• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group E - France, Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• France and Switzerland

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • France and Ecuador

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • France and Honduras

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switzerland and Ecuador

• Switzerland and Honduras

• Ecuador and Honduras

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
France

Qualified by beating Ukraine in a UEFA playoff.

Have previously participated in 13 World Cups: 1930, 1934, 1938, 1954, 1958, 1966, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010

Previous best: Winners in 1998

FIFA World ranking: 16

France had no easy time in the qualifying. Chasing Spain all the way in their preliminary round, France finally booked a spot after a narrow escape from the play-off against Ukraine.

Squad:

GK: Lloris (Tottenham), Ruffier (Saint-Etienne), Landreau (Bastia)

DF: Debuchy (Saudi Sportswashing Machine), Evra (Man United), Varane (Real Madrid), Sakho (Liverpool), Mangala (Porto), Sagna (Arsenal), Digne (PSG), Koscielny (Arsenal)

MF: Cabaye (PSG), Valbuena (Marseille), Griezmann (Real Sociedad), Mavuba (Lille), Matuidi (PSG), Sissoko (Saudi Sportswashing Machine), Pogba (Juventus), Schneiderlin (Southampton)

FW: Cabella (Montpellier), Giroud (Arsenal), Benzema (Real Madrid), Remy (Saudi Sportswashing Machine)

Switzerland

Qualified as UEFA Group E Winners.

Have previously participated in 9 World Cups: 1934, 1938, 1950, 1954, 1962, 1966, 1994, 2006 and 2010

Previous best: Quarterfinals in 1934, 1938 and 1954

FIFA World ranking: 6

Ranking 6th, Switzerland has been enjoying its golden time since Ottmar Hitzfeld took charge in 2008. The Swiss reached the quarter-finals three times in previous tournaments, but none since they played host in 1954. In the last World Cup four years ago, Switzerland failed to progress from the group stage despite a shock 1-0 win over eventual champion Spain.

Squad:

GK: Benaglio (Wolfsburg), Sommer (Basel), Bürki (Grasshopper)

DF: Lichtsteiner (Juventus), Ziegler (Juventus, on loan to Sassuolo), Senderos (Fulham, on loan to Valencia), von Bergen (Young Boys), Lang (Grasshopper), Rodriguez (Wolfsburg), Djorou (Arsenal, on loan to Hamburg), Schär (Basel)

MF: Barnetta (Eintracht Frankfurt), Inler (Napoli), Xhaka (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Behrami (Napoli), Stocker (Basel), Džemaili (Napoli), Fernandes (Freiburg), Shaqiri (Bayern Munich)

FW: Seferovic (Real Sociedad), Gavranovic (Zürich), Mehmedi (Freiburg), Drmic (Nürnberg)

Ecuador

Qualified as the 4th best team from CONMEBOL.

Have previously participated in 2 World Cups: 2002 and 2006

Previous best: Round 2 in 2006

FIFA World ranking: 26

Head coach Reinaldo Rueda, who led Honduras to the 2010 World Cup, believed Ecuador could achieve more than a must-win game over his former team. "I always tell the players I want to play seven games," the Colombian said, implying that Ecuador will at least reach the semi-finals.

Squad:

GK: Banguera (Barcelona Sporting Club), Bone (El Nacional), Dominguez (LCD Quito)

DF: Guagua (Emelec), Erazo (Flamengo), Paredes (Barcelona Sporting Club), Ayovi (Pachuca), Bagui (Emelec), Achilier (Emelec)

MF: Ibarra (Vitesse), Noboa (Dynamo Moscow), Montero (Morelia), Mendez (Santa Fe), Rojas (Cruz Azul), Castillo (Al-Hilal), Arroyo (Atlante), Valencia (Man United), Saritama (Barcelona Sporting Club), Martinez (Tijuana), Gruezo (Stuttgart)

FW: Caicedo (Al-Jazira), Valencia (Pachuca), Ayovi (Tijuana)

Honduras

Qualified as the 3rd best team from CONCACAF.

Have previously participated in 2 World Cups: 1982 and 2010

Previous best: Round 1 in 1982 and 2010

FIFA World ranking: 33

Honduras is making its third appearance in the World Cup finals. It failed to get out of the group stage in 1982 and 2010. Colombian coach Luis Fernando Suarez hopes his team can win at least a game.

Squad:

GK: Lopez (Real Espana), Valladares (Olimpia), Escober (Olimpia)

DF: Chavez (Qingdai Jonoon), Figueroa (Hull), Montes (Motagua), Bernardez (San Jose Earthquakes), Garcia (Wigan), Izaguirre (Celtic), Beckeles (Olimpia)

MF: Palacios (Stoke), Martinez (Real Espana), Delgado (Real Espana), Garcia (Houston Dynamo), Espinoza (Wigan), Chavez (Chivas USA), Garrido (Olimpia), Claros (Motagua), Najar (Anderlecht)

FW: Palacios (Alajuelense), Bengtson (New England Revolution), Costly (Real Espana), Martinez (Club Deportivo Real Sociedad)

GROUP E SCHEDULE:

June 15: Switzerland vs. Ecuador in Brasilia; France vs. Honduras in Porto Alegre

June 20: Switzerland vs. France in Salvador; Honduras vs. Ecuador in Curitiba

June 25: Honduras vs. Switzerland in Manaus; Ecuador vs. France in Rio de Janeiro

Switzerland def Ecuador
France def. Hondurus
Switzerland def France
Ecuador def Honduras
Switzerland def Honduras
France def. Ecuador

Switzerland to reach last 8

Switzerland will definitely reach the last 16 but the last 8 is overly ambitious. I can't see Switzerland beating France.

I can see them getting atleast a draw against France, they will not lose that game.

France are my smokies for the tournament. I had them reach the semis in my Predictor

But that was before news that Ribery was out (even though I think he's a tad over-rated - not in the same sphere as Robben, Bale, etc)

Really excited to see Switzerland today. Very good young side who I said would get to the last 8. I hope they live up to expectations. Also have France/Hondorus, could be very one sided or we could see yet another disappointing France performance at top level.

Looking forward to watching Drmic for the Swiss. I saw him a lot playing for Nuremberg last season, an exciting talented forward and he just signed for Leverkusen. I'm surprised Dortmund didn't buy him to replace Lewandowski.

France are always inconsistent. Despite all the talents they have had, they just can't play to their best ability. They did well to win the WC at their own home in 1998 but just can't see them winning another WC. They are always full of internal problems.

Switzerland have always been unpredictable. You will never know what to expect from them. They can play like champions in one match but play shyte in another match. They shocked everyone by beating Spain in 2010 but after that lost to Chile and drew with Honduras. Not sure which Switzerland will turn up this time.

Last edited:
Really excited to see Switzerland today. Very good young side who I said would get to the last 8. I hope they live up to expectations. Also have France/Hondorus, could be very one sided or we could see yet another disappointing France performance at top level.
I agree. Everyone is talking about Belgium but the Swiss are the true hipster's choice.

Back