• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group F - Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Argentina and Bosnia and Herzegovina

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Argentina and Iran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Argentina and Nigeria

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina and Iran

• Bosnia and Herzegovina and Nigeria

• Iran and Nigeria

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Braineclipse Thanks for taking the time to write; i'll reply by each paragraph

For me at least an African team being amongst the realistic favourites (say top 5-6) to win a World Cup would be very clear progression. As it is the occasional African team goes on a run, like Ghana four years ago, but there's no consistency, there's no "Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France" etc of Africa. Teams fade in and fade out like mediocre European teams. So many great teams have been heralded and done relatively little.

That indeed would be very clear progression, but how do you suppose the continent would go from a team like Cameroon in 1990 (fresh, unknown, good skills, right time) to being on a par with those big guns you mention, who have DECADES of football playing experience, tradition, history and (prob most important) long standing infrastructure, i.e. established professional leagues where both homegrown and foreign talent play professionally and where experience coaches are present? If professional leagues on par with even the South American ones existed in Africa i could understand there even being an expectation for a 'Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc' to emerge. But there isn't, so this is just an unrealistic expectation in my view. I mean look at the Premier League; one of, if not the best league in the world and the national team have not been close to become a power like the sides you mention for nearly 50 years.

The first World Cup I remember was in 1990, Cameroon were a great attraction and a lot of people talked through the nineties about how African teams would build on that. I don't think any of the African teams at the World Cup now are much further along than that Cameroon side was.

Taking this kind of analysis further, couldn't one say the same about European teams, apart from France and Spain, not being further ahead than where they were in 1990? It's very difficult for any team to make quarter finals let alone countries who have not traditionally taken part in World Cups routinely (which if you look at the qualification records of most of the African sides, is not as often as can be compared to other countries who are their effectively present in every tournament). What exactly would 'progressing further' entail? Being a last-minute spot-kick away from the semi-final? If Gyan had scored that penalty at the last world cup, would that change your mind? In fact, apart from Brazil, have South American sides progressed?

If I could go back in time to 1990 and describe a future that 20-24 years later no African team would have gotten past the quarter finals, that no African team has even been considered as anything other than at best a long shot outsider for winning a World Cup and that no African team seems to be emerging as a real powerhouse in international football I think people would be surprised. I think most people expected more.

Again, I think expectations like this are rather random and based on pure romantics; hell i'm a romantic and i'd LOVE for there to have been an African side in a world cup final, but as i said above about professional infrastructure (or lackof), realistically i don't see how actually one can have expected such things to happen without the time, history, infrastructure etc of the other big guns. In fact, I could ask whether anyone expected that Argentina would not play a final or semi-final since 1990 and whether they would be surprised? Have Argentina underperformed?

There's been a lot of good players coming out of Africa in the last couple of decades. The socioeconomic situation is obviously vastly different in different countries, but not all together dissimilar to what it is in Brazil and Argentina for example and by all reports I've seen at least there's a high interest in football in many countries in Africa. There's also quite a few African countries with very solid populations. That to me means that to me it seems that there should be the potential there for some great footballing nations to emerge, close to or on par with Europe and South America.
To me this potential seems very much unfulfilled still.

Again, even if the social-economic situation may be similar in some countries to Brazil and Argentina, there are no leagues that are comparable.
In fact, take Nigeria, the most populous African country by far and also possibly the most football-obsessed does not have the grassroots and professional infrastructure that, say, Brazil and Argentina would have in South America yet. Bear in mind also that experience on the world football stage is very much limited for most African countries in comparison to those two South American big guns. They and several other South and Central American can call upon coaches who have played and coached for several decades; that's a wealth of footballing experience and know-how that Africa (no matter how much we want to romanticize otherwise) simply cannot replicate at this time yet.

Hopefully Stephen Keshi can signal a change in emphasis of the African FAs to use good local coaches who, like him, have experience of coaching and managing both locally and internationally. This in the long term, especially in the absence of finances like that in Japan and South Korea who have recently set-up billion dollar professional leagues, is Africa's best chance of bridging the existing skills/tactical/experience gap.

Braineclipse Thanks for taking the time to write; i'll reply by each paragraph

That indeed would be very clear progression, but how do you suppose the continent would go from a team like Cameroon in 1990 (fresh, unknown, good skills, right time) to being on a par with those big guns you mention, who have DECADES of football playing experience, tradition, history and (prob most important) long standing infrastructure, i.e. established professional leagues where both homegrown and foreign talent play professionally and where experience coaches are present? If professional leagues on par with even the South American ones existed in Africa i could understand there even being an expectation for a 'Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc' to emerge. But there isn't, so this is just an unrealistic expectation in my view. I mean look at the Premier League; one of, if not the best league in the world and the national team have not been close to become a power like the sides you mention for nearly 50 years.

