• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOUR England 23 man World cup squad

i would leave out shaw. but would you take either shaw or baines ahead of cole?

I don't give us much chance of getting out of the group and if we do, we'll get beaten by the first decent team we play. I'd be tempted to write off the tournament and take the kids for experience.

off topic, but i think we should try get cole. i think theres at least 2 years in him where a club of our stature cannot get a better player than him (at leftback). he also seems like a bit of an introvert who would like to remain in london. would be massive for us imo

I agree but I think that there will be bigger/richer clubs than us in for him and they are unlikely to further alienate him from the fans of the of the clubs he has already represented as much as signing for us would.

this is the worldcup tho. whatever chance we have, we have to maximise it. surely when it comes to the worldcup, its about the here and now?

and i think cole, with his professionalism could make euro 2016. and even have a small chance of 2018. isn't he our answer to zanetti?

I agree but I think that there will be bigger/richer clubs than us in for him and they are unlikely to further alienate him from the fans of the of the clubs he has already represented as much as signing for us would.

oh yh, i momentarily forgot about the arsenal-tottenham implications lol. do you rekon theres any chance he will go back to arsenal? they have 2 solid leftbacks, but sagna is leaving. and if one of them(or cole) could play rb, there could be something there for arsenal imo.

this is the worldcup tho. whatever chance we have, we have to maximise it. surely when it comes to the worldcup, its about the here and now?

and i think cole, with his professionalism could make euro 2016. and even have a small chance of 2018. isn't he our answer to zanetti?

If you asked me to pick an English left back that we can rely on in a crunch game, I would pick Cole every day.

I think that if this world cup was played a thousand times we would be lucky to make the semi final once.

oh yh, i momentarily forgot about the arsenal-tottenham implications lol. do you rekon theres any chance he will go back to arsenal? they have 2 solid leftbacks, but sagna is leaving. and if one of them(or cole) could play rb, there could be something there for arsenal imo.

Liverpool, City and Real Madrid have been linked recently.

If you asked me to pick an English left back that we can rely on in a crunch game, I would pick Cole every day.

I think that if this world cup was played a thousand times we would be lucky to make the semi final once.

i know we've underperformed in the past decade considering how many worldclass* players we had. but this is just a short term knockout tournament. we have good players, and with luck, we could go all the way. look at greece. look at south korea in 2002. look at some of the teams that have made the finals of domestic cup competitions: wigan, hull, swansea, sunderland, bradford.

*i suspect our 23man sqaud may have been on the highest club salaries for a number of the tournaments in the past decade

we're around 3.5% to win the worldcup <bookies>. thats in the same ballpark as portugal, holland, italy, uruguay, france. surely thats enough to want to fully commit to the worldcup.

Who first 'leaked' the Cole omission?

If it wasn't Cole that is crass imo. The decision to leave him out for he reason of youth will also seem strange if Lampard and Gerard are taken whilst the likes of Barkley are left behind.

Who first 'leaked' the Cole omission?

If it wasn't Cole that is crass imo. The decision to leave him out for he reason of youth will also seem strange if Lampard and Gerard are taken whilst the likes of Barkley are left behind.

i suspect hodgson is concerned about cole's lack of game time this season. surely he would've been the first choice had he played this season?

Even then Cole's just played in two CL semi finals and a potential title decider at Anfield. How many big games has Baines played in his life? Let alone Shaw. England's defence looks in bad shape to me. You have Glen Johnson who has no idea what's going on, Cahill who's decent but is used to playing alongside Terry. Then you have two Everton players, Jagielka and Baines who whilst decent, haven't really done anything in football at the top level.

yh im with you Rossi22. i wouldve taken cole and started him. if he hadnt played in these past few weeks, im not sure. but hes shown enough for me in these games. the guy is just so consistent, its unreal. even in the past few weeks, after not having played for months, he just slots in seemlessly.

and re jagielka and baines, i think your view is spot on. they are very good, but thats it. theres a reason they havent won anything. they havent been exceptional in any time in their careers, hence they don't play for a top 4 side.

if either of them joined a chelsea or a Emirates Marketing Project, i suspect they would've ended up like lescott. they are just a bit short of being really top class.

Would love to see this first team:
----------Hart-----------
Walker-Cahill-Terry-Baines
-----Gerrard-Barkley-----
Sterling--Lallana--Rooney
--------Sturridge--------

And this squad:
Foster, Forster
Johnson, Jones, Jagielka, Shaw
Lampard, Milner, Wheelchair
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Welbeck, Lambert

Versatile squad with complementary players in what is on paper a very dangerous team. Plenty of potential to mix it up.

EDIT Alternatively:
----------Hart-----------
Walker-Cahill-Terry-Baines
--------Gerrard----------
----Milner-----Barkley----
--------Rooney----------
---Sterling--Sturridge----

Last edited:
yh im with you Rossi22. i wouldve taken cole and started him. if he hadnt played in these past few weeks, im not sure. but hes shown enough for me in these games. the guy is just so consistent, its unreal. even in the past few weeks, after not having played for months, he just slots in seemlessly.

and re jagielka and baines, i think your view is spot on. they are very good, but thats it. theres a reason they havent won anything. they havent been exceptional in any time in their careers, hence they don't play for a top 4 side.

if either of them joined a chelsea or a Emirates Marketing Project, i suspect they would've ended up like lescott. they are just a bit short of being really top class.

Use him correctly and Baines is a massive threat.

Surely there is no need to disgrace our country by taking Jordan Henderson? Sure he has been useful for Liverpool this year, but really he is just a sh!t, less versatile James Milner.

how has flanagan made it ahead of gibbs for the standby list?
i'm questioning hodgson's competency more and more.

Back