• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which CB partnership do you think is/was our best in the last 30 years?

Which CB partnership do you think is/was our best in the last 30 years?

• Perryman and Price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perryman and Miller

• Mabbut and Sedgley

• Mabbut and Calderwood

• Dawson and Vertonghen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Early days for Jan and Toby but they could go on and be our best.

Agreed. Frankly, Vertonghen and Alderweireld shouldn't be in the above list. They have only played very few games together. I think we can only judge them after they have complete a full season together.

Indeed, funny thing is I had a conversation with my lad about our CB's and imo its the position we have had most crap in over the years.

I think the problem was that we always tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Instead of just accepting a big oaf who kicks anything that moves we try to get them to play football. A lot of the players we signed were dominant in their previous clubs keeping it simple, they join us and all try to be Beckenbauer. Hopefully this has changed as modern players in that role are better footballers and are more comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Always difficult to compare players, never mind partnerships, from different eras, but it's hard for me to see past King and A. N. Other, so I opted for him and Woodgate. Did he ever partner Campbell? My memory's not good enough. They must have been contemporaries in the squad for a couple of years, at least. That would probably have to be the one, if it ever happened.

I think the problem was that we always tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Instead of just accepting a big oaf who kicks anything that moves we try to get them to play football. A lot of the players we signed were dominant in their previous clubs keeping it simple, they join us and all try to be Beckenbauer. Hopefully this has changed as modern players in that role are better footballers and are more comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Willie Young.

Back