• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I think he will not only stay, I think he will also sign a new contract. Forget all the media spin. Based on the only comments coming from Eriksen himself, he wants a new challenge (read: go to a Spanish CL club) or he will sign a new contract. There is no reason not to believe him. Zidane does not want him, and with the stories now surfacing about a possible move for Neymar, I think the chance that Eriksen will go to Real is well and truly gone. Barcelona have De Jong and Griezmann - I am pretty sure they are Eriksen's favourite destination (with the Ajax background and all) - but they do not appear to be interested. Preparing for the post-Messi era, they will be looking for younger players I feel. Atletico has just signed Felix, who may not be ready for the very top games yet, but does Eriksen want to go there? How long is Simeone going to be around for? It will definitely be a (another) rebuilding job, and probably a challenge for Atletico this year to compete with the top-2. Will he consider Sevilla or Valencia to be a step up for him? Surely not. I think Eriksen might just weigh up his options and sign until 2024 like Kane and Alli. Naive perhaps, but I get a feeling we will know for sure pretty soon.

And, just to add to that: Eriksen is a smart guy. He sees the predicament of players like Dybala, Bale, Pogba, who are not free to choose their next career-move. The increasing development of a top tier of, say, 15 superclubs (including us), means that for the very good players, options are limited. If he has been weighing up a move to either Real or Atletico, and it does not work out - always a possibility - he might end up in a similar situation.

When did he say he would sign a new contract?
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-eriksen-says-he-is-ready-for-a-new-challenge

“It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can’t set a date yourself. There aren’t many boxes that Tottenham don’t tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.”

Eriksen was asked whether he would seek to run down his contract. “That is difficult to say,” he replied. “It depends on the possibilities. If there are no exciting offers why shouldn’t I stay at Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract depends on the conditions.”

It's certainly an option he is keeping open, and he would be stupid not to. The phrase "it all depends on Daniel Levy" makes me quietly confident it could happen.

Well i do agree with some of that (Is it healthy for a team such as ours to rely so heavily on one player) no its not really but we have had little choice because he has been the main man for chances created. However we have now bought in players who seem to have the ability to do just that, this will take some of the pressure from Eriksen HAVING to be the player who has had to do this. On top of that we will be able to rotate him ( something we have not had chance to do before).

No matter what fans ( who may feel betrayed by him expessing a opinion) say he has been the one we have looked to over the last several seasons to create and also score when needed. I would love him to sign a new contract with us but if not i still want him here next season because no matter how betrayed some fans feel ( which IMO is a over reaction) he is a top player and with those we have added gives us a REAL chance to progress even further.

I can't understand why anyone is surprised our angry, he has always said he would leave.
I'm disappointed, I hoped he would fall in love with us, realise this is a great place to be and be happy.
But not everyone is like that and if he wants or feels he needs to move on then I wish him well and thank him for his help in getting us to where we are.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-eriksen-says-he-is-ready-for-a-new-challenge

“It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can’t set a date yourself. There aren’t many boxes that Tottenham don’t tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.”

Eriksen was asked whether he would seek to run down his contract. “That is difficult to say,” he replied. “It depends on the possibilities. If there are no exciting offers why shouldn’t I stay at Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract depends on the conditions.”

It's certainly an option he is keeping open, and he would be stupid not to. The phrase "it all depends on Daniel Levy" makes me quietly confident it could happen.

I didnt see that he went as far as that before.

Though I dont find it changes much for me, he has manufactured the scenario to leave, in the way most advantageous to him, and has stated how he wants to leave and do something new.

All well within his right, of course.

I just dont see how you come down from that, sign up and carry on as if nothing ever happened when it is clearly a second choice compromise position.

I would question his motivation and commitment, though of course he can prove that in time.

And given our business in the window, I actually question his place in the team.

I didnt see that he went as far as that before.

Though I dont find it changes much for me, he has manufactured the scenario to leave, in the way most advantageous to him, and has stated how he wants to leave and do something new.

All well within his right, of course.

I just dont see how you come down from that, sign up and carry on as if nothing ever happened when it is clearly a second choice compromise position.

