• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOU are the manager

As much as you can bemoan Jose and his ego, I do kinda agree with him when Porto named AVB as their guest of honour, being as he was the coach that made them CL winners an everything.

As to AVB studying Pep. We could argue that he is trying to emulate Barca with the aggresive pressing in the opponents half and neat intricate play. If this is the case then you can't expect immediate results as it is an extremely tough system to teach and implement, especially with players who haven't been bought up on tiki taka.

If I were Manager.mmmm

Well Dawson, Defoe, and Adabayour would have been sold...

I,d have to look for a new striker.........Gudjonson ..would do for a back up..still playing for Sweden i believe. Thats unbelievable..Great player.

I am not so sure about Saldado..26 mill for a player who does not create much...hes still on trial ...so far with me..

We need to attack the penalty box more. That would be my maine aim from an attacking perspective. If a player is attacking the box it also brings more passing options into play thats what we should be doing. I,d bring Ekotto back..simply because I like the way he plays with flair.
Looking back I would have kept Pav in the squad at least!

We have to keep playing Eriksen Paully and Lamela in the same side.

I dont go to much on tactics never have..Maybe I would be proved wrong but my football philosophy is simple,,,,

"Play your best players"

If I were Manager.mmmm

Well Dawson, Defoe, and Adabayour would have been sold...

I,d have to look for a new striker.........Gudjonson ..would do for a back up..still playing for Sweden i believe. Thats unbelievable..Great player.

I am not so sure about Saldado..26 mill for a player who does not create much...hes still on trial ...so far with me..

We need to attack the penalty box more. That would be my maine aim from an attacking perspective. If a player is attacking the box it also brings more passing options into play thats what we should be doing. I,d bring Ekotto back..simply because I like the way he plays with flair.
Looking back I would have kept Pav in the squad at least!

We have to keep playing Eriksen Paully and Lamela in the same side.

I dont go to much on tactics never have..Maybe I would be proved wrong but my football philosophy is simple,,,,

"Play your best players"

I don't agree with everything you've said mate, but enjoyed reading that and enjoyed the fact that you have a clear idea. Nice one.

Carrying on from my post in the AVB discussion thread, I believe the following formation is something along the lines of what we should be employing.

-------------------------------Soldado/Defoe-----------------------------
---------------------Eriksen/Holtby---------------------------------------

Sigurdsson/Chadli------------------------------------Lamela/Townsend

------------------Paulinho/Dembele--------------------------------------
----------------------------------Sandro/Capoue-------------------------

Rose/Verts---------------------------------------------Walker/Naughton

-------------------Verts/Kaboul-----Daws/Vlad--------------------------

First Choice/Second Choice

I believe that system has huge potential. I would clearly instruct Eriksen or Holtby to literally hang onto Soldado's back ****ing pocket and not move, offer him some damn support and don't wander all over the field chasing the ball.

I would have Sigurdsson and Lamela cutting in to play incisive passes to the usually excellent finishers Soldado and Eriksen or interchange with Eriksen and play tricky one-two's to create openings for our Spanish dead-eye.

I would also encourage both Sig and Lamela to change things up at times and take their full back on, try and go past him and whip some crosses in for Bobby.

With the intricate, intelligent attacking four making things happen I would have Paulinho ghosting from deep, trying to make late runs and latch onto anything loose, however I would also have him under stricter defensive duties to share some of the load with Sandro.

Both Pauly and Sandro would be told to to adopt the KISS philosophy. Play simple, direct and sharp passes forward to keep things ticking, not backwards or sideways.. Our defense can keep it the way it is as they have been the best part of our play lately.

That's about it!

Last edited:
Here goes.

Not a huge change from what we have seen so far this season but I want to see the three behind the striker mixing it up and switching positions and I would like to see the inside forwards getting into the box and supporting Soldado. Holtby to drop deep to make it a three man midfield during stages of play.

...................................Soldado

......Chadli/Lennon......Holtby............Lamela

......................Paulinho
.....................................Sandro

Rose/Verts...Verts/Vlad....Dawson.....Walker

....................................Lloris

Ok my turn.

In possession we would look something like this:

----------- Kaboul-----------Sandro----------Vertonghen

----------------- Paulinho------------Holtby----------------------

Walker------------------------------------------------------ Rose

------------ Lamela-----------------------Eriksen---------------------

--------------------------Soldado--------------------------------------

The full backs provide all the width with Sandro dropping in between Verts and Kaboul allowing them to spread a little bit to keep open another passing option. Holtby and Paulinho have licence to get forward and rotate with Lamela and Eriksen thus creating plenty of movement, whilst also arriving late in the box. The overlapping fullbacks may even tuck inside from time to time with one of the others switching to the wide berth during passing phases. From what I have seen I think having Lamela and Eriksen slightly more in field would suit them more and be beneficial, however that doesn't mean they are expected to just move around in midfield. By being closer to Soldado they should be able to make those short little passes in to the box but also work good passing movements between themselves.

When out of possession we collapse back into a 4-5-1

Walker---Kaboul---Vert---Rose
-----------Sandro------------
Lamela--Paulinho--Holtby--Eriksen
----------Soldado---------------

Options
---------
Chiriches can cover either defender.
Capoue can play where Sandro is.
Dembele and Sig can take the place of either Paulinho or Holtby
Chadli plays narrower for Belgium from what I have heard so likely could do the job of Lamela or Eriksen
Lennon for me can also do this as his off the ball movement is cleverer than he's given credit for. Kane also looks more comfortable sitting behind the main striker so could be an option.
Townsend is the problem here, he could fit in where Rose and Walker are but this would mean playing another defensive midfielder (Capoue instead of Holtby) so that when we fell back to defend either Jan or Kaboul were playing as the fullback.

