• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What Tottenham Do You Want???

veron23

Banned
Wind Up Merchant
Serious question

On reading fans thoughts on the New Spurs Manager V2 thread it seems all your choices for who you want as the next spurs boss stems from how you see the club.

It seems the latest craving is for Rafa Benitez. It further seems that most fans don't see us as ever having potential to challenge for the title and having Benitez is a good fit as he might win us the odd cup.

For sure winning the odd cup is better than what we now have and we may be content with emulating Liverpool's trophies during the Benitez era. Even I have caught myself for a few minutes thinking its a good idea to get Rafa in to maybe at least enjoy some cup wins.

But we are Tottenham!
In the last few years we've had Bale, Modric, Berbatov and VDV in our shirt! We've been close to glory! We've been close to a title winning team bar a couple of small things that got in our way.

Why should we settle???

In my opinion Rafa will never win us the league. LVG should have tho. Or at least have us challenging. At the very, very least he would have set up foundations that would last long after he'd leave - while he's not soley responsibly for the success of Barca and Bayern he did have something to do with it. He should have done the same for us and set us on a trajectory that would have us challenging for the title at some point in the coming seasons.

So what Tottenham do you want? Do you feel its a pipe dream to see us going for the title one day? Or do you think its best we are content with the odd cup that we might get every few years and should be happy with that? as opposed to going for this romantic appointments such as Ramos, AVB that no big club will go for but may end up a) being an amazing coup or b) setting us back to square one each time? Me personally, id rather keep gambling and hope for the new Pep Guardiola than go for a what you see is what you get type in Benitez etc.

Me personally, I don't believe money and stadiums are the only way to win. It takes a chairman to find the right man, give him time, invest in youth, build a winning mentality and have the balls to keep your best players.
Me personally, if we don't get LVG, need to give FDB a try - who may..just may achieve the above.

But thats because I believe in this club. Maybe if we get Rafa and start winning some cups I may think this aint that bad and can live with this, he is after all better than what we have and if its a choice of Rafa or TS then the choice is no choice at all. Im just hoping our next appointment isn't at the expense of someone like LVG or FDB. I fear if we get someone like the FSW who doesn't play great football, doesn't have a great personality but wins the odd cup we will lose our identity but worst of all be happy with it if it comes with the odd FA Cup or EL.

In my opinion we are better than that. My question isn't what manager do you want, thats on a different thread. My question is.. amongst the Premier League where do you see our great club in the mix.

Judging by most comments it seems some people don't think we belong anywhere near the top

Last edited:
top 4 club that plays in the champions league regularly.

redknapp was it until he made it clear he wanted to use as a stepping stone
avb was it until bale left and we couldn't score and seem to implode at a moments notice
sherwood was never it.

a manager that keeps us scoring and in the champions league year in year out, i think we'll be happy. for a while at least. but because happiness is a relative thing, and that we've suffered so many false dawns and near misses for so long, I think we could do that for the next ten years, not win anything, and still accord legendary status to that manager.

top 4 club that plays in the champions league regularly.

redknapp was it until he made it clear he wanted to use as a stepping stone
avb was it until bale left and we couldn't score and seem to implode at a moments notice
sherwood was never it.

a manager that keeps us scoring and in the champions league year in year out, i think we'll be happy. for a while at least. but because happiness is a relative thing, and that we've suffered so many false dawns and near misses for so long, I think we could do that for the next ten years, not win anything, and still accord legendary status to that manager.

yeah, right.

We will never be happy, look at all the whining pricks at the Sky 4 clubs ..

That said, bar a good dose of financial doping, we won't win the title in the next 5-10 years.

Hence a manager that has us play a decent brand of football, doesn't embarrass the club every time he speaks and can deliver the odd cup every 3 or 4 years, plus the odd foray into CL would be realistic in my opinion.

That said, bar a good dose of financial doping, we won't win the title in the next 5-10 years.

Hence a manager that has us play a decent brand of football, doesn't embarrass the club every time he speaks and can deliver the odd cup every 3 or 4 years, plus the odd foray into CL would be realistic in my opinion.

This!