I would question his motivation and commitment, though of course he can prove that in time.

And given our business in the window, I actually question his place in the team.

Hm, valid points, but I am not sure I agree with them. We have seen players climb down from rhetoric about wanting to leave ánd perform: Modric for us, Ziyech for Ajax, Griezmann for Atletico - all different in several respects to Eriksen now, but still. Also, with the options being increasingly limited for players at the very top, as I mentioned before, I think we might see more examples of this before too long (Pogba? Dybala for Juve?). Poch has shown himself to be open-minded about taking players wanting to leave (Alderweireld last year presumably, and others too perhaps (his "cherish the players who express a desire to leave"-comment)) back into the fold. And Lo Celso appears to be more a better Lamela (more running on the ball) than a new Eriksen (killer final pass). From what I have seen on YouTube, Lo Celso is not the king of assists that Eriksen is.

Again, maybe it is just hope and me being naive.

Last edited:
I can't understand why anyone is surprised our angry, he has always said he would leave.
I'm disappointed, I hoped he would fall in love with us, realise this is a great place to be and be happy.
But not everyone is like that and if he wants or feels he needs to move on then I wish him well and thank him for his help in getting us to where we are.

We are fans who love our club and most of us always will, sadly the vast majority of players are not that way, its a job and in all honesty i see nothing wrong with that. Most folks i have come across would change their employer if it was a better ( or they consider it to be) offer.

Having worked with pro players its a job to them not a love like it is with us fans, and although a lot of players will say they love the club they are playing for and their fans in most cases its just saying something those fans want to hear.

Now i am not saying Eriksen is as cold minded as some/most players are but it does strike me as wierd that a lot of fans think that players are here and love the club as much as we the fans do and when they leave or say they may feel betrayed by that player. Of course they are players who really love a club but in all honesty they are in the minority.

Last edited:
Hm, valid points, but I am not sure I agree with them. We have seen players climb down from rhetoric about wanting to leave ánd perform: Modric for us, Ziyech for Ajax, Griezmann for Atletico - all different in several respects to Eriksen now, but still. Also, with the options being increasingly limited for players at the very top, as I mentioned before, I think we might see more examples of this before too long (Pogba? Dybala for Juve?). Poch has shown himself to be open-minded about taking players wanting to leave (Alderweireld last year presumably, and others too perhaps (his "cherish the players who express a desire to leave-comment")) back into the fold. And Lo Celso appears to be more a better Lamela (more running on the ball) than a new Eriksen (killer final pass). From what I have seen on YouTube, Lo Celso is not the king of assists that Eriksen is.

The reason I think he will leave is that its an emotional need, its something he does to keep himself sane.
He wants a refresh, a different challenge. It's not about money, or glory etc, it's about his own wellbeing.
I hoped he'd grow out of it and settle down, especially now he's a dad, but it would seem not.

Hm, valid points, but I am not sure I agree with them. We have seen players climb down from rhetoric about wanting to leave ánd perform: Modric for us, Ziyech for Ajax, Griezmann for Atletico - all different in several respects to Eriksen now, but still. Also, with the options being increasingly limited for players at the very top, as I mentioned before, I think we might see more examples of this before too long (Pogba? Dybala for Juve?). Poch has shown himself to be open-minded about taking players wanting to leave (Alderweireld last year presumably, and others too perhaps (his "cherish the players who express a desire to leave-comment")) back into the fold. And Lo Celso appears to be more a better Lamela (more running on the ball) than a new Eriksen (killer final pass). From what I have seen on YouTube, Lo Celso is not the king of assists that Eriksen is.

Modric did so to earn a move to Madrid, not to settle in for the next 5 years. Completely different situation/mindset IMO. As you say yourself, so Im not sure what it really proves, they all moved on (or will). None were long term turn arounds.

I do believe Eriksen is a top player, Im a big fan and am making no attempt to talk him down as if he isnt that good.

I do agree with you that Poch is a pragmatist, and if it worked for the team he would make it work with the player.

