• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would you have done differently?

Great question.

(thinking strictly as myself and NOT accounting for AVB).

I'd have started with Ade, had Dembele in the hole, given Carroll a start alongside Sandro and played Bale wide left and Lennon wide right. JD on the bench, ditto Jake. We absolutely need someone who will show for the ball, who wants it, who is constantly moving into the pockets of space around the pitch a la Luka. Right now, due to a cacophonous fudge up on Levy's part it would appear (Moutinho debacle) the one player we have who fits that decription is Carroll (and he fits it pretty fudging well to be fair, the only thing he's lacking is experience).

As for the subs, I absolutely would not EVER try and sit on a one goal lead at home to Norwich with 10 mins to go. Either leave the team as it is OR make a change to inject pace (in this case Townshend was the option as he WOULD occupy the other side's defence)...finally, I would absolutely NOT change systems three times in a game. Twice is doable as a new manager, but three times is a bit much IMHO.

The thing is, AVB has certain ways and expectations. So what might seem obvious to us might not be to what he wants. I think it comes down to how much AVB wants to learn about coaching and management too. Sometimes you HAVE to be flexible in what you want in order to achieve a long-term objective. He NEEDS a few wins. Thus he NEEDS to play in a system which can get the squad back on track, and he needs to understand that his system CAN work, but it will take time. It's a little bit like when the wall came down; there needed to be GREATER transition between the two economic systems. I think that AVB "might" have to slow down the whole 'three systems per game' thing and fuse his doubtless faultless ideal with a bit more "organic-in-the-moment" thinking. I'm a great believer in picking up on the vibe in a ground. I've seen it/felt it too many times, and sometimes even the best laid plans ned to be ditched in order to take full advantage of the vibe of the moment. Yesterday was a classic example of throwing the book away for the last 15 minutes and letting the game play itself out. We had not, until we took Defoe off (and he did not have a great game IMHO) been under siege (though Norwich had played well)...

I would want full freedom of my transfers. Money wouldn't be an option. Although I wouldn't of spent over the odds. I'd of sold Modric by the 1st of August for example. If Madrid didn't come to an agreement by then, then Modric would have stayed and I'd of told him so. I'd never of sold Rafa neither.

........................Friedel........................
Walker......Caulker.......Kaboul......Ekotto
................Sandro.....Dembele...............
....Lennon......van der Vaart..........Bale...
.......................Adebayor......................

would have been my line up for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game.

Levy would never appoint a manager on those terms. ENIC are a business not a charity

An intriguing question will be when Dempsey's ready, he is a natural for the hole really...would this allow Dembele to be the carrier from deeper positions? IF he could, it would be fantastic as he does have everything.

Tangent note, how important will Diaby be to the filth this season? He was excellent today; you can see why Whinger keeps on waiting for him to heal...looked like a developing Ya Ya...

I'd have sold Modric on July 1st for £40m and bought Moutinho for £20m on July 2nd. I'd have told Real and Porto that those were the numbers so sign the papers. I'd have also told Moutinho that £50k pw is more than anyone needs so be thankful for what we are offering. With the money saved I'd have bough Messi for £30m on July 3rd. All sorted with plenty of time for preseason preparation.

All this fussing around negotiating with other clubs and the players is a waste of time. Just tell them what's up and get it done.

Last edited:
..and the opposition. 2 holding players at home against West Brom and Norwich. It's inviting them onto us. It's ok away from home or against a top team. But against those teams at home you go out to attack.

This. I believe our approach was too cautious in both home games. We need to seize the initiative early and play with a higher tempo.

This. I believe our approach was too cautious in both home games. We need to seize the initiative early and play with a higher tempo.

The team showed last year that it panics if they aren't wining going into the 2nd half... or maybe, say, 60 minutes onwards.

Going for it early with superior players would have boosted Spurs and killed off Norwich. Lifted the pressure, allowed them to relax and enjoy playing their game instead of hoping every little error isn't going to cost the game.

Having a 2 and 3 in midfield doesn't have to be negative. Bale and Lennon should almost be like extra forwards. We should have been stretching Norwich all over the pitch. Defoe up front by himself rarely works.

Back