• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh I hope not! Whilst the atmosphere was better today (just got home) I was once again surrounded by tourists who spent most of the game taking selfies; the group of Korean ladies to my left only taking a break from doing so when Son scores and got subbed, when they tried to get a photo of their pinup instead.
Not too many tourists where I was sat, the passion was immense.

Considering that Son could’ve had a first half hat-trick and Kane plus Dele both missed fairly straightforward chances when we were 3-0 up, I’m slightly surprised that our eXpected Goals tally was only 4!

View attachment 5317
I'd imagine it just seems that way because Alli's and Kane's goals were both reasonably low xG chances.

Why can't we challenge City this year? It's five points...

Because our name doesn't begin with "L"?

But I agree, why not?
Last night was the one we've all been waiting for, the game when everything clicked and we are no longer saying 'we're not playing well, but we're still winning". If that's indicative of things to come then we will certainly be pushing them. 5 points is not a huge break away from the pack. One difference is that City, imo, would have put away more of those chances than we did. It didn't matter yesterday as we had goals to spare.
Increase the clinicalness (?) in front of goal and just be ready to take advantage when City and/or Liverpool slip up. The latter will, the former might.

But I agree, why not?
Last night was the one we've all been waiting for, the game when everything clicked and we are no longer saying 'we're not playing well, but we're still winning". If that's indicative of things to come then we will certainly be pushing them. 5 points is not a huge break away from the pack. One difference is that City, imo, would have put away more of those chances than we did. It didn't matter yesterday as we had goals to spare.
Increase the clinicalness (?) in front of goal and just be ready to take advantage when City and/or Liverpool slip up. The latter will, the former might.

I wasn't concerned by our lack of clinical finishing, because it's always been that way with us under Poch. Right from 14/15 onwards, we've always been very profligate with our finishing.

Even in those end-of-season romps in 16/17 with a peak Kane - we could actually have knocked those teams for cricket scores, we were creating that many chances. But our conversion rate tends to be quite low.

It might be a symptom of the way we (ideally) create chances in the first place - through the short, brutally quick counter-attack high up the pitch. Doesn't leave much time to think, and you have to be on the move all the time. No doubt that tires our players out within games, and maybe they're accordingly not as collected when the ball does fall to them.

I'm not sure why it is, but we've been doing it for ages, and it hasn't yet come back to bite us in any substantive way. So I'm not worried.

Isn't that the approach we took in many games against the bigger sides last season?

Not as often as I’d like, to my memory at least - not against Man C last season for example, where we ended up getting caned. I remember we did against Madrid, but then seem to revert to type.

What other games come to your mind last season?

Not as often as I’d like, to my memory at least - not against Man C last season for example, where we ended up getting caned. I remember we did against Madrid, but then seem to revert to type.

What other games come to your mind last season?

Liverpool and Dortmund were the other obvious occasions but there were more

Liverpool and Dortmund were the other obvious occasions but there were more

Yeah you’re right on those, which I guess just reinforces my occasional frustration when we focus on possession instead and get a worse outcome!

Never mind, no room for frustration after a day like yesterday. If we beat Inter and Arsenal too, what a week it will have been.

But I agree, why not?

I think in all honesty taking away the brilliance of pep, their incredibly talented squad, even the significant amount of net spend compared to ours.

Even from a point if we were level pegging with them, they get a far easier ride opponents wise than we do.

Consider our fingernail biting tight win at the taxpayer stadium and then compare that to the resistance the hammers offered up against city yesterday.

We have far more rivals and teams gunning for us than city do...

City's main rivals Utd have massively lost their way since Fergie, and two weeks ago at the etihad they just waved the white flag.

We have the goons, Watford, palace, spam chelscum all baying for our blood, not to mention an increased rivalry with the dippers that's intensified over the last few years.

What I'm saying is so many teams just seem to be rolling over for city, their main rivals are on the slide...then you add pep, the talent and ignorance to ffp ..

And I wonder....

How in the name of Greek buggery can we finish above them???

But it's nice to dream...

Pool can just fudge off, as Ryan mason eloquently put it yesterday...we usually always finish above them.

Oh I hope not! Whilst the atmosphere was better today (just got home) I was once again surrounded by tourists who spent most of the game taking selfies; the group of Korean ladies to my left only taking a break from doing so when Son scores and got subbed, when they tried to get a photo of their pinup instead.
Yea, my first game since old WHL and I was sitting in the middle tier, the club Wembley bit, but I wasn't club Wembley, if that makes any sense? The view was pretty much perfect, great seats, not that I sat down much, but it was half full near me and I was also surrounded by seemingly tourists or at least neutrals. Was a bit frustrating in a game like that. I thought the atmosphere was "ok", but I can only imagine what the atmosphere would have been like at old WhL in the same circumstances with 20k less fans, it would be bouncing!

Considering that Son could’ve had a first half hat-trick and Kane plus Dele both missed fairly straightforward chances when we were 3-0 up, I’m slightly surprised that our eXpected Goals tally was only 4!

View attachment 5317

It’s partly due to where the shots were taken from, Son took too many touches and moved too wide on one chance then shot to early on another when it was only Luiz between him and the goal.

He did a lot of good work and scored a great goal but should have handled some situations differently.

Yeah you’re right on those, which I guess just reinforces my occasional frustration when we focus on possession instead and get a worse outcome!

Never mind, no room for frustration after a day like yesterday. If we beat Inter and Arsenal too, what a week it will have been.

That suggests that it has been a tactical choice, although I would put the defeats to Liverpool and City earlier this season to poor form and fitness rather than approach.

In both those games we gave away early goals and struggled to get our game going but still could have got a draw in both. Yesterday we looked in top form and I hope we can carry this forward for the rest of the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that our play has looked better since Sissokos form has improved and his team mates have started to trust him.

I know loads that don’t rate him... their are still plenty who think who will say despite seeing Jorginho and Kovacavic get outplayed that their better than what we have as their new names and more glamourous ones

Mitrovic woud be good but he strikes me as a player that needs to play. He didn5 get games at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and suffered from it
Fair enough if you know those who don’t rate him mate. As for Mitrovic I think it’s more he’s matured than he simply needs games....

I was surprised how low the attendance was. I mean, I know the Wembley factor has kicked in, but I was still expecting upwards of 70k.

Fair enough if you know those who don’t rate him mate. As for Mitrovic I think it’s more he’s matured than he simply needs games....

He is only 24 still
He needs games which I’m not convinced he would get with us
But who knows how Poch would rotate if he had a more able deputy than Lampost

What a game last night. Everyone were brilliant, bar Foyth who's a bit too eager at times. He still put in a good shift, but needs to learn to be more cautious in the box.

Anyway, wow, we clicked. It did show that we were finally playing our best men up front, those four together are just lethal! So many positives. Sissoko again! Aurier was superb too, even defensively. Eriksen and Alli both excellent. Sonny on fire. Kane scoring from outside the box again.

Still hungover and smiling today. :D

Back