• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which managerial exit pained you the most?

Which managerial exit pained you the most?

• Total voters
I'm saying AVB, simply because of the obvious lack of contingency planning in place.. When previous managers were sacked, I felt like we were making progress forwards (despite the love for BMJ), currently I feel like this could be a move that sets us back for a long, long time.

Have to agree with this, i was sorry to see BN and KB go but it was their decision.

Voted Rednapp, which is a lie. It didn't pain me at all at the time. HR left the team in great shape. There wasn't really pain, just bemusement. Why? And then his replacement - AVB who'd failed very publicly in west london. Why again. But at least we were a cohesive team then. And maybe chelsea had missed something, maybe AVB was a decent manager.

The reason I voted HR is because his sacking is painful now. The 'what could have been' with stability. Each manger brings different things - and coaches too - but we had a good manger in HR. Massively underrated because of his mouthing off. And he believed he could take Spurs on that next step and challenge at the top. But he needed 3 things: a bigger squad, additional coaches (to assist with scouting, tactics and training for example) something he was open to, and another 18 months.

I voted El Tel. The 90's would have been so different with him in charge. Gutted when Harry and BMJ got the sack too but it has to be Mr. V for me

I voted Hoddle.

I know his time had come and it was time to move on, but it was a sad sad day when I had to accept that the dream of Hoddle leading us to the top wouldn't happen.

I was sad when Jol left too, but not as much I think.

Pleat, first time. Club had an unbelievable season, dare I say it the best since the double year? Who knows what might have happened?

Don't let the buffoon that commentates confuse you - that 86/87 team were prolific and it was a travesty they didnt both cups.

Not forgetting that El Tel wasn't manager by the time he went. His last two years was trying to be some cross between market trader and director of football. Effectively Clemence was running the team - or is it my memory?

The decision to sack Jol was the right one, but the way it was done stank and still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. He'd done a lot for the club early in his reign and deserved more respect than the club showed him.

I wouldn't have minded as much if AVB had been sacked half way through the Liverpool match.

Not forgetting that El Tel wasn't manager by the time he went. His last two years was trying to be some cross between market trader and director of football. Effectively Clemence was running the team - or is it my memory?

Venables was running a nightclub pretty much the last two years.

No, that was the first year with Peter Shreeves. He effectively took over as manager again for 92/93 with Livermore/Clemence as head coaches. And agree with the post above, I actually voted Redknapp but losing Venables had a huge negative impact as a crucial time. He had managed to steer us through a terrible period where we'd lost the likes of Waddle, Gazza and Stewart due to the horrendous mismanagement of Scholar. He'd got out the other side and we looked like title challengers by the end of 92/93. I think that was backed up by the start to 93/94 under Ossie. Despite losing Ruddock to Liverpool, we were Top 5 until early November when Sheringham had his leg broken at Old Trafford and poor Ossie had no idea what to do! Signed Ronny Rosenthal as the short term replacement! :(

Just think for a moment, if it wasn't for the crisis of the late 80s, by 1992/93 we could have been looking at a team something along the lines of Thorstvedt, Van Den Hauwe, Mabbutt, Ruddock, Austin, Waddle, Howells, Gazza, Anderton, Lineker and Sherinham. With the likes of Barmby, Paul Allen, Nayim and Durie in reserve. And that is just who we actually signed despite the crisis and who we could have kept. If he'd actually had some more cash to spend then he may have dealt with the couple of weak links we had, especially at full back. Even that, just compare that with the very mediocre Leeds team that won the league in 1992 and it makes you weep really!

Back