My point is more, where/how does he fit? (IF he can stay, stay motivated, stay committed, and rebuild any burned bridges)

I believe (and could be wrong) we will be seeing NDombele and Lo Celso paired in CM, probably with Winks behind, creating a real engine room.

And allowing a Moura/Son/Kane type front 3 that can utterly destroy teams (not unlike Liverpool with Salah and co).

If we are to play Eriksen he really needs to be between the lines between Kane and the midfield. Thats space that is now otherwise occupied.

Do you play him in one of the forward 3? Id rather not personally.

Yes, he would add a lot of flexibility to the squad - but does anyone really see him as a squad player?

With the business we have done, and also the like of Alli to accomodate - it really starts to feel like a too many cooks situation to me.

We are fans who love our club and most of us always will, sadly the vast majority of players are not that way, its a job and in all honesty i see nothing wrong with that. Most folks i have come across would change their employer if it was a better ( or they consider it to be) offer.

Having worked with pro players its a job to them not a love like it is with us fans, and although a lot of players will say they love the club they are playing for and their fans in most cases its just saying something those fans want to hear.

Now i am not saying Eriksen is as cold minded as some/most players are but it does strike me as wierd that a lot of fans think that players are here and love the club as much as we the fans do and when the leave or say they may feel betrayed by that player. Of course they are players who really love a club but in all honesty they are in the minority.

Yeah I agree, most players that leave probably hold fond memories but that's it.

The reason I think he will leave is that its an emotional need, its something he does to keep himself sane.
He wants a refresh, a different challenge. It's not about money, or glory etc, it's about his own wellbeing.
I hoped he'd grow out of it and settle down, especially now he's a dad, but it would seem not.
No no, let's not be too naive. Of course it is about money. He wants a higher salary, especially seeing players around him like Kane and Alli getting a payrise, and new recruits like NDombele earning more than him (if you believe the figures doing the rounds). But Levy has shown this window that he is prepared to invest. Why would he not invest in a better contracts for one of our best and most loyal servants?

No no, let's not be too naive. Of course it is about money. He wants a higher salary, especially seeing players around him like Kane and Alli getting a payrise, and new recruits like NDombele earning more than him (if you believe the figures doing the rounds). But Levy has shown this window that he is prepared to invest. Why would he not invest in a better contracts for one of our best and most loyal servants?

Levy has tried and Eriksen has resisted, so don't think it's about the money. I really don't, he just does not seem to be money driven.

Now i am not saying Eriksen is as cold minded as some/most players are but it does strike me as wierd that a lot of fans think that players are here and love the club as much as we the fans do and when the leave or say they may feel betrayed by that player. Of course they are players who really love a club but in all honesty they are in the minority.

Far to many fans project their own emotional attachments and irrationalities on players, IMO.

usually the truth is, IMO, far more clinical and pragmatic.

By all accounts that is exactly what Levy has been doing the last couple of seasons, it is Eriksen who has resisted and created the situation we have now.

Bare in mind, Kane, Alli, Son, Lamela, Winks, and more, have all signed new deals. Clearly the offers being made arent bad at all otherwise we would have more players doing like Eriksen is.

Levy has tried and Eriksen has resisted, so don't think it's about the money. I really don't, he just does not seem to be money driven.

He has always come across as knowing even at only (!) £70k a week or whatever that he is a very lucky guy.

Always seemed modest and humble, for example I seem to recall an interview a few years back - he had a nice appartment, that was it. No mansion and all that nonsense, just enough to suit his needs...

I would be very much inclined to agree with your view, that this is a personal ambition/lifestyle/well being kind of motivation, and not money.

Modric did so to earn a move to Madrid, not to settle in for the next 5 years. Completely different situation/mindset IMO. As you say yourself, so Im not sure what it really proves, they all moved on (or will). None were long term turn arounds.

I do believe Eriksen is a top player, Im a big fan and am making no attempt to talk him down as if he isnt that good.

I do agree with you that Poch is a pragmatist, and if it worked for the team he would make it work with the player.

My point is more, where/how does he fit? (IF he can stay, stay motivated, stay committed, and rebuild any burned bridges)

I believe (and could be wrong) we will be seeing NDombele and Lo Celso paired in CM, probably with Winks behind, creating a real engine room.