Taking this kind of analysis further, couldn't one say the same about European teams, apart from France and Spain, not being further ahead than where they were in 1990? It's very difficult for any team to make quarter finals let alone countries who have not traditionally taken part in World Cups routinely (which if you look at the qualification records of most of the African sides, is not as often as can be compared to other countries who are their effectively present in every tournament). What exactly would 'progressing further' entail? Being a last-minute spot-kick away from the semi-final? If Gyan had scored that penalty at the last world cup, would that change your mind? In fact, apart from Brazil, have South American sides progressed?

Again, I think expectations like this are rather random and based on pure romantics; hell i'm a romantic and i'd LOVE for there to have been an African side in a world cup final, but as i said above about professional infrastructure (or lackof), realistically i don't see how actually one can have expected such things to happen without the time, history, infrastructure etc of the other big guns. In fact, I could ask whether anyone expected that Argentina would not play a final or semi-final since 1990 and whether they would be surprised? Have Argentina underperformed?

Again, even if the social-economic situation may be similar in some countries to Brazil and Argentina, there are no leagues that are comparable.
In fact, take Nigeria, the most populous African country by far and also possibly the most football-obsessed does not have the grassroots and professional infrastructure that, say, Brazil and Argentina would have in South America yet. Bear in mind also that experience on the world football stage is very much limited for most African countries in comparison to those two South American big guns. They and several other South and Central American can call upon coaches who have played and coached for several decades; that's a wealth of footballing experience and know-how that Africa (no matter how much we want to romanticize otherwise) simply cannot replicate at this time yet.

Hopefully Stephen Keshi can signal a change in emphasis of the African FAs to use good local coaches who, like him, have experience of coaching and managing both locally and internationally. This in the long term, especially in the absence of finances like that in Japan and South Korea who have recently set-up billion dollar professional leagues, is Africa's best chance of bridging the existing skills/tactical/experience gap.

Cheers to you too glorygloryeze.

I realize that the bar for progress I set was pretty high, and I accept that this isn't the only standard to see progress. But there's quite a bit of fluctuation amongst those top 5-6 favourites for various World Cups and I would say that during England's best period they could realistically be seen as at least close to that (not turning this into an England discussion).

To change it around, what progress have we seen since the nineties in terms of African teams performing at World Cups? And if those 24 years wasn't enough time to see the kind of progress I described, do you expect that the next 24 will be?

It might very well be that expectations were too high and unrealistic. I think if you asked Argentinians they would feel that they've underachieved and underperformed since 1990/1986. The long list of managers, the pressure on Messi and the long list of "next Maradona" players preceding him speaks to this I think.

South America in general I cannot agree to though. We've seen Uruguay perform well above what can be expected, their mid 20th century wins makes people think that they're a footballing power that this should be expected from, personally I don't put that much stock in results from back then. The results and performances from them along with Chile and more recently Columbia in addition to Argentina and Brazil is rather impressive to me and arguably they're doing better than Europe.

You're probably right about the leagues, but in the last decade or so a host of young African players have been playing and learning in France, Belgium and other European countries from a fairly young age. That's no replacement for a strong domestic league I suppose.

As I've said before I try not to put too much stock into individual results. Had no African teams made it out of the group stages this World Cup my reaction would have been more or less the same and had 5 made it out of the groups (but with similar performances in both instances) I would also have had a very similar reaction I think.

I've been impressed with Keshi and I see others have been too. You're probably right that African countries need people like him to emerge that can carry the torch so to say and help progress, I do feel that African football is being heavily weighed down by the various national football associations though. I wonder if there's a realistic path out of that as without a strong effort from a positive football association real progress will be difficult and most likely random.

I've been impressed with Keshi and I see others have been too. You're probably right that African countries need people like him to emerge that can carry the torch so to say and help progress, I do feel that African football is being heavily weighed down by the various national football associations though. I wonder if there's a realistic path out of that as without a strong effort from a positive football association real progress will be difficult and most likely random.

I agree totally. The fact that African football is battling against greed, corruption and incompetence further supports glorygloryeze's argument about our development. Do you know that in 2010 Nigeria had more football association members in South Africa out on a jolly than we did footballers representing the country. Unfortunately when African players see this wastage is any wonder that some of them starting agitating for their piece of the pie, which leads to situations like Ghana and Cameroon. Interestingly while Nigerian players have stooped to such lows in the past I do not actually ever remember North African national teams threatening to strike because of bonuses.

Back