• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Not really, I think its a marginal change at best.

So you flash your passport or ID, so what?
Your main concern is staying part of the UK so any restriction is problematic to begin with and if its a restriction that you don't have with Ireland its even more problematic. Going around in circles here so will stop but if I had their goals the boarder would be a huge issue, I don't so I think it would be fine to have the boarder on the Irish seas. Regardless it wont be during this parliament due to the lack of decisive leadership in the Tories.

I just dont really see the difference.

If Im Irish, I am still part of Britain, still freely travel around it at will, still get to go into the ROI if I choose, still have all the benefits and perks I do now.

The difference? I need to have some ID that proves I should have all of the above. Its hardly a big or even meaningful change.

I just dont really see the difference.

If Im Irish, I am still part of Britain, still freely travel around it at will, still get to go into the ROI if I choose, still have all the benefits and perks I do now.

The difference? I need to have some ID that proves I should have all of the above. Its hardly a big or even meaningful change.

Eire citizens can do that too - because of the 1923 common travel area.

All Brexit should really change is EU26 citizens have to go in the rest of world queue instead of the UK/EU (in future UK/Eire) one.

All Brexit should really change is EU26 citizens have to go in the rest of world queue instead of the UK/EU (in future UK/Eire) one.

Exactly.

I have always found it odd when I have encountered Republicans in Ireland who all travel freely here. I am on there side for home rule and I thought that even before I meet my Irish wife.

It is almost as simple as that for people movement. Just show your passport at the port or airport and cheerio.

Goods are a little different and more complicated as their 'origin' can be manipulated by the unscrupulous.
There is a benefit to NI in that goods originating in the republic or from Europe transported via the republic will in effect be tariff free. And similarly the reverse is also true for goods produced in NI when selling them down south. The UK mainland won't have that option.

It is almost as simple as that for people movement. Just show your passport at the port or airport and cheerio.

Goods are a little different and more complicated as their 'origin' can be manipulated by the unscrupulous.
There is a benefit to NI in that goods originating in the republic or from Europe transported via the republic will in effect be tariff free. And similarly the reverse is also true for goods produced in NI when selling them down south. The UK mainland won't have that option.

I agree that there could be some good benefits for NI with regard to trade and tariffs. I think that some Unionists are freaked out about having to show a passport to move around within the UK, which is a bit daft, I already use mine on domestic flights as you have to show ID to get on any flight.

Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I voted remain in the Brexit referendum, but I am a Unionist, just not a DUP one.

I have to laugh at some of the "experts" (not Rorschach) on here who think all Unionists are Bible wielding, DUP voting, anti-gay rights, pro-life campaigners, living in shanty towns in the supposedly most impoverished part of the UK without a pot to tinkle in! :D

Apart from the above mentioned bible fanatics, the rest of the DUP vote comes from people voting to keep Sinn Fein out. The Sinn Fein voters do the same thing. If the SDLP got their act together and became a force on the Nationalist side again the Shinners vote would drop and so in turn would the DUP's. Fine Gael have threatened to stand in NI and that would be a good thing as well.

Maybe a way out is to make passports compulsory on all domestic flights and at ferry ports. Apply the same rules to intercity, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Shetland etc. Then we get the Irish Sea border but NI isn't treated differently to the rest of the UK.

I agree that there could be some good benefits for NI with regard to trade and tariffs. I think that some Unionists are freaked out about having to show a passport to move around within the UK, which is a bit daft, I already use mine on domestic flights as you have to show ID to get on any flight.

I voted remain in the Brexit referendum, but I am a Unionist, just not a DUP one.

I have to laugh at some of the "experts" (not Rorschach) on here who think all Unionists are Bible wielding, DUP voting, anti-gay rights, pro-life campaigners, living in shanty towns in the supposedly most impoverished part of the UK without a pot to tinkle in! :D

Apart from the above mentioned bible fanatics, the rest of the DUP vote comes from people voting to keep Sinn Fein out. The Sinn Fein voters do the same thing. If the SDLP got their act together and became a force on the Nationalist side again the Shinners vote would drop and so in turn would the DUP's. Fine Gael have threatened to stand in NI and that would be a good thing as well.

What happened to the Ulster Unionists? They were always the moderate unionists

Yes it seems to me that NI would attract a lot of inward investment from the mainland UK if it remained the only tariff free part of the UK, effectively still part of the customs union. Surely it is an opportunity be grabbed, not ignored because of the symbolism it represents to some.

The rise of Sinn Fein. The original parties post GFA were the Ulster Unionists and the SDLP. Then Sinn Fein and the DUP carved it up between themselves along sectarian lines.

Exactly.

I have always found it odd when I have encountered Republicans in Ireland who all travel freely here. I am on there side for home rule and I thought that even before I meet my Irish wife.

Don’t let the fact that the majority of people in NI want to remain part of the UK - including plenty of Catholics - stand in the way of Irish unity. Nor the fact that the ROI couldn’t afford to take on the money-hole that is NI.

The Ulster Unionists and the SDLP were, having helped to deliver peace, shafted by the Blair government who bent over backwards to appease the DUP and Sinn Fein.

I'm not sure who has said that tbh. The only people I've seen described in that way are the DUP politicians (though not the shanty town part!)

The more I see of this, the more I'm convinced of what a shower of brick Brexit is. Surely those planning an exit vote could foresee the complications? Why wasn't all of this war gamed before the vote was called? I'll bet that most pro Brexit supporters, even the UKIP types failed to fully appreciate these difficulties. The Tories really are totally incompetent. This could get scary with the headmistress and blonde clown in charge.

The more I see of this, the more I'm convinced of what a shower of brick Brexit is. Surely those planning an exit vote could foresee the complications? Why wasn't all of this war gamed before the vote was called? I'll bet that most pro Brexit supporters, even the UKIP types failed to fully appreciate these difficulties. The Tories really are totally incompetent. This could get scary with the headmistress and blonde clown in charge.

most of the problems were highlighted before the vote, many were just ignored as "project fear"

Does Brexit not need to happen because it is difficult, not because it is easy? Our democracy should never have got into such a decadent place that it basically outsourced everything to the interests of international capital and their agents. If it was easy to untangle from the EU, there'd be less reason to do it.

Back