I have based this on the fact that we have players who have shown at other clubs shown they can find the stiker, him whilst having a deep ball player in the middle to help pulling defences apart. This would make Sig or Paulinho to play a more defensive game at times but also allow them to make the late run from deep to get into good positions in and around the box.

Last edited:
Ok my turn.

In possession we would look something like this:

----------- Kaboul-----------Sandro----------Vertonghen

----------------- Paulinho------------Holtby----------------------

Walker------------------------------------------------------ Rose

------------ Lamela-----------------------Eriksen---------------------

--------------------------Soldado--------------------------------------

The full backs provide all the width with Sandro dropping in between Verts and Kaboul allowing them to spread a little bit to keep open another passing option. Holtby and Paulinho have licence to get forward and rotate with Lamela and Eriksen thus creating plenty of movement, whilst also arriving late in the box. The overlapping fullbacks may even tuck inside from time to time with one of the others switching to the wide berth during passing phases. From what I have seen I think having Lamela and Eriksen slightly more in field would suit them more and be beneficial, however that doesn't mean they are expected to just move around in midfield. By being closer to Soldado they should be able to make those short little passes in to the box but also work good passing movements between themselves.

When out of possession we collapse back into a 4-5-1

Walker---Kaboul---Vert---Rose
-----------Sandro------------
Lamela--Paulinho--Holtby--Eriksen
----------Soldado---------------

Options
---------
Chiriches can cover either defender.
Capoue can play where Sandro is.
Dembele and Sig can take the place of either Paulinho or Holtby
Chadli plays narrower for Belgium from what I have heard so likely could do the job of Lamela or Eriksen
Lennon for me can also do this as his off the ball movement is cleverer than he's given credit for. Kane also looks more comfortable sitting behind the main striker so could be an option.
Townsend is the problem here, he could fit in where Rose and Walker are but this would mean playing another defensive midfielder (Capoue instead of Holtby) so that when we fell back to defend either Jan or Kaboul were playing as the fullback.

I have based this on the fact that we have players who have shown at other clubs shown they can find the stiker, him whilst having a deep ball player in the middle to help pulling defences apart. This would make Sig or Paulinho to play a more defensive game at times but also allow them to make the late run from deep to get into good positions in and around the box.

That's pretty much how I called it too. Who would you select this weekend with Eirksen and very probably Rose out?

That's the problem we have, very few players that can cover Rose and Walker. If I had to stick to that system it would be with Capoue instead of Sandro, Townsend wide left and Sig further up. Lineup would read

--------Kaboul---Capoue---Vert
Walker---Holtby------Sandro----Townsend
--------Lamela------------Sig
----------------Soldado

Defending as

Walker--Kaboul--Capoue--Vert
------------Sandro
Lamela--Holtby--Sig--Townsend
------------Soldado

I state again I would not play that line up as I think a defence of Capoue and Kaboul would be torn apart, not so much Vert and Capoue. Sandro has to play as he is our deepest midfielder when defending but this counters the attacking formation. I still think it would work against poorer teams though, just not City. It just feels too unbalanced. Dembele or Paulinho should start this weekend alongside Sandro with one of Holtby or Sig ahead of them in a 433. I'd want a hard working winger against Zabaleta to keep him pinned back which means i'd play Townsend or Chadli against him. Clichy tends to do well against direct runners which is why i'd have Lamela instead of Townsend out right.

But if we had everyone fit, i'd stand by my first team post vs anyone as I think it could devastate.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in seeing Townsend on the left but i'd rather give it a go in one of the Europa dead rubber games. I worry about his inexperience in the position and how having a left sided player on the left could destabilise us.

. I'd want a hard working winger against Zabaleta to keep him pinned back which means i'd play Townsend or Chadli against him. Clichy tends to do well against direct runners which is why i'd have Lamela instead of Townsend.

I picked Lamela and Lennon for similar reasons. Also because they can both switch flanks and mix it up.

I'd like to see more of Chadli, I rate him more than many on here and think that he could be a really useful option on the left.

Townsend shouldn't really be deployed there tbh but he does fill the criteria of having a left foot and being able to get up and down the wing. Would be the same as when Bale played there when he was younger

......................Lloris......................
......Kaboul......Chiriches.....Vert......
............Sandro......Paulinho...........
Walker..........Lamela........Townsend
.............Soldado...Ade...................

We need a big clear out in January. The manager ( whoever it may be) should settle on a recognised first team with a few key back ups and other youngsters and then sell those deemed surplus to requirements. I think our squad is now too big and lacks focus. Too many mey players.

I agree with Pirate55. We need a chosen first 11, so that we gain core unity. We then have reserves around him, players who will be happy to be in the squad.

I think part of the problem is that we have limited cohesion caused by constantly changing the team. There will be some changes but we should keep a fixed 7 or 8 of our players and then rotate the rest. Get working links and then that will also better ease the transition of bringing new players in.

I'd constantly play Lamela, Eriksen and Chiriches, barring horrible form, so that the players became settled in and could start getting their best performances. No point being soft about transition.

When other clubs sign players, they are generally thrown straight in to the team but that didn't happen with us. That just delays the time it takes to get the team up to full speed.

yep a consistent first XI for the league needs to be decided upon, use the cup games to rotate in those left out until later in the year when fatigue/suspension/injuries start to mount up

I havent posted in this thread because well its largely consumed by what players people would pick when it is clear the fundamental issue is not the personnel but HOW they are utilised.

I would seriously just go 442 and revert back to the status quo of two years ago and tell the players to go out enjoy their football and play to their strengths. Give them free will (to a certain extent) and let them use their talents and skill.

Back