And allowing a Moura/Son/Kane type front 3 that can utterly destroy teams (not unlike Liverpool with Salad and co).

If we are to play Eriksen he really needs to be between the lines between Kane and the midfield. Thats space that is now otherwise occupied.

Do you play him in one of the forward 3? Id rather not personally.

Yes, he would add a lot of flexibility to the squad - but does anyone really see him as a squad player?

With the business we have done, and also the like of Alli to accomodate - it really starts to feel like a too many cooks situation to me.

Ok, those I points I do broadly agree with, esp. the three-men engine room of Ndombele, Lo Celso, and Winks. We cannot play like that every week of course, with injuries and different tactical requirements, but still. How about putting Eriksen just before that engine room, and play Moura or Son (not both) alongside Kane? So 4-3-1-2, with Eriksen being the 1. I think that could work. Why copy Liverpool, who arguably have players who are better suited to play 4-3-3 as we have seen over the last two years? Why not invent something new to counter that? Plus: Poch just now in his press conference again talked about competition. I think that Alli and Eriksen (if he stays) might be competing for places, as well as being able to play together. In reality, over the last three years, they would always both be picked.

Admittedly, what Poch said in his presser just now about the deadlines in Europe being later than those in the PL points to Eriksen's continued hope of a transfer.

Actually, I don't think it is about money for Eriksen. I agree with @glasgowspur on this in that he simply wants to leave and play at the 'higher' level after Spurs, i.e. Barcelona, Madrid or maybe also the likes of Bayern/Juve, the kind of teams guaranteed trophies year in, year out and likely with a very good chance of CL glory year I, year out.
You mention the likes of Alli, Kane, Ndombele getting higher wages than him currently: the thing is they are mostly only on higher than him at present because HE has turned down the contract extensions that would have put him on those higher wages before those players got it.

If/when he leaves it wont be because he's not happy with Spurs money offers to him up to this point.

I am not saying that it is exclusively about money. Hence my emphasis on his awareness not to become the next Bale/Pogba/Dybala. But there's an offer on the table from us, and Eriksen is entitled to compare it to what others are prepared to offer him.

Ok, those I points I do broadly agree with, esp. the three-men engine room of Ndombele, Lo Celso, and Winks. We cannot play like that every week of course, with injuries and different tactical requirements, but still. How about putting Eriksen just before that engine room, and play Moura or Son (not both) alongside Kane? So 4-3-1-2, with Eriksen being the 1. I think that could work. Why copy Liverpool, who arguably have players who are better suited to play 4-3-3 as we have seen over the last two years? Why not invent something new to counter that? Plus: Poch just now in his press conference again talked about competition. I think that Alli and Eriksen (if he stays) might be competing for places, as well as being able to play together. In reality, over the last three years, they would always both be picked.

Admittedly, what Poch said in his presser just now about the deadlines in Europe being later than those in the PL points to Eriksen's continued hope of a transfer.

It could work, would really depend on how well they combined. And Dier, Skipp, Wanyama and Sissoko would also be looking to be involved at some point - so what I mean about too many cooks?

It feels much more like bending oneself in knots to accommodate the player than it actually being a designed and tactical way of setting up.

I am really, really in favour of that latter approach.

I want the squad to be a lean and focussed thing, and as Im looking at it Eriksen just seems to be the odd one out.

Im not saying it cant work. Rather I do really question his desire/committment, and I do really question if Poch has basically moved past needing Eriksen in the team (quite possibly BECAUSE of what Eriksen has been to us, a single point of weakness, and because of his clear intent to leave).

Liverpool? Im not a fan of how they play really, and I think their midfield is poor. Undeniably they are effective though. I do contest the idea they are better suited though.

Compare this:

..................firminho
.......mane...................salah
..................wilnaldum
..........hendersen......fabinho

to this:

....................kane
.......son.......................moura
...........lo celso....ndombele
....................winks

And I think not only are we better suited to doing similar, that we will evolve it past how Liverpool play.

Back