=D>

i'll take that in a heartbeat

In my opinion Rafa will never win us the league. LVG should have tho. Or at least have us challenging. At the very, very least he would have set up foundations that would last long after he'd leave - while he's not soley responsibly for the success of Barca and Bayern he did have something to do with it. He should have done the same for us and set us on a trajectory that would have us challenging for the title at some point in the coming seasons.

Based on what? I think you're seriously underrating Benitez as a manager. He didn't just win the odd League cup, he took Liverpool to 2 Champions league finals and won one of them. He won La Liga with Valencia. In the major leagues (Spain, Germany, England, Italy), Benitez and Van Gaal have won the same number of trophies, and LVG has probably had better teams to work with.

I'd say the reason people want Benitez is that he could potentially win the league with us.

Also don't forget that the main reason for people backing Benitez at the moment is that LVG seems unavailable.
It's the LVG supporting people that has moved onto Benitez, as he's one of few options that has the experience many look for.
All the rest- deBoer, Pochettino, Tuchel etc. are all unproven and can easily follow in the steps of AVB.
LVG and Benitez we know will deliver.

A ruthless attacking side in the style of Liverpool this season.

A robust defensive side in the style of Chelsea.

A fast passing game where midfielders offer lots of options to the player in possession in the style of Bayern Munich.

Simple, right? hmm.

I want a TottenhaM that everyone is excited to watch. i want someone to bring the sexy back to Spurs.................over to you JT [video=youtube;3gOHvDP_vCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOHvDP_vCs[/video]

I want a Tottenham that is resilient. A side that is extremely hard to beat. A team that can grind out results. One that wins 1-0 10-times in a row. I want a Spurs defence that is rock-solid and so reliable that I can rest my nerves on it.

A manager that will give us a team that plays fast exciting sexy football. I want to enjoy watching matches.

I want a Tottenham that are challenging to win the league every season while playing attractive football, of course! Realistically, I'd like for us to get a manager in with a clear philosophy that goes hand in hand with the philosophy and traditions of the club, playing entertaining attacking football (to dare is to do, etc), that will have us challenging for a top 4 spot year in, year out.

I'm 29 now, and would love for us to win the league at least once before I die. That's like a dream though, can't see it happening, to be honest. :-"

I think we should be able to get 3rd at the minute. Financially we can't compete with City and Chelsea, but with the right structures (we were nearly there) and a smart coach, we should be able to finish ahead of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton.

On a lucky season, or with an exceptional coach (if we do get LVG), we could even fluke the title. 12 months ago we were miles ahead of Liverpool. If we'd kept Bale for one last year and bought Soldado, Paulinho etc., I think we could have won the league this season (esp. as Madrid would have moved for Suarez instead).

But realistically 3-4 seasons of battling for 3rd and winning a few cups. After the stadium is built, the sky is the limit.

Other things I want: confident intelligent possession football, steely technical players, incredible organisation and a coach with integrity.

I want a Tottenham that is resilient. A side that is extremely hard to beat. A team that can grind out results. One that wins 1-0 10-times in a row. I want a Spurs defence that is rock-solid and so reliable that I can rest my nerves on it.

AVB at the start of the season?

I think we should be able to get 3rd at the minute. Financially we can't compete with City and Chelsea, but with the right structures (we were nearly there) and a smart coach, we should be able to finish ahead of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton.

On a lucky season, or with an exceptional coach (if we do get LVG), we could even fluke the title. 12 months ago we were miles ahead of Liverpool. If we'd kept Bale for one last year and bought Soldado, Paulinho etc., I think we could have won the league this season (esp. as Madrid would have moved for Suarez instead).

But realistically 3-4 seasons of battling for 3rd and winning a few cups. After the stadium is built, the sky is the limit.

Other things I want: confident intelligent possession football, steely technical players, incredible organisation and a coach with integrity.

nicely put!

We are not close to competing for the title and haven't been close in the past few decades either. I know some of our fans have fallen into this habit but there's hasn't been one summer where I've looked at our squad, our manager, looked at competitors and said 'yeah we can win or even challenge for the league'.

I want to win trophies. And if possible, I want to play in the cl as much as possible. I want us to win attacking football as much as possible but most importantly I want us to play winning football. If occasionally, we have to sit back, absorb pressure etc etc and play like crap but we still pick up wins, I don't care if it's on the way to a trophy or top 4 finish.

Back