve himself, he's doing it because it's his nature.
He has always said its what he would do, some people just need to keep things fresh, move to new challenges, I can totally understand it.

I am pretty shocked by some of the negative comments on here about a storm trooper mutiny pal of recent years. Eriksen was run to the ground last season. So he pulls out of tackles which could injure him - bloody fantastic I say! If he didn't we would'nt be finishing top 4 or reaching a CL final - Kane, take note! It doesn't mean he doesn't work his arse off for the team or get very much stuck in.

This post completely misses the point that people are making though and at the same time addresses it. Is it healthy for a team such as ours to rely so heavily on one player. Look at United for example. When Pogba doesn't play they don't win. Compare that with Liverpool's band of average interchangable midfielders. They can get dropped, rested, rotated with little disruption to the team because none of them are the fulcrum of the way the team plays. Whether he stays for life or not, the fact is that we as a club needed to move away from the situation where we are so reliant on his performances and to a more systematic structure. It's similar to the way the #10 position has all but died out as has the #4 'Makalele' type of the deep lying playmaker Pirlo type. Midfielders now are box to box, athletic can do everything to a high standard. It means teams can compete over the course of a long season, are more tactically adaptable and can mitigate the loss of players.

This post completely misses the point that people are making though and at the same time addresses it. Is it healthy for a team such as ours to rely so heavily on one player. Look at United for example. When Pogba doesn't play they don't win. Compare that with Liverpool's band of average interchangable midfielders. They can get dropped, rested, rotated with little disruption to the team because none of them are the fulcrum of the way the team plays. Whether he stays for life or not, the fact is that we as a club needed to move away from the situation where we are so reliant on his performances and to a more systematic structure. It's similar to the way the #10 position has all but died out as has the #4 'Makalele' type of the deep lying playmaker Pirlo type. Midfielders now are box to box, athletic can do everything to a high standard. It means teams can compete over the course of a long season, are more tactically adaptable and can mitigate the loss of players.

Bigger tactical discussion in there somewhere

- Liverpool gets away with average midfielders because that's their system, workhorses need to punt to a pacey front 3 that can all finish. They have just shifted the dependency to top.
- Fundamentally I agree, but I feel our Erisken problem has been 2X last season or so. 1 we are very dependent on him for creativity, 2 he hasn't has enough protection behind to give him more opportunity to be creative/attacking.
- Not sure I agree with "type of players" going away, if a player is WC or close enough at a certain role, clubs should/could build around that. Barca will not replace Messi, they will change how they play.

Makelele, Pirlo, etc of their prime would still walk on any side, as does Hazard who does fudge all defensively.

Bigger tactical discussion in there somewhere

- Liverpool gets away with average midfielders because that's their system, workhorses need to punt to a pacey front 3 that can all finish. They have just shifted the dependency to top.
- Fundamentally I agree, but I feel our Eriksen-sen-sen problem has been 2X last season or so. 1 we are very dependent on him for creativity, 2 he hasn't has enough protection behind to give him more opportunity to be creative/attacking.
- Not sure I agree with "type of players" going away, if a player is WC or close enough at a certain role, clubs should/could build around that. Barca will not replace Messi, they will change how they play.

Makelele, Pirlo, etc of their prime would still walk on any side, as does Hazard who does fudge all defensively.

Messi is a once in a generation talent. If you have a player who scores 40-50 goals then yeah build a side around him, but even for Argentina it doesn't work as they rely on him too much and in tournament football, relying on one player to turn up isn't a good strategy at all, all it takes is for him to have an off day and you're out of the competition. Hazard has shown that he can play in a system when he feels like it and can press with the best of them. Makelele, Pirlo, etc of their prime would still walk on any side of course, but you would never have a team set up in the way they used to be. Milan played in a NFL shotgun midfield to afford him time to play with Gattuso and Seedorf in front of him. Gattuso was more like he's minder than a midfielder. England tried a similar thing with Henderson and Gerrard which failed miserably.

As for Liverpool I agree, but shifting the dependency to 3 players instead of 1 increases the chances of success dramatically. Mane having a bad day? Cool just give it to Salah instead then. Closing down a front three for 90 mins is a hard hard task. Shutting down one midfielder is much easier. Look at the trouble Chelsea had last season trying to build a team around Jorginho. It's simply no longer an effective way of playing.

The fact that our midfield is likely to feature Ndombele, Sissoko, and Winks in it points to this change. Alli was playing deeper last season and Lo Celso can play deeper and higher up. That's 5 players right there who can play both ways.

Him leaving at this time next year is fine by me.

Him leaving this year is not. That would be leaving us weaker and stripping whatever depth Lo Celso would provide by forcing him into a starting role ASAP.

Im ambivalent about it tbh.
Getting myself ready for the disappointment of him leaving.

If he stays, he stays; if he goes, he goes. I suspect Levy will want a return on him ASAP, but CE holds the cards. He clearly has his sights set on Spain, and he's probably regretting not pursuing a move there earlier in his career now.

Well i do agree with some of that (Is it healthy for a team such as ours to rely so heavily on one player) no its not really but we have had little choice because he has been the main man for chances created. However we have now brought in players who seem to have the ability to do just that, this will take some of the pressure from Eriksen HAVING to be the player who has had to do this. On top of that we will be able to rotate him ( something we have not had chance to do before).

No matter what fans ( who may feel betrayed by him expessing a opinion) say he has been the one we have looked to over the last several seasons to create and also score when needed. I would love him to sign a new contract with us but if not i still want him here next season because no matter how betrayed some fans feel ( which IMO is a over reaction) he is a top player and with those we have added gives us a REAL chance to progress even further.

Back