• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Willie G coming to Perth

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
French defender William Gallas is on the verge of a move to Perth Glory in Australia's A-League after being released by English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur, a report said Wednesday.

The former Chelsea and Arsenal star is a free agent and has previously expressed interest in joining the country's booming domestic league, which boosts several former greats led by Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero.

The West Australian newspaper reported that talks between Gallas' agent and Perth were at an advanced stage and an official announcement could be made late Wednesday.

The 36-year-old spent more than a decade at top clubs Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham, where he played 24 matches as vice-captain last season.

He was also capped 84 times by France.

Link

Last edited:
I am surprised that he didn't join another PL team. Thought he could still play 1 or 2 more years at high level. Maybe financial issues influenced his decision to join A-League.

Last edited:
Don't know about the bit about "several former greats". Unless you are counting Emil Heskey as a former great ...

Speaking to L'Equipe, the former Gunner confessed that another year in England may have been too much for him.
''I'm going on 37 years, I am not immortal,'' said Gallas.
''It was important for me to leave the high level at the right time. I do not think I could have done one more season in England.
''Today, what interests me is to play ball.''
He went on to speak of the lifestyle in Australia claiming that the pressure and the level suits him and for his immediate future he will learn more about the city he is living and possibly look to build a future there.
What was your fondest memory of Gallas?

[video=youtube;sOwWWZhml8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwWWZhml8U#t=17[/video]

I could forgive the obviously stupid error, but just giving up when the guy still had the keeper to go around is poor. He could have covered behind the keeper and at least made an effort to stop the ball going in.

I remember the assists he got for Chelsea when they beat us in his last season at Spurs.

I remember the assists he got for Chelsea when they beat us in his last season at Spurs.

He wasn't at fault for any of the goals. Kyle Walker was at fault for goals 3 and 4 for Chelsea because of lazy defending. I know the goal you refer specifically to is goal 3 but it isn't Gallas fault at all. If Walker, who is looking across the line and sees the run of Mata at an early stage, acts on that and tracks the run then it doesn't end in a goal. If you mean him being at fault for the Cahill goal then again, it is very harsh. His header clear is not great but it looks like he doesn't get a call from Ekotto I think? behind him and then the ball drops with no direct pressure on it and a CB scores the goal of his life. It was avoidable but hardly an assist.

I think digging Gallas out for not getting his feet right is quite harsh and also incorrect.

On the overall topic, I thought he was superb in his first season, decent in the second and obviously finding it harder in his third season. overall, a good signing on a free transfer imo.

Last edited:
May as well keep this thread going for Australian football news. Perhaps re-badge it the Willy G Aus football thread.

2 great things this weekend.

1. Western Sydney win the Asian Champions League.

2. Adelaide United send David Villa home winless for the *******ized Emirates Marketing Project subsidiary. Bruce Djite >>>> David Villa.

(They have Damien Duff as well).

Back