• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

You pay a premium for home grown and already PL acclimated as well.

Just as you do for trying to buy from the PL, all the clubs are flush.

Which is why we should be looking elsewhere rather than ponying up a premium price for a non premium player - it's madness really, 60 bloody million quid for Zaha, a player that hasnt excelled anywhere really, he's just been good in a struggling side. Compare Mahrez' output to his, that's what you want to be bringing in for that kind of money. Zaha is a 30m player even in this heightened market

Which is why we should be looking elsewhere rather than ponying up a premium price for a non premium player - it's madness really, 60 bloody million quid for Zaha, a player that hasnt excelled anywhere really, he's just been good in a struggling side. Compare Mahrez' output to his, that's what you want to be bringing in for that kind of money. Zaha is a 30m player even in this heightened market

I think "just been good in a struggling side" does him a disservice, he has become a real leader in that team and carried them to safety. Proper big game/big player stuff.

But, it is what it is. A lot of money, I dont disagree. I just dont care that much. He is 40-50m pretty comfortably in todays market, as ridiculous as that is. If we have to pay OTT to get the player Poch really wants* then its fine by me.

It seems the whole home grown factor is an issue for us as well, which limts the pool of players we have to choose from.

*assuming that might be the case.

i can't say i agree mate tbh, i do like him as a player and think he would be a useful option for us but for the money being quoted i can't help but think there must be a long list of players more proven and with a higher ceiling that we could get from elsewhere - essentially he's a tricky wide forward at a mid table side with an output of about 15 combined goals/assists a season.

different positions entirely but Arsenal bought Aubameyang, one of the leading Bundesliga players over several seasons proven in a top tier league and in the CL, for a similar price - we take that money abroad and we get a genuine top tier player, that's my argument against it

Then... like who?

From what I can see we struggle to get players in at that level. Would Aubameyang have joined us? I suspect not.

We need next level players, but dont yet offer the kudos or wages to attract them.

So we are permanently caught in the cycle of looking for potential next level players, who often cost as much (or near) in fees but are affordable on wages and willing to join.

I cant argue, in general £60m gets you a lot - but specifically for Spurs?

£40m got us a rookie defender last year.

Then... like who?

From what I can see we struggle to get players in at that level. Would Aubameyang have joined us? I suspect not.

We need next level players, but dont yet offer the kudos or wages to attract them.

So we are permanently caught in the cycle of looking for potential next level players, who often cost as much (or near) in fees but are affordable on wages and willing to join.

I cant argue, in general £60m gets you a lot - but specifically for Spurs?

£40m got us a rookie defender last year.

our wage budget is 6th highest in the richest league in the world, i think we will be able to attract players from all but the obvious top tier clubs in Europe.

players in Germany/Spain/Italy outside of Bayern/Barca/Real/Juventus will not be earning what we can pay

Last edited:
So why havent we? And why is it a persistent accusation that we dont pay enough?

well up until the last couple of years we haven't been as on the map as we are now and we also have seemingly not been able to offer the transfer fees required to make clubs want to sell, balancing the books and all that - but in the hypothetical scenario that we're looking at Zaha for the figures being banded around then that would suggest we do have at least one big buy this summer penciled in

But we need English bred players

It’s a huge issue for us that seems to be rapidly forgotten

So who would you buy instead that ticks that box too?

But we need English bred players

It’s a huge issue for us that seems to be rapidly forgotten

So who would you buy instead that ticks that box too?

i don't know what our situation is with that but i don't think the answer is to overspend on a player - why not upgrade a squad player at the lower end to keep up our British quota and keep the big money for someone who's truly worth it?

Last edited:
i don't know what our situation is with that but i don't think the answer is to overspend on a player - why not upgrade a squad player at the lower end to keep up our British quota and keep the big money for someone who's truly worth it?

Again I’ll ask like who?

We could buy some players to develop but we need players who can play now and the need to be English bred otherwise they can’t play in CL

Last edited:
Again I’ll ask like who?

We could buy some players to develop but we need players who can play now and the need to be English bred otherwise they can’t play in CL

ive already offered a response to a similar question from Nayim - IF we have the money to buy Zaha at the numbers quoted then we have the money to slap down in front of any club in Europe/the world outside of the elite/mega rich clubs for their players, and as the 6th highest wage paying club in the richest league on earth we have the clout to tempt any player not at one of the aforementioned elite clubs. Zaha is a tricky winger who has a 1 in 6 scoring record and a similar assist record - 60m will get you leading players from top leagues abroad, players more proven and with better productivity than Zaha, i don't need to go on a scouting mission to be sure of that mate, that's the clubs job.

edit : just realized you meant for the British player quota, not the first team position as per my response :oops:

IDK tbh with regards to that but if the choice is to shift on some of our fringe squad players who don't get much game time and bring in some cheaper British players just to help us out numbers wise, meaning we can fit in a better player from abroad for big bucks then that is something i would support. i mean are we really going to be at a disadvantage if we move on say Llorente and have a token British forward collecting splinters?

Last edited:
ive already offered a response to a similar question from Nayim - IF we have the money to buy Zaha at the numbers quoted then we have the money to slap down in front of any club in Europe/the world outside of the elite/mega rich clubs for their players, and as the 6th highest wage paying club in the richest league on earth we have the clout to tempt any player not at one of the aforementioned elite clubs. Zaha is a tricky winger who has a 1 in 6 scoring record and a similar assist record - 60m will get you leading players from top leagues abroad, players more proven and with better productivity than Zaha, i don't need to go on a scouting mission to be sure of that mate, that's the clubs job

Agree with all of that
Then who do you sell of our foreign players go fill the squad (assuming the new player is foreign too)
I’m sure we’re 3 too many

Agree with all of that
Then who do you sell of our foreign players go fill the squad (assuming the new player is foreign too)
I’m sure we’re 3 too many

edited my post while you were responding mate :

IDK tbh with regards to that but if the choice is to shift on some of our fringe squad players who don't get much game time and bring in some cheaper British players just to help us out numbers wise, meaning we can fit in a better player from abroad for big bucks then that is something i would support. i mean are we really going to be at a disadvantage if we move on say Llorente and have a token British forward collecting splinters? what about some of Chich's young guns he recommends, that fella at Forest?

edited my post while you were responding mate :

IDK tbh with regards to that but if the choice is to shift on some of our fringe squad players who don't get much game time and bring in some cheaper British players just to help us out numbers wise, meaning we can fit in a better player from abroad for big bucks then that is something i would support. i mean are we really going to be at a disadvantage if we move on say Llorente and have a token British forward collecting splinters? what about some of Chich's young guns he recommends, that fella at Forest?

Brereton is currently playing for England under 19s

He actually looks better in men’s football

I’m all upgrading and I think the English balance is making things harder than we would like

It’s why I’ve said Zaha ticks those boxes

I’d also like us to go for Thiago from Bayern and that roosters up the English numbers more but he is worth it (which is what you were saying)

Again I’ll ask like who?

Grealish sounds like he's joining, replacing GKN so thats +1 English player

If he falls through, can always call Dortmund about Sancho